Shrimp, Very Small Water Volume
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
dstevenson2k
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

Shrimp, Very Small Water Volume

So I have a 2.5 gallon aquarium set up as a paludarium. Half the tank is aquasoil for growing a selection of emersed plants, then I have a rock wall to hold back the substrate, and the other half of the tank is a little pond of sorts.

The water area measures about 5in x 6in x 4in deep. Based on these dimensions the water area holds .43 gallons of water, but with the water level right below the substrate on the land portion I'd estimate there's at least .5 gallons of water total in tank.

The water area has no heater or filter, but it is full of plants like Salvinia, Riccia, and various mosses. Would this be suitable to add any kind of small shrimp to, or is it just too small/unstable to support shrimp? And if not shrimp, is there any other kind of inhabitant that would be suitable for a setup like this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
dstevenson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Not sure if it's suitable or not but I wouldn't feel good about putting something alive in such a tiny area. Even if it is "just shrimp".
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
dstevenson2k
Algae Grower

That's why I was asking. I don't really think of them as "just shrimp," they are living creatures just like anything else we keep in our tanks. I know it's a very small area and I was wondering if there was any small shrimp/invertebrate that could comfortably live there.

If not, watching the riccia pearl will be the most activity in there, and I'm just fine with that
Old 05-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Destroyer551
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

I can see at least 2-3 female RCS getting along just fine in that amount of space, especially with good plant growth to filter the water.
Destroyer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
dudebro
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Shrimp, Very Small Water Volume

I think you would need constant OCD attention to keeps the shrimps alive and happy. Its possible but leaves no room for error. Snails perhaps.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #6
dstevenson2k
Algae Grower

What would be the smallest I could keep some shrimp in? I've seen plenty of 1 gallon or so shrimp bowls... If I were to do some rearranging and make the pond a bit larger, say 6 x 6 x 5in deep, would this be acceptable to house a couple shrimp? That would put the water area at about .8 gallons, probably closer to a gallon total with the water level right below the substrate. Does that sound a bit better?

Or maybe it's just time start another tank As if I needed an excuse anyways haha
Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
pucksr
Algae Grower

It is " just shrimp". You keep tons of living creatures in tanks that you don't care about at all.
No one cries when planaria die, or when daphnia die. We purposefully make our tanks hostile/deadly/painful for ich. All of these are living creatures.
A few dwarf shrimp could live in a container that size. Maintaining water quality might be difficult. I would go for it. If you have an active ecology of plant life, that should keep everything healthy.
pucksr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucksr View Post
It is " just shrimp". You keep tons of living creatures in tanks that you don't care about at all.
No one cries when planaria die, or when daphnia die. We purposefully make our tanks hostile/deadly/painful for ich. All of these are living creatures.
A few dwarf shrimp could live in a container that size. Maintaining water quality might be difficult. I would go for it. If you have an active ecology of plant life, that should keep everything healthy.
But the thing is we don't put planaria or ich in the tanks. They are there because the system is suitable for them. Somebody has to physically put the shrimp in there, and just because they might be able to survive it doesn't mean they'd be healthy or comfortable. No different than betta cups or goldfish bowls. While I feel broad statements like "I'd never do anything less than 5G" or "20G per goldfish" are a bit rigid and don't account for filtration, maintenance, plants, etc, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask for guidelines based on others' experience and opinions.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
pucksr
Algae Grower

I might get worried about causing discomfort for fish. Shrimp, however, are just bugs. We put daphnia in our tanks all the time and either allow them to be eaten or die off.
Concerning yourself over the "comfort" of an organism which is infamous for invasively penetrating water systems seems misplaced.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
Destroyer551
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

Quote:
I might get worried about causing discomfort for fish. Shrimp, however, are just bugs. We put daphnia in our tanks all the time and either allow them to be eaten or die off.
Concerning yourself over the "comfort" of an organism which is infamous for invasively penetrating water systems seems misplaced.

In reality, the shrimp we keep are equal to roaches. We just prefer one to the other.

Plus one isn't butt-ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Destroyer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #11
AdamC13
Algae Grower

maybe a couple snails? or A snail?
AdamC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #12
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
So that's where you draw the line, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with someone worrying about their shrimp. I've seen people condemn others for NOT caring, such as using fish to cycle a tank, but never for caring.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #13
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i would put some kind of frog in there. with that little bit of water and still some land i think it would be a nice small frog home. but the trick will be finding a frog that stays small. maybe a tree frog?
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #14
dstevenson2k
Algae Grower

Well based on everyone's responses, I think I will try to put a few cheap RCS in there and see how they do. If they look out of place/too big, or start dying then I'll remove them and start a dedicated tank.

With the amount of plants I have in there, I really don't see water quality being an issue especially considering the small amount of waste shrimp produce. I was more worried about them being too big and looking out of place in such a small volume of water. I guess I'll be the judge when they're in there.

And not to sound cruel, but best case scenario if I can get the shrimp to breed the shrimplets are going to end up as tasty snacks for a Figure 8 puffer I have in my brackish tank

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'm going to go for it. Might even start a journal in the tank thread section for those who are interested in seeing.

Best regards,
Dan
Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
pucksr
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksmom View Post
So that's where you draw the line, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with someone worrying about their shrimp. I've seen people condemn others for NOT caring, such as using fish to cycle a tank, but never for caring.
I just wanted to keep things in perspective. I think we get attached to the animals that we place in our aquariums. That is perfectly understandable, I just wanted to make sure that everyone was clear that getting concerned about "cruelty to shrimp" is a bit like getting concerned about cruelty to ants in an Ant Farm.

Just a bit of advice on keeping shrimp in such a small space. Start with juveniles if you can catch them. It won't be much to look at, but the impact on the ecosystem will be minimal and you won't have any breeding right away. I have done this in even smaller containers and had great success.