RCS tank trouble
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
pastert33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

RCS tank trouble

I am having a problem in my cherry tank. I have had quite a few deaths since last week. I've tested params last week and the only alarming thing was nitrite was 1.0 and nitrates was 40(always have been this high even with floaters). After seeing params I started doing daily water changes. Well after a long day of work yesterday, I was unable to. Tonight, I tested params again and this is what I get:

KH-2
GH-6
PH-6.0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-40
A-0

What could be the issue? I was dosing with ferts(macro,micro) and also running co2(1 or 2bps) but have stopped since the deaths. This is in a 20G long tank.

Any help would be appreciated
pastert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

If you saw nitrite, you'd had an ammonia spike. Maybe deaths that you were unaware of? Or maybe a body that didn't get devoured and ended up creating more waste than the tank was used to?

Any deaths after that were the result of the spike. Nitrite is toxic.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
pastert33
Algae Grower

I figured that I cleaned the canister too good which resulted in the nitrites. I cleaned it on Tuesday or last week and have had at least one dead shrimp everyday since. Not sure what else to do. Tonight, there are at least 2 shrimp I've found on there sides but when trying to net them, they swim away. I'm expecting them to not be living in the am.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

How long has the tank been up and how long have the shrimp been in? pH seems a little low for cherries and nitrates are borderline too high.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
pastert33
Algae Grower

The tank has been running for a year plus. The shrimp have been in for 7-8 months. I just found another dead berried mommy. Not sure this could be from a "spike" as i just tested the params 2 hrs ago. Nothing was out of the ordinary except nitrates and that has always been 20-40 since having the shrimp. Anything I can do to stop the deaths?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default RCS tank trouble

Water changes to get the nitrates down. The water you're changing with has to have the exact same parameters as the water you're taking out minus the ammonia nitrate and nitrite
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #7
$AN DIEGO N8
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

water changes and mosura shizen powder maybe
$AN DIEGO N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

It can definitely be from the spike. Death isn't always instantaneous. Gills could have been burned a week ago but they're only just now dying off. Tough to say without knowing tons more about your tank.

You really need to get the nitrates down. While likely not killing them, it's tough on shrimp. As others have suggested, water changes will help with them. As will identifying why you're having such high nitrates. Fertilizer? Root tabs? Overfeeding? Less than great filter maintenance? All of the above?

One thing you should never do is clean filter media in anything but old tank water you're removing during water changes. You run the risk of killing off bacteria if you're using tap water and if you're scrubbing the surfaces of the filter down, you're losing tons of precious beneficial bacteria.

Allow your tank to stabilize, don't mess when rescaping, the substrate, don't move things around. Allow everything to settle for a couple weeks and watch your shrimp closely. Share high resolution photos here so we can help you figure things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastert33 View Post
The tank has been running for a year plus. The shrimp have been in for 7-8 months. I just found another dead berried mommy. Not sure this could be from a "spike" as i just tested the params 2 hrs ago. Nothing was out of the ordinary except nitrates and that has always been 20-40 since having the shrimp. Anything I can do to stop the deaths?
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

What are the nitrates out of the tap? You may need RO water if you have high nitrates out of the tap. Most shrimpers tend to try and stay below 10, definitely below 20.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
pastert33
Algae Grower

I don't believe I've ever checked the nitrates out of the tap. Will do this tonight if I have time.