6.6 gallon planted setup advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
Bropez
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

6.6 gallon planted setup advice

So I was gifted the 6.6 gallon petco bookshelf aquarium for my birthday. I have a few tanks and all of them have live plants that do very well but I decided that I would like to finally make a proper planted tank with this one. I have a rough plan but would like your guys input as you are the experts.

Tank: Petco 6.6 gallon bookshelf

Substrate: Eco complete or flourite. Is one better than the other? I dont know alot about either. All my other tanks either have normal gravel, play sand, or black diamond blasting sand in them.

Light: It comes with a hood that has a 15w bulb. That puts me over 2w/gallon and I imagine that since the light will be so close I should be good. I am going to replace the bulb with a power glo bulb.

Filter: Looking for suggestions on this for sure. It comes with one that I imagine will be fine but if there is a better option I'm open to suggestions.

Heater: Not sure yet but probably one of the preset little tetra submersibles.

Plants: I have only previously grown swords, and other super easy plants so this will definitely be an adventure for me.

Carpet: Dwarf baby tears
Background: Dwarf hair grass
Other: Really want some blyxa japonica in there and I will need to decide on a moss

Scape: Going to be trying the whole bonsai tree look. Gonna go for a light hill and maybe a few rocks. If I do rocks I want them pushing out of the green hard.

Fish and stuff: Havent nailed down the fish yet but fish will be the very last thing that goes into the tank after I have looking the way I want but I guess its pretty important to decide on the fish in the beginning.

Options I'm interested in(of course taking suggestions)

Dario Dario
Shrimps
Cory cats (they ok in carpeted tanks?)
Rainbow furcata
Neon or cardinal tetra
Endler males
ember tetras
had horrible luck with borraras briggatae but might give a cheaper option a try. $60 dollars worth of fish all mysteriously dead in a species only 30g.
I enjoy breeding things if that helps with any suggestions.

CO2: Heard about some DIY options here. Really just want the EASIEST option. If that means dropping an extra 20 bucks its worth it. If DIY is just as good but more than 50 dollars cheaper I would rather just go with the DIY

Really appreciate any help you guys can give me here. I am very excited about finally setting up a proper tank
Bropez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

Substrate: Both have a high CEC, so it's up to you - whichever you prefer. If it were me, I'd go with a nutrient-rich substrate like ADA Aquasoil if I wanted to use carpeting plants.

Lighting: Ignore "watts per gallon" and check out the sticky in the Lighting sub-forum for details about how to determine your lighting level. Watts Per Gallon isn't really a thing with modern fixtures.

Filtration: The HOB that comes with your tank should be fine. You should be able to use whatever filter media you prefer.

Heater: Won't be necessary for shrimp, Cories or Endlers.

Livestock: Since the tank is small, you'll want to stick with limited inhabitants to avoid overcrowding. It's way too small for Neons or Cardinals. A pair of Dario dario could work. A shrimp-only tank would be great. Endlers could work if you keep the population under control or stick with males only.

CO2: DIY works well for a lot of members. While I have several pressurized units, I still use DIY with champagne yeast on a few tanks. Those bottles usually last me 2.5-3 months before I have to refill with sugar and water. If you check the DIY sub-forum out, you'll find that it's pretty cheap to get started. Empty 2-litre bottle, empty smaller bottle to use as a bubble counter/junk trapper, silicone, airline tubing and whatever yeast you prefer. Should be well under $10 for everything.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Fish/shrimp love to jump out of the 6.6 tank, probably cause it's shallow so you'll tend to fill it up to the top, and then there is a cutout along the back that they can easily escape from. I've also had fish jump into the HOB that came with it and get torn to shreds.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Bropez
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Fish/shrimp love to jump out of the 6.6 tank, probably cause it's shallow so you'll tend to fill it up to the top, and then there is a cutout along the back that they can easily escape from. I've also had fish jump into the HOB that came with it and get torn to shreds.
I was thinking of either getting a sponge filter or using a 10 gallon tetra whisper filter
Bropez is offline   Reply With Quote