New house, new tank. 240 gallon adventure - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #46
Bruce_S
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I suppose you could try to catch the little kribs between the plants with a siphon hose . . .

Beautiful tank, and obviously happy residents!

~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #47
Xirxes
Algae Grower

Planning for all adults to be out by weeks end.

Creating a fry/baby catching rig (2" intake screen with food inside hooked to 1" ID hose filled and controlled with ball valve).

Let the babies in, then pop the valve and suck them all out at once into 30 gallon tub.

I will document closely and post results!

I plan to add in some locally grown blue rams to replace the 16 adult kribs. They should have a harder time breeding.

Last edited by Xirxes; 08-20-2013 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: Update
Xirxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #48
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Awesome tank...good luck getting that fry! Blue rams will look great in that tank.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #49
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

AWESOME TANK!!!

Did you ever get a answer from the tank maker as to why the tank cracked??? That would have freaked me the hell out!!! I have had 30g of water on the living room floor from a overturned trashcan/water tank that had R/O water in it and it flooded the entire room!!! I could only imagine 240g of water on the floor!!

The plants are looking very healthy, and fish are obviously happy with all of the spawning going on! The Kribs in my 55g are filling it up with babys, so I can only imagine what they are doing in the 240! I have a dozen albino corys helping to thin out the fry some, but once they get a bit of size to them the corys ignore them! From the 6 Kribs I started with 6 months or so ago I now have 14+! So I am thinking on going to German Rams too!

I too think the P. chain Swords are getting a bit to big! They are hiding the cool wood you have! Can they handle trimming down, or will they die off? Never had them before, so I don't know. Maybe the crypt Parva will stay shorter for you!

Anyway keep up the great work on the beautiful aquarium!!!
Drew

p.s. subscribed!
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #50
Xirxes
Algae Grower

The tank mfg blamed my stand ( not likely, I checked its construction for level and contact in every direction possible, but this kept them from having to pay for it ). I think it was a defect sealed into the bottom rail that cracked it.

I am giving the tank a week long break from the maintenance process (read: I'm lazy this week). No additives, no water change, no filter clean. Work has been heavy and remodels/baby on the way.

Next week tank gets an overhaul. I am going to move some plantings around and trim down the chain swords heavily, see how they respond. Also Co2 has about 2 weeks left 400 lbs left.

I currently have 300+ kribs growing in the tank. Haven't had the time to harvest them out. They nibbled up the fine stem plants heavily.

I will post pics when the overhaul is done. Right now the overgrown stems are blocking light on half the tank, changing the growth rate of lower growing plants.

Check back in a week for progress!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #51
Xirxes
Algae Grower

It has been quite some time, but i gave the aquarium a much needed overhaul this weekend, and figured i would post some before and after shots.

Everything is growing well, i usually scoop out about 30-50 young kribensis with each heavy plant trimming and take them in with the plants for credit at my LFS.

Originally i had a dozen platinum angels, but i believe that they had some genetic frailties, because these fish, and only these fish, became ill frequently, and despite many rounds of treatment, the last of the fish survived only until about 2 weeks ago.

60 Cardinal tetras due in next week, to keep the livestock smaller.

Enjoy!

Before:

After:

Old 02-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #52
drb
Algae Grower

Very nice cuz!
drb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #53
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

beautiful tank, love the white background

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.