New house, new tank. 240 gallon adventure - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #16
Xirxes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The 240 is BACK IN ACTION!

I received the tank, stand and canopy yesterday, everything was moved last night, and i am starting with a bit different, more "Scape" inspired layout.

My other piece of Manzanita is not quite soaked yet, so this is how she looks for now.

Still figuring out how to best utilize this frosted window treatment background... maybe with a backlight? Still need to hide cords a bit, could use any experience and advice with these backgrounds on large aquariums.

Just noticed that the large angel pair are already cleaning a rock for egg laying DAY ONE.
Xirxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
Xirxes
Algae Grower

This background is annoying. Air bubbles persist at day 3, and now that it is against the wall, I fear are permanent if I leave it be. Might switch to black background if I cannot get this to work out.

I added another piece of manzanita, letting it waterlogged in tank.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:36 AM   #18
Xirxes
Algae Grower

This week's update: First time ever Green Water starting and Co2 hooked up.

After heavily planting the dwarf chain swords, i added one single Root fertilizer tab broken into 5 parts, in the areas below the swords (Growpower 12-8-8 slow release tabs). It looks like the plants are loving it, but i believe that green water is setting in. It began as a white cloudiness, and today is beginning to take on a green tinge.

I have been feeding heavily and the fertilizer could not have helped. That coupled with all new water less than a week ago and there we go, green water.

Now i cleaned the filter thoroughly (not the biomedia sillies), placed in fine mat filtering, and recharged my 2 large sacks or Purigen. I also hooked up the Co2 on 1bubble/sec input to the FX5 intake today, i am hoping that this will help the cycle along.

Lastly, i have a 15 watt HoB Aqua Ultraviolet advantage 2000+ on order, with a pondmaster mag 7 to power it.

This green water algae doesn't stand a chance!

Anyways im off to check the No3 in the tank, make sure levels are not way off.

Last edited by Xirxes; 06-26-2013 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: Changed picture
Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #19
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Whoa! Sweet system Xirxes!! Love the angels! It'll be awesome once it fills in. Are you planning on letting the chain swords take over? I think that would look great. I would leave the background as it is. I think that there is some good contrast there, and adding a black background against a dark substrate might have the effect of losing that contrast and losing some of that dimension.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #20
Xirxes
Algae Grower

Yes, i am looking for a full carpet of the pygmy chain swords, except for maybe a thin strip in the middle, acting like a path, that i will keep diligently cleared.

My two largest angels are spawning right now, and they are trying to defend their young from two LARGE clown loaches (7" each), and the loaches are nipping at them in order to get to the fry.

As mentioned before i used to have 90% plant coverage, and these fish are not used to such an open environment. I hope they figure out their new digs soon and settle back into the groove.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #21
Xirxes
Algae Grower

Tonight's project: Modify FX5 output for bleed line to new 15 watt UV filter.

Status: Wet, but complete! Overtightened clamps on Clear vinyl sections led to some initial leaks, but now we are a go!

I should be putting somewhere near 400 gph to the unit with current valve settings, and i am fully expecting to have crystal clear water by tomorrow AM. These units work very fast in aquaria.

BTW if you were interested: 3/4" OD pvc is the perfect snug inside fit for FLuval FX5 factory hose! Top run heads up to HOB 15 watt Aqua uv Advantage 2000+.

Fits like a glove! (Although the clamp had to be rotated in order for that glove to fit.)

Official UV light turn on time: 10:00 pm PST. I will post the exact time when full clarity of water is reached.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #22
Xirxes
Algae Grower

Update time!

20 hours run of UV unit, i would estimate a 50% clarity improvement. I would say at this rate, 3 days until crystal clear water column.

No3 is measuring at 7-10ppm.

After third day of Co2, set to 2 bubbles/sec, many of the plants are now pearling, i just love watching this:

On to the next step: Co2 Drop Checker and fertilizers

Thinking about this unit for drop checker:

Looking at doing a Modified EI dosing, rate it for 100 gallons until i get my Cycle in order, and many MANY more plants.

Latest full tank shot:

Last edited by Xirxes; 06-28-2013 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: added photo
Old 06-29-2013, 04:34 AM   #23
Xirxes
Algae Grower

The tank has been up and running for 1.5 weeks and this is how all of the Tests measure out:

NH3: 0 ppm
NO2: 0 ppm
NO3: 8-10 ppm
pH: 6.4
KH: 1-2 dKH
GH: 0-1 dGH
Temp: 78F

Based on this, i am calculating that i have 12-24ppm of CO2, but my drop checker is showing quite high, 45ppm+.

Having used tank water, i am not sure how that changes the drop checker, as it did not include 4dKH liquid. Also i have not given it a few hours to equilibrate either. I will see how it settles out.

Aquarium now has 75-80% clarity back, will take some shots once back to 100%.

Fertilizers are in the mail.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #24
Xirxes
Algae Grower

The cheap drop checker I got in town said to use aquarium water, and because my KH is so low, it was misreading.

I created some stock ~4dKH solution from 4 ml RO/DI water and 1.5 ml Tap ( tested thrice at 3.5-4 dKH), and viola! Green co2 drop checker fluid! Chemistry fun.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #25
Xirxes
Algae Grower

All of the Kribensis have paired off, will probably have 3 separate broods of young by end of next week.

Here is a short full tank video:
http://youtu.be/YvLP66BqkJE

and a closeup of one of the male Kribensis
http://youtu.be/0tTRo80lUSE

enjoy.

Last edited by Xirxes; 06-30-2013 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: update
Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #26
Xirxes
Algae Grower

I saw some posts on this forum about backlighting through the opaque background with LED, then i ran into some nice blue LED,s and thought to give it a go.

I also planted 4 new plant groups, some Sunset Cryptocryne Wendtii, a small moneywort, or bacopa ( not sure, will ahve to get a proper ID on everything once done!), a large group of red Cabomba, and some Rotala indica.

Finally busted out the old DSLR for this set

Here is the tank shot with all lights on, blue backlighting:

and, sleepytime for fishes:

Any thoughts on aquascapng/plantings will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xirxes View Post

Any thoughts on aquascapng/plantings will be greatly appreciated.

Looks good. Give it a few months to fill in before making any major changes
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #28
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

Those angels look so tiny in that huge tank.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #29
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I think this is already looking good and will be great as the plantings mature. I like the islands look. I personally am not a big fan of the light colored background. Especially with the platinum angels I am thinking a black background would look best. If you had black angels then you would need no change IMO. Keep us posted on the progress!
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #30
Xirxes
Algae Grower

I feel that way as well about the background, but the real goal is to have a number of large background plants that stand out well, then the platinums will pop against the plants.

I have also always had black backgrounds, wanted to try something different. Maybe I will fit a black board or felt behind the opaque background to darken it up for a test.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.