Stone testing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Stone testing

When testing stones with vinegar (no access to muartic acid), how much of a reaction are we looking for?

I tested a stone, and there was only a spot or two that the vinegar touched that fizzed however it only lasted a second of two. Are you looking for a longer or larger reaction or does that little bit mean the stone is not neutral?
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Vinegar really isn't very reliable for this sort of test. Although, it's all a lot of people have access to. Try scratching up a bit of the rock before trying the vinegar test - the increased surface area will make the reaction easier, and also it will help to produce some fresh mineral, sometimes the exterior can be weathered and less reactive.

It's also worth doing a scratch test- get a nail or a beater knife, and try scratching the rock with it. If it doesn't scratch, it's probably a silicate, and most likely safe. If it does scratch... it's not necessarily unsafe, but it's more likely that it will be a carbonate.

I'd take any apparent reaction as an indicator that carbonates are present. Especially if you are restricted to using vinegar.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: Stone testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Vinegar really isn't very reliable for this sort of test. Although, it's all a lot of people have access to. Try scratching up a bit of the rock before trying the vinegar test - the increased surface area will make the reaction easier, and also it will help to produce some fresh mineral, sometimes the exterior can be weathered and less reactive.

It's also worth doing a scratch test- get a nail or a beater knife, and try scratching the rock with it. If it doesn't scratch, it's probably a silicate, and most likely safe. If it does scratch... it's not necessarily unsafe, but it's more likely that it will be a carbonate.

I'd take any apparent reaction as an indicator that carbonates are present. Especially if you are restricted to using vinegar.
Works for me, thank you for the response!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
wheeling
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
When testing stones with vinegar (no access to muartic acid), how much of a reaction are we looking for?

I tested a stone, and there was only a spot or two that the vinegar touched that fizzed however it only lasted a second of two. Are you looking for a longer or larger reaction or does that little bit mean the stone is not neutral?
The test is to detect carbonate rocks, mostly calcium carbonate, it will react with most acids and gives CO2 as bubbles, the bubbling will stop when the acid is consumed. So you don't need a lot, just a few are enough to show that it is a carbonate, not good to your tank. Scratch is also a good way, but not as reliable.

Last edited by wheeling; 06-07-2013 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: typos
wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote