using dirt for nano planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
biscuit2014
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

using dirt for nano planted tank

I have been researching planted tanks, and found alot of info on the benefit of using Miracle Grow Choice organic potting soil....then a top thin layer of gravel for a planted tank. All of this info though was for larger tanks. nothing about Nano tanks, i should be getting my Fluval Spec V today and want to get it started with at least substrate and a few plants. has anyone here used dirt for a nano tank. or is it too small and area ? i worry it will just stay too cloudy and messy? thanks again!!!!!
biscuit2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Redtail84
Algae Grower

It works for nanos. I have a 2.5 gallon with that potting soil capped with sand, and it is doing pretty well. One thing I can say is that whether it's 1 gallon or 100 gallons, rescaping is messy and I would advise against it unless you have a lot of time for clean up. Even in my 2.5, if I'm moving a well rooted plant, it takes the soil up through the cap and makes a mess. The method works, though. I like it because you don't have to worry about strong light, ferts or CO2, and the plants will still grow pretty well.
Redtail84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
biscuit2014
Algae Grower

ok, great thanks. that was my plan! and I also plan on taking my sweet time placing my plants etc. ! i have a lot of time on my hands right now anyway!!!! cant wait to get my tank today and get it set up!!!! i will be sure and post some pics through the process. thanks redtail84....
Old 07-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Believe you want potting mix, not soil. Should be in an orange bag. I have three dirt tanks, a 2.5g, a 4g, and a 6g. All are just fine. I recommend sifting the dirt first, and using a sand rather than gravel cap.

Have fun!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Potting "mix" contains additives and usually little to no actual dirt. Potting "soil" is mostly dirt with a few sticks and stones. The extra fertilizers in the"mix" can help the plants grow better, but I think might have an effect on water parameters. The "soil" is more natural, but might not contain as much nutritional value for your plants. None of this factors in fish waste and other things like uneaten food.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Normally, yes. I should have been more clear. I was recommending Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix. Dirt + sticks, basically.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
biscuit2014
Algae Grower

got ya, so why sand and not gravel? just looks or is there a technical reason?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

i would recommend sand over gravel, especially at a nano level

the small grain size helps make the tank look larger than it is, imo
plus i feel like it is better and holding down the dirt.

my 0.02
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
biscuit2014
Algae Grower

ok, great thanks alot for the info!!! you guys are very friendly and active on this forum!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Depending on the size you need, it's also perfectly possible to sift flourite--or a similar product--to get just the smaller sized particles for my pico-tanks (sizes ranging from 1x1x2.5" up to a 3" diameter bowl).

A bit of screen tacked to cheap wood picture frame makes a pretty good sieve, though in my case I just grabbed a fine grade fruit sieve out of my kitchen drawer.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
biscuit2014
Algae Grower

good idea about the sieve. it just arrived via UPS! will get started on rinsing etc. tomorrow!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #12
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No rinsing needed. At least, I don't. Just sieve and go. I usually put a line of sand around the edge so you don't see the layers, soil in the middle, sand cap on top. Put some plastic down, fill to a few inches above the cap, plant, fill all the way. Easy peasy.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
biscuit2014
Algae Grower

sorry, i meant rinsing out the tank etc for dust.... i like the idea of edging then putting the soil in the middle! thanks a lot...i see MTS coming on now!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
maximusprime
Algae Grower

I'm sure it will work, but I think the biggest benefit of using dirt is that it is super cheap, and when planting a large tank, the idea of spending a hundred bucks on substrate is hard to swallow. I use dirt in my big tank and I love it, but it has it's disadvantages, especially if you want to move things around. I would go with aquasoil, or other pricy substrate for a nano. No reason not to in my opinion.
maximusprime is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #15
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

It works the same. As some have stated, it has its disadvantages. I have said it in other threads but I like to use much less than other members (only like 1/4-1/2 in) and that works about the same. I then use a bigger cap. The main reason I do this is because I have had the soil become anaerobic a few times. That has never happened to me when I use a lot less. A few side benefits are it is easier to move plants as the cap is not just bigger but it seems to contain the dirt a bit. When you restart, you have 80% substrate, 20% soil so you can just rinse and reuse if you please.

I actually love this way for my nano's, not that it applies to nano's specifically but all my nano iterations in the past few years are mediumish light, no co2, light flow, low bioload, super heavily planted. Works great for that in general, just happens to be what I have done with my nanos.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.