Candle Bowl - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #31
mckolit
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajacobs View Post
on fish and shrimp.

Maybe it might be easier to keep it an only plant bowl?
I'm thinking so too. Decision has been made for me because of the deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
You should keep it plants only...any water parameter changes will be magnified since it's such a small volume of water in the bowl; hence the dead shrimp and fish up to this point. CO2 for a small bowl like this also seems like overkill - the bowl is nice and small and simple, no need to complicate things with CO2.
I won't put any fish or shrimp for a while. I'll get a test kit and maybe leave the co2 on to help the plants and then cut it off when I plan to add shrimp or fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
Nice start, too bad you've had a few rough patches. I'd say you could def try for some fauna in here again, but take it much slower; you seem to be rushing things quite a bit. First have this bowl up and running WITHOUT changing anything around- moving bowls, adding co2 etc- so it has a chance to fully stabilize and the plants become well established. Aim for the bowl to have crystal clear water (it will happen) and for the plant growth to look like an overgrown jungle before you put any live animals in (should take at least a few months). Then when you do add livestock, go low and slow. I'm not surprised you lost the original two shrimp, adding 10 at once in 4" of water in an uncycled system is bound to create problems. Try adding about two or three shrimp at a time, then waiting a week before deciding to add more or not- or better yet, just let them breed on their own to get more. Don't plan on feeding anything you have too often; when it's established, the shrimp should get enough food from algae and other pickings that they need to sustain themselves, with maybe a very, VERY small supplemental feeding once a week or less, which should be gone in a matter of minutes; not only will the (smallest amounts of) uneaten food create major problems, but you must also take into consideration the waste the shrimp will produce when they pass the food, and whether your plants will be able to handle that. The objective is to add in as little outside organics into this system as possible which could cause water quality to become ill. Good move on the duckweed, that's great for sucking nitrates and other nasties that come with a new system, but make sure you remove it before it gets so overgrown that layers form and the bottom starts decomposing. I'd recommend that you steer away from fish unless you've had experience with this type of setup before, or you go for an air-breather (betta is your most likely solution), but be prepared to siphon detriusfrom the bottom with regular water changes if you do. (my fish recommendation otherwise would be a single Heterodon formosa). C02 is a no-no for this type of system, and you may want to consider setting a desk lamp on it (not one that will get too hot) to increase the plants' photosynthetic rates, which will result in higher oxygen output. But I totally agree; before this progresses any further, a test kit is the way to go! don't get discouraged and don't give up, the one thing that these things take is patience.
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I'll do my best to keep it plants only for as long as possible. I'll monitor the duckweed. I think the batch I have in there is already close to being multiple layers. Now to just watch the plants grow.
mckolit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #32
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

+1 JeremyM. For that small I'd use excel if anything, easier to control how much you add. DIY co2 is hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #33
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

This is the same michaels bowl, its a topsoil substrate with a cap. And decent amount of plants. I check the water parameters every other day and do water changes as needed. Water was perfect before I did a rescape and added a couple root tabs. So now I have to do water changes as I did before. This bowl has 10 shrimp and 4 adult ramdhorn snails that lay eggs on everything. Which are now hatching. Its gonna be a snail invasion
Here's a couple pictures. Sorry about the glare, its right by a window and its early morning. But I just started yesterday dosing excel and flourish. I bought an eye dropper and did 3 drops flourish and 2 drops excel. I'll keep it low for now so I don't kill anything. It sits under a 13w bulb in a desk light which will soon be a 3w led solarflare so my plants should really take off. I have to scoop the floaters out every couple of days as they thicken up quick.

Last edited by tattooedfool83; 06-18-2014 at 11:39 AM..
tattooedfool83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #34
mckolit
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
This is the same michaels bowl, its a topsoil substrate with a cap. And decent amount of plants. I check the water parameters every other day and do water changes as needed. Water was perfect before I did a rescape and added a couple root tabs. So now I have to do water changes as I did before. This bowl has 10 shrimp and 4 adult ramdhorn snails that lay eggs on everything. Which are now hatching. Its gonna be a snail invasion
Here's a couple pictures. Sorry about the glare, its right by a window and its early morning. But I just started yesterday dosing excel and flourish. I bought an eye dropper and did 3 drops flourish and 2 drops excel. I'll keep it low for now so I don't kill anything. It sits under a 13w bulb in a desk light which will soon be a 3w led solarflare so my plants should really take off. I have to scoop the floaters out every couple of days as they thicken up quick.

That'll look great when it fills up. How many gallons is the bowl? I did a calculation for a sphere but minus the space taken by the substrate and the top cut off, don't know how much is left.
mckolit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #35
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

I believe its 3. So probably 2.5 with the substrate. I'm only guessing though. I use a 1 quart bottle to do water changes and it takes like 3-4 to do a 50% water change. I just did a rescaoe and have some drift wood soaking. But I'm thinking about getting another one.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #36
Water7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Mckolit, I am sorry to hear about your fish and shrimp deaths. I hope that your plant bowl works out for you!
Water7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #37
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasoonv View Post
Here is mine. Though I realize I made it a bit too small. Will need to get a bigger bowl and ball. Bacopa and red ludwiga is growing fine, glosso not as much.Attachment 143514
How's this looking today ? Can you tell us the specs and how you keep it ? (i.e. water changes, ferts, lighting & photoperiod, etc...)

Thanks !
jfynyson is online now   Reply With Quote