Candle Bowl - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #16
mckolit
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeskin View Post
won't the emersed section of the java moss dry out?
I'm afraid it will. I can't get a spray bottle because it'll be too sloppy for my desk so I'll have to figure something out.
mckolit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #17
mckolit
Algae Grower

The shrimp started slowing down this afternoon. Will see in a couple days if it was from acclimating or dying. But it did allow me to get a better picture. Color also appeared to be getting darker.

Now all I need is to bring a better camera to get decenter? pics.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #18
mckolit
Algae Grower

Lost one shrimp so not too bad. Shrimp food came today also. Some om nom nom from somewhatshocked. Shrimp'll be eating good tomorrow. The bowl is a bit crowded with the two wabi kusa balls. I'll dismantle the one with the sweet potato vine and just put that thing in a normal pot.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #19
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Sorry to hear about your shrimp.
Sajacobs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
mckolit
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajacobs View Post
Sorry to hear about your shrimp.
One's not bad. I was ready for more. Guess that's why they're considered hardy.

Threw shrimp food in there this morning. Had only one shrimp munching on it for a bit. Now there's two and a third one's just hanging back a bit just looking.

EDIT:

An hour later I see eight of em hanging around. Will see if a ninth one shows up or if I actually lost two shrimp.

Last edited by mckolit; 05-23-2013 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 05-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #21
mckolit
Algae Grower

Pic with eight of them. Seven around the food.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #22
binbin9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

That rotala looks great!
binbin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #23
mckolit
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin9 View Post
That rotala looks great!

Moved the potato vine over to a mug.

Added some pygmy chain swords. Not so pygmy in the bowl.

All remaining nine RCSs still there.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #24
mckolit
Algae Grower

Moved everything over to a bigger bowl. Picked it up from Michael's. Looking for driftwood to put java moss on so for right now it's in the container next to the bowl.

Also doing diy co2

Everything's a little cooler here in the office so it took a while for the co2 to get rolling. I actually thought I killed the yeast on my first bottle so I did another batch. I was hearing this sound which I thought was my cpu, but it turns out it was the co2 coming out of the airstone. Gotta change the airstone setup. Bubbles coming out way too big. Don't smoke, so the cigarette filter thing's out the window so I'll have to try a chopstick.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
mckolit
Algae Grower

Ends up we have a stash of chopsticks here in the office so I went ahead and replaced the airstone. Much better. I lucked out though with the bigger bubbles. The office was dark the whole weekend so I would've definitely gassed the shrimp if I had proper sized bubbles going. Guess I'll just have to take the tube out of the bowl for the weekends.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #26
mckolit
Algae Grower

Unfortunately all the rcs died after I added the co2. I'm thinking of going with white cloud mountain minnows next. Maybe 2 or 3.

As the bowl stands now.

Got some duckweed in a raok.

I am waiting on a piece of wood from my plum tree to dry up and I'll put that in the middle to stick the anubias and java fern on.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #27
mckolit
Algae Grower

There's a fish store close to work. Only thing they had small enough was guppies. I picked up three. I put them in a small container and slowly added water from the bowl in there then put them in the bowl. They all instantly died. Time to get a test kit.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #28
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

on fish and shrimp.

Maybe it might be easier to keep it an only plant bowl?
Sajacobs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #29
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

You should keep it plants only...any water parameter changes will be magnified since it's such a small volume of water in the bowl; hence the dead shrimp and fish up to this point. CO2 for a small bowl like this also seems like overkill - the bowl is nice and small and simple, no need to complicate things with CO2.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #30
JeremyM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice start, too bad you've had a few rough patches. I'd say you could def try for some fauna in here again, but take it much slower; you seem to be rushing things quite a bit. First have this bowl up and running WITHOUT changing anything around- moving bowls, adding co2 etc- so it has a chance to fully stabilize and the plants become well established. Aim for the bowl to have crystal clear water (it will happen) and for the plant growth to look like an overgrown jungle before you put any live animals in (should take at least a few months). Then when you do add livestock, go low and slow. I'm not surprised you lost the original two shrimp, adding 10 at once in 4" of water in an uncycled system is bound to create problems. Try adding about two or three shrimp at a time, then waiting a week before deciding to add more or not- or better yet, just let them breed on their own to get more. Don't plan on feeding anything you have too often; when it's established, the shrimp should get enough food from algae and other pickings that they need to sustain themselves, with maybe a very, VERY small supplemental feeding once a week or less, which should be gone in a matter of minutes; not only will the (smallest amounts of) uneaten food create major problems, but you must also take into consideration the waste the shrimp will produce when they pass the food, and whether your plants will be able to handle that. The objective is to add in as little outside organics into this system as possible which could cause water quality to become ill. Good move on the duckweed, that's great for sucking nitrates and other nasties that come with a new system, but make sure you remove it before it gets so overgrown that layers form and the bottom starts decomposing. I'd recommend that you steer away from fish unless you've had experience with this type of setup before, or you go for an air-breather (betta is your most likely solution), but be prepared to siphon detriusfrom the bottom with regular water changes if you do. (my fish recommendation otherwise would be a single Heterodon formosa). C02 is a no-no for this type of system, and you may want to consider setting a desk lamp on it (not one that will get too hot) to increase the plants' photosynthetic rates, which will result in higher oxygen output. But I totally agree; before this progresses any further, a test kit is the way to go! don't get discouraged and don't give up, the one thing that these things take is patience.
JeremyM is offline   Reply With Quote