Found a Spider.... what is it ? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #16
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru
 
ADJAquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,411
Default

There's a reason Humans are afraid of Spiders, it's because of the ones that are poisonous that can kill you If we weren't afraid I think a lot more people would die from spider bites! must say their not too bad but I don't want one in my house!

My Spider story was I was bitten by a spider and received a Staff infection from it, it was HORRIBLE
__________________

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #17
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Sake's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st louis missouri
Posts: 861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
There's a reason Humans are afraid of Spiders, it's because of the ones that are poisonous that can kill you If we weren't afraid I think a lot more people would die from spider bites! must say their not too bad but I don't want one in my house!

My Spider story was I was bitten by a spider and received a Staff infection from it, it was HORRIBLE
For the most part there is only 1 that you really have to worry bout as an adult the brown recluse, rest of them in the states aren't so bad. I can't think of 1 natural thing that scares me, now werewolves....that's a different story, scare the bejesus outta me! Been out catching rattlers, copperheads, all kinds of spiders and lizards none of it bothers me, but if I ever see a werewolf you can bet I'll run screaming and crying away!
__________________
You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
Sake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
PTrader: (94/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,371
Default

I refuse to kill spiders. They eat mosquitos which I hate 1000000x more.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
Destroyer551
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (6/88%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
There's a reason Humans are afraid of Spiders, it's because of the ones that are poisonous that can kill you If we weren't afraid I think a lot more people would die from spider bites! must say their not too bad but I don't want one in my house!

My Spider story was I was bitten by a spider and received a Staff infection from it, it was HORRIBLE
There's less than a handful of spider species in the US that are capable of killing you. With today's modern medicine, deaths from said spiders are extremely rare. You probably have more of a chance of being attacked by a shark at the beach, surviving, and then being killed from by falling coconut. Although some have died from spider bites, nearly all of those victims were allergic.
Destroyer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #20
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 3,485
Default

Brown recluse might not kill you, but it will certainly ruin your day and usually there's not much you can do about it. Seems like most bites go unnoticed so by the time it's diagnosed as a spider bite, you already have a bunch of necrotic flesh around the bite.
__________________
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #21
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.
 
Da Plant Man's Avatar
 
PTrader: (74/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NW Montana
Posts: 5,707
Default

I got bit by a wolf spider twice in 5 minutes. I was weeding in a garden, felt a prick on the top of my barefoot and see one 'running away' and ignored it knowing it would just be like a bad bug bite, and then 5 minutes after 2 acres away in the same garden, I feel a prick on the top of my other foot. I had my legs swell up and I got hives. It went away with some time and soaking them for an hour but it was red for a while.

I still like spiders. If they surprise me on my body, then I shoo it off, but I wouldn't mind a pet spider. I actually had a pet black widow for a month or two until I couldn't find anything to feed it.
__________________

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:28 AM   #22
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru
 
Aquarist_Fist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer551 View Post
There's less than a handful of spider species in the US that are capable of killing you. With today's modern medicine, deaths from said spiders are extremely rare. You probably have more of a chance of being attacked by a shark at the beach, surviving, and then being killed from by falling coconut. Although some have died from spider bites, nearly all of those victims were allergic.
It's an instinct shaped by many thousands of years of people scared of spiders (and snakes, tigers, dark places, huge cliffs, etc.) having a slightly better chance of surviving and mating. Many of these dangers aren't really dangers anymore to civilized humans, but ancient instincts don't know that.

I personally don't like spiders at all, and I live in an old house with lots of them in the backdoor/kitchen area. I try to live in peace with them and just kick them out, but occasionally it gets too much and I kill one. Need to get better about this. I agree that killing anything without a need is...well unnecessary. Not their fault they are so incredibly ugly.
__________________
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Destroyer551
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (6/88%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
It's an instinct shaped by many thousands of years of people scared of spiders (and snakes, tigers, dark places, huge cliffs, etc.) having a slightly better chance of surviving and mating. Many of these dangers aren't really dangers anymore to civilized humans, but ancient instincts don't know that.

I personally don't like spiders at all, and I live in an old house with lots of them in the backdoor/kitchen area. I try to live in peace with them and just kick them out, but occasionally it gets too much and I kill one. Need to get better about this. I agree that killing anything without a need is...well unnecessary. Not their fault they are so incredibly ugly.

You're right, fear is a necessary instinct, or else we'd be killing ourselves left and right by hugging bears and playing catch on the freeway.

As long as you don't kill things needlessly, than you have my respect. (Personally, I find spiders pretty darn beautiful, lol! That's coming from someone with a 8" spider living next to his bed though)

A good example of the opposite is my neighbor that moved in recently. I have chickens, and with chicken feed comes pests. Lots and lots of rats. Eventually I started getting snakes, big 6' black rat snakes. At first I was a little apprehensive about these formidable creatures sharing a yard with my feathered friends, but it was apparent they were there for the rodents, after one morning I happened across one in the process of eating a MASSIVE rat. I accidently scared it off from it's meal and I got a chance to weigh the rat, it was 2 1/4 pounds! The snakes grew really tame after coming across them many times a month, and I eventually could tell the difference between the two different and constant visitors. After having them stick around for nearly 3 years they both had names and the bigger of the two, jokingly named Big Black Bertha by my friend, measured a total of 91 inches - close to the record! Both were tame, especially Bertha, and could be handled without a problem! Then came my new neighbor, and when chatting with her one week, she brought up the topic of her killing a massive "cottonmouth" the other week. I realized I hadn't seen Bertha for nearly 2 weeks, and being concerned I asked what the snake looked like. She showed me picture she posted on Facebook with her phone, and sure enough, it was Bertha hacked into 7 different pieces with a shovel. I got seriously PO'd and after explaining to her that it was a harmless and beneficial snake, she insisted it had fangs and was a venomous cottonmouth. Then she went one rant on how snakes are bad and should be killed. Obviously, this wasn't the type of person you want to enjoy nature with. I left, but warned her not to touch the other snake worried that it too might cross into the wrong yard. Sure enough that one disappeared a couple week later. Then corn snakes started disappearing from my yard, and now I haven't seen a single snake in my once rodent-free yard and chicken coop for the past 3 months. Guess what? I now have a rat problem, something I haven't dealt with for the past several years.

Bah, sorry for the rant. This was recent and I guess I'm still annoyed about it, and at people who don't really have a good reason for killing things. (Not you )
Destroyer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #24
marley_kitty
Algae Grower
 
marley_kitty's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer551 View Post
I left, but warned her not to touch the other snake worried that it too might cross into the wrong yard. Sure enough that one disappeared a couple week later. Then corn snakes started disappearing from my yard, and now I haven't seen a single snake in my once rodent-free yard and chicken coop for the past 3 months. Guess what? I now have a rat problem, something I haven't dealt with for the past several years.
Wow, your story made me really angry. I can understand how she may have killed the first snake out of fear and ignorance, but to continue to kill them even after the education is just stupid. Maybe if you explain about the rats, and that rats carry diseases and could very well enter her house, she might think differently in the future about killing the snakes.
__________________
Sometimes I wish my hobby didn't involve water
marley_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #25
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 3,485
Default

Start catching the rats in live traps and releasing them at her house. Then explain that she has a rat problem because she killed the snakes.
__________________
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #26
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru
 
Aquarist_Fist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer551 View Post
Bah, sorry for the rant. This was recent and I guess I'm still annoyed about it, and at people who don't really have a good reason for killing things. (Not you )
I totally agree with you. Same goes for "hunters" who run through the woods and kill everything in sight, making up excuses why everything they enounter is "varmint" and needs to go - including, apparently, snakes, birds, and coyotes 20 miles away from anyone's home or farm. I'm not against hunting at all, but the senseless killing makes me mad. One would think people who spend a lot of time outdoors would be more respectful towards life.
__________________
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012