Help with mold/fungus growing in aquarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
Deng09
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help with mold/fungus growing in aquarium

So I recently set up a new planted aquarium.

I used dirt, capped with caribesea supernaturals sand/super fine gravel. I added a couple of rocks and a piece of driftwood from a seperate established tank, and an extra filter that had been running on the other tank for a couple of weeks.

The water was pretty clear directly after setting it up, but the next morning the water was super cloudy, almost whitish looking. The 2nd morning I noticed a white/clear colored fungus stuff growing on the gravel. Its like patches of long white stuff that has movement and flows when the filter is running. I tried to gravel vacuum it up the best i could which is hard to do because of the sand. The next day it was back, and now it is growing all over the rocks and driftwood. I have swirled it around a few times and it always starts growing back again by the next morning.

There are no fish or plants yet. The tank I took the rocks, wood, and filter from has no problems at all. What the heck is this stuff and where did it come from? How do I get rid of it? Please help!!!
Deng09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

The cloudy/whitish water sounds like a bacterial bloom. I had something similar happen in a new tank I cycled.

The clearish stuff growing on your gravel and wood I'm not sure about. I have something similar in my 5g and I haven't gotten around to investigating what it is. I'll wait with you to see what sort of responses you get. I had it growing like crazy on a piece of mopani. It got to be so much I pulled the mopani out and wiped it down under tap water. I'm guessing I'll go back to soaking it again. It leeched tannins like crazy despite soaking for 2 weeks prior to going in the aquarium.
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
Deng09
Algae Grower

Here are some pictures, maybe these will help:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	056.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	143018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	057.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	143026  

Deng09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
norbot
Planted Member

I won't claim to know anything about the fungus, but I have the same setup, dirt with caribsea gravel not sand. I got that fungus twice on seperate tanks and it eventually went away and seemed harmless to plants.

I decided to take it as a sign the microorganisms are doing something.

I removed some at water changes, but it went away on its own after about 2-3 weeks
norbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (68/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

It's harmless and will go away on it's own. It you want to kill it, then dose hydrogen peroxide at two mL's per gallon. It is best to spot treat the fungus, if you can....full tank peroxide treatments can, and does, kill beneficial organisms and bacteria as well. Just be cautious, so all. Make sure you turn off the filter, before you add the peroxide, and keep the filter off for about 20-30 minutes while the peroxide finishes reacting. Do a 10-20% water change. This can be done daily until the fungus has disappeared, but it shouldn't take anymore than a few time to kill it off.

Over-dosing on Excel may work as well, but I've never tried it.

Last edited by crazydaz; 05-15-2013 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: !
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote