How would you handle feeding for 12 tanks if you are vacation for a week?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
TraceyW
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

How would you handle feeding for 12 tanks if you are vacation for a week?

Most of them are lightly planted and stocked with just a few fish except for one of my 30 gallons (which has an unknown adult spotted pleco at 5 inches long, 2 adult cobra guppies, 5 adult breeding group of green cories, 3 baby cories (at 1/4 inch long) and about 5 guppy fry about 1/4 inch also)t . I just have a few RCS in my shrimp tank with snails.

Do I use a small vacation feeder block in them? Do I feed well before I head out and let them coast for almost a week? We'll be leaving on a Saturday morning and will be back late the following Friday.
TraceyW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Default How would you handle feeding for 12 tanks if you are vacation for a week?

Feed them normally or a tiny bit more every day for the whole week before you leave. Don't feed them a lot the day before leaving, this would make the water quality go down.

Anyhow, I would change water twice (50% each time) during the week before leaving. So they have good clean water.

I think fish are ok without eating for a whole week. They won't be ok with decomposing stuff in their tanks.

Good luck

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Yeah, they'll be fine for a week.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
flight50
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

That's quite a few to feed there. Alot of people on here have done it a time or two. In nature fish go without in spurts as well. I prefer to feed pretty good and just hope for the best. Allowing someone else to manage your tanks while your gone could be a decision you'd regret. There are tons of overfeeding horror stories on the web.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
MamaFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I was on vacation for 5 days and most of my fish were fine without being fed (I did lose an oto...who had plenty of algae to eat, so idk?). I fed them extra two days before I left, and did a water change the evening before. Even with the dead fish carcass, water parameters were fine. Get a timer for your lights, though, if you don't already have one.
MamaFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/97%)

eheim automatic feeders. 1 week food blocks for 2 week+ vacations for tanks w/o auto feeders.

Plants have tons of microscopic food for fish. I also have a natural ecosystem for many tanks (snails/shrimp breed to feed dwarf puffers) (endlers breed to feed turtles) etc....
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Vacation Tank Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyW View Post
Most of them are lightly planted and stocked with just a few fish except for one of my 30 gallons (which has an unknown adult spotted pleco at 5 inches long, 2 adult cobra guppies, 5 adult breeding group of green cories, 3 baby cories (at 1/4 inch long) and about 5 guppy fry about 1/4 inch also)t . I just have a few RCS in my shrimp tank with snails.

Do I use a small vacation feeder block in them? Do I feed well before I head out and let them coast for almost a week? We'll be leaving on a Saturday morning and will be back late the following Friday.
Hello Trace...

Fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food. What you do is a couple of weeks before you leave (ideally, but you can start now), you feed a little more and a little more often. You want to build up a little fat reserve in your fish.

A couple of days before leaving, you stop all feeding and do an extra large water change on the tank. The fish will spend their time foraging for the last bit of food left and live on their fat reserve, while you're gone.

The fish are fine without eating for a few days and you come home to a clean tank. That's what I do and I've got six large tanks and our vacations are typically a couple of weeks.

It would be nice if you have a friend to come over to check on everything, but it's not a necessity.

B
Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

+1 as long as you don't have any major predatory fish (which you don't seem to from what I can see and read) then you would not really have to worry about food for a week; if they are really hungry, they may just nibble on some of the mirco-algaes or some of the plants in your tank. But even after a week I doubt that would happen.

Saltwater fish can go for even longer without eating, I have left them for about 10 days in a reef without food and they did fine.
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I agree with big cleaning/WC before you go. I would have someone stop by at midpoint of the vacation like day 3 or 4. Have remeasured food set-up for each tank, water in gallon jugs for top-offs. Have each tank numbered 1-12 incase they observe a problem they can say in Tank #_ there's floater or Tank # _ the water temp is 69 degrees.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #10
Nami
Algae Grower

I would also go without feeding them for a week. Or, with an automatic feeder that you've tried and tested prior to leaving, in the case that you really want to let them have food during this time.

Your tanks really aren't that stocked so I wouldn't be too worried in general. I might do a water change before leaving if you really want to have your bases covered. But I wouldn't change any filter media or such to ensure a substantially present beneficial bacteria colony. But even then, I don't really think it's absolutely necessary to do a water change outside of your regular schedule. If the fish aren't getting fed, they're actually producing less nh3/4, resulting in less no2-/3-, etc etc.

If your tank is planted, you should not worry about a spike unless there is by chance equipment malfunction. If your tank isn't planted, a handy thing you could do is actually throw a handful of hornwort in there. But I still think that's overkill for a week.
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

If you want to use a vacation feed, use the gel type, not the plaster things.
I have seen some pretty delicate critters thrive when the gel products were used. I think Tetra makes them. There are 2 sizes. For all the lightly stocked tanks, 1 or even half of one. For the heaviest stocked tank one of the larger ones.
If the Pleco is a vegetarian you might add a chunk of raw broccoli stem, yam, pumpkin or other hard vegetable. Something that will take a while for him to gnaw through.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
shift
Wannabe Guru

Not to hijack but would a moderately stocked tank (20 rummys, 5 harlequins, 5 otts, 4 neons and 15 ish cpd in an 84G) be okay under the same conditions? (with out eating for 6 ish days?

Also would fry tanks (fry-3/4 adult size) last a week with out food?
5.5G Fluval Chi - Pumpkin shrimplets
10G - CRS/CBS | 10G - Red Rilli's | 10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Vacation Tank Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
Not to hijack but would a moderately stocked tank (20 rummys, 5 harlequins, 5 otts, 4 neons and 15 ish cpd in an 84G) be okay under the same conditions? (with out eating for 6 ish days?

Also would fry tanks (fry-3/4 adult size) last a week with out food?
Hello shift...

Just feed a bit more than normal for a few days before you leave and then change out half the tank water a couple of days prior.

I like to make the replacement water a bit warmer than that in the tank. The flush of warm, pure water tends to energize my fish and the extra food will easily sustain your fry for a few days.

I'd discourage the use of auto feeders or anything like that, even the pricey ones can malfunction and then you'd have a tank problem, with no way to fix things. They're really not needed if you're only away for a few days.

B
Old 05-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
shift
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the tips! I will be out of town thursday-sunday.. and generally bribe the parents to feed all the tanks, but if i don't have to.. then it makes life alot easier (that and i'm certain they overfeed!)
5.5G Fluval Chi - Pumpkin shrimplets
10G - CRS/CBS | 10G - Red Rilli's | 10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Leaky Filter
Planted Member

It's also worth mentioning that you can add a week's worth of ferts at one time and cut way back on algae blooms in high-tech tanks. I didn't fertilize once and came back to a hair algae ball that took a little bit of work to correct. Since then, I added ferts and came back to some spot algae here and there, but nothing major. I'll do a week's worth of micros the night before with a big top off and dump a week's worth of macros the day of departure. I leave a week at a time four or five times per year.

ETA: I don't worry about feeding them. I will feed more frozen food on the front end and back end but that's about it. Of course, run a big water change as close to departure as reasonable.
Leaky Filter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.