where to get fish near durham?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > North Carolina

Old 07-08-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
jtilley
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

where to get fish near durham?

Hi all people that are near durham in NC.
triangle tropical fish closed...
I need to know somewhere that I can both buy and trade in fish if there is any such place. Also if they have live plants that's a bonus. Triangle tropical was my store and I haven't been to a fish store in months, it really stinks. Please don't suggest petsmart, ive been to it and decided its not the best idea.
Thanks.
Josh
jtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
jamiegt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Aquarium Outfitters in Wake Forest is going to be your best bet around here. I've been there and they usually have fish that you will not find in your local generic petco/petsmart selection. Hope that helps. By the way what kind of fish do you keep?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
jtilley
Planted Member

Right now I have a freshwater 20 gallon long tank that I have had a year and a few months. I have kept a lot of community fish in there so far.
Currently in the tank
5 neons
5 zebra danios
An otto
A big yellow snail and a small brown one
A lot of guppies that have been born, mostly males left now. They have surprisingly good coloring for the fish they came from.

Fish that have been in there
Platies of many colors
Orange and black mollies
Blue dwarf gourami (he was chill)

Im looking to get into cichlids but haven't found what I would like to put in there yet. I wish I had a bigger tank for that.

Also I have had lots of plants
Java moss
Java fern
Amazon sword
Others...

I know that sounds like a lot of fish but for some reason the live bearers never last more than a few months.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
FishStix
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtilley View Post
Hi all people that are near durham in NC.
triangle tropical fish closed...
I need to know somewhere that I can both buy and trade in fish if there is any such place. Also if they have live plants that's a bonus. Triangle tropical was my store and I haven't been to a fish store in months, it really stinks. Please don't suggest petsmart, ive been to it and decided its not the best idea.
Thanks.
Josh
I am just getting back into setting up a new tank again, been out of it for a few years, I used to go to triangle tropical all the time, that does stink they are now closed. Not really sure of any suggestions, I am going to need to look around now as well, so if you find any please share.
FishStix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Icegoalie32
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

+1 for Aquarium Outfitters. Not the most beautiful place, but they have a pretty good staff, a good selection and will get you something if they don't have it in stock.
Icegoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
jtilley
Planted Member

Ill have to take a trip over there on Friday, im off work then. Its a bit of a drive for me though, as I live outside of durham.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
jtilley
Planted Member

Anyone been to the fish room in raleigh?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:55 AM   #8
jtilley
Planted Member

I just went to the fish room in raleigh today and would recommend a visit if your looking for a store. I didn't ask many questions but from what I asked the staff seemed knowledgeable. They had a lot of variety too. That being said the freshwater section is only about a third of the store, as they carry many corals and salt water fish. I was primarily looking at cichlids but saw they had a tank pretty full of plants too. Definitely worth checking out if you have been going to triangle tropical and need a new store.

I called aquarium outfitters to see what they had in stock and they didn't have anything I was interested in today. That is why I went to the other place. They were about equal distance for me so I called both.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I've been to the Fish Room, it was okay, prices were kinda high when I went 2-3 years ago. Went to the other store you mentioned (don't want to put the name to try and avoid this being considered a review) once six years ago, had a horrible experience, have not, and will not ever go back there nor will I ever suggest it to anyone.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
jtilley
Planted Member

Are we not supposed to review on here? Hope im not breaking the rules haha.

I didn't look much at the prices, as I new I couldn't actually buy anything yesterday. My tank is full at the moment. Will have to pay more attention next time I go, as I will probably go there again when I make up my mind with what I want to do with my tank.