How often do you guys clean out your canisters?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
ProjectCode619
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (47/100%)

How often do you guys clean out your canisters?

Ok,

For Caridina and Taiwan Bees, since they like stable parameters, does this mean your canister filters don't need any cleaning unless flow is reduced, etc? Could be up to a year, 2 years if well kept? Anyone does it differently with positive results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
merritt1985
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would think that depends on your tank. I clean mine once a month. my tanks are heavily planted and I always find gunk in there mostly decaying plant matter. Maybe it's just me but I don't like all that crud in there.
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
ProjectCode619
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (47/100%)

merritt1985,

It's hard not to kill the beneficial bacteria in the filters during cleaning. That is my only concern. Its no hassle to clean at all with quick disconnects and all that.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

when cleaning any kind of filter media i think its always a good idea to just rinse it in old tank water during a water change. in my case i dont use canister filters but i pull the sponges and squeeze them in the water i just removed and back in the tank they go.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
merritt1985
Planted Member

Are you talking about some kind of deep clean? I just rinse in tank water to remove debris every month. I have never completely cleaned my canister. I check the hardware and rinse the foam and floss but leave the bio material alone unless there's a bunch of build up. I only clean my hoses every once and awhile. I think if your killing off BB your doing to good of a cleaning job.
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Default How often do you guys clean out your canisters?

I wash mine with dishwasher soap every weak!

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
I wash mine with dishwasher soap every weak!
I rinse mine in gasoline every dae!
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

I rinse mine in toilet water! All joking aside, I clean my 2213 maybe every 3 months. And I do not even turn it off during water changes. Just drop the water line to the top of the intake and if I want to change more I will refill and repeat.
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Rony11
Planted Tank Obsessed

I clean my cannister filter once every 3 months. Wash the bio-media with tank water and run the empty cannister+baskets under tap water and put everything back in place fill the cannister back with tank water.
At the same time I clean the in/out pipes with an aquarium long brush. The sponge at the intake of the my cannister filter is cleaned once a month in tank water.
Rony11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
jnatelborg54@gmail.com
Algae Grower

I do a water change every two weeks and clean all parts of the filter in tank water while I'm at it.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

I have to do a full clean on my Eheim 2213 once a month due to massively reduced flow. This brown slimy stuff builds up in the pipes (and the canister itself) and will close those pipes down and reduce the flow to a trickle. It's aggravating to me to do that much maintenance and it's just on a 12G. And there is nothing but RO water used on that tank so it's not something related to my tap. But I have to if I want it to work. I could get away with just cleaning pipes, but when I get that involved in gutting the system I just go ahead and do a full clean and get the gunk out of the canister as well. This particular tank though gets feed powdered food/supplements twice a week and I feed 6 days a week total (fresh veggies most of the time, other shrimp foods (Mosura, BW, Benibachi, that sort of thing) once or twice. Due to the fact I have to feed that tank almost daily I have no doubt that's why my filter needs more maintenance. I have a mini canister on a 3 gallon tank I do a full clean on about every 6 weeks or so if I see the Purigen getting funky. I only feed that tank 2-3 times a week though. When I first installed it on the tank it was so efficient I had to do a full clean in the first 10 days cause the Purigen had already gone dark brown. So I think you have to factor in feeding schedule, plant decay, and other things to get a good idea. Some folks don't do any cleaning for months on their canisters. That's what I was expecting when I decided to go for it on my 12G, just unfortunately isn't the case for me.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I get that brown stuff too, only comes out aftr I shut the canister down and restart it, hence why I do not clean it much. I haven't cleaned the tubes yet so there is a good amount but I do not see it effect flow. When it does blow in the tank the shrimps go nuts eating it. Might have to be a little more careful once the royals are added though.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forumsnow View Post
I get that brown stuff too, only comes out aftr I shut the canister down and restart it, hence why I do not clean it much. I haven't cleaned the tubes yet so there is a good amount but I do not see it effect flow. When it does blow in the tank the shrimps go nuts eating it. Might have to be a little more careful once the royals are added though.
Yeah that's why when I clean pipes I clean the whole thing so it doesn't all blow back in the tank. I don't clean it until the flow is effected. Friday it was running fine though a bit slow, yesterday morning it was dripping out of the spraybar so had to gut everything and clean and it was back at full power. I assume it's just some sort of bacteria sludge since I've also seen it in the bottom in dishes where water collects and sits (like soap dishes or toothbrush holder where water collects at the bottom). Kinda nasty what just 'grows' in water. LOL.

Since I use RO water (as opposed to tap that has to be buffered down with substrate, etc) the parameters stay stable even when I hit a big water change like a filter clean day. If I feel squirrely about it I toss in some BT-9 and Bioballs afterwards.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've been using bt-9 like every other day for months now, just a tiny pinch worth, not sure why just did. Have been slowing down on its use just to see if it really does help. Haven't seen any negative effects from it and it really does not raise tds at all somehow.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Sorry but, what is bt-9?
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote