My 75 gallon return to the hobby!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

My 75 gallon return to the hobby!

Bought a new 75 gallon tank as a means to get back into the hobby. Was originally going for a large cichlid tank, but wanted a bit of a challenge. So went planted community with some dwarf cichlids. Set up mid April.

LIght is from a Current Satellite Freshwater plus led strip, plus ambient sunlight at times. Filtered by an emporer 400 with floss and peat in the filter's extra baskets. Substrate is a base of Flourite covered in gravel. Mostly lower light plants, with some swords and a nice water lily.

I am blogging this tank at stanjam.tumblr.com
stanjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Is a single emperor 400 enough to filter an entire 75? that's my only thought of concern.

That and idk much about your light and how well it will or will not be.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Is a single emperor 400 enough to filter an entire 75? that's my only thought of concern.

That and idk much about your light and how well it will or will not be.
I would imagine that it should be enough, turning the water over 5 times in an hour. I also have a magnum 250 for water polishing, but the two create way too mu h current. Right now one side has a decent current, while the other side is a bit mellower. The biowheels on the 400 should provide more than enough filtration. My last 400 kept a 16 inch pink tilapia healthy for 16 years lol.

What would you have suggested for filtration? My background is mostly cichlids.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

On my 75, I just use 2 Eheim 2217's, and a Korelia pump to add more flow. Tbh, I don't know much about the emperor 400 which is why I asked if it would be enough, as generally I don't see too many people running HOB's on bigger tanks.

Then again, I'm also the guy that would run a canister on a 10 gallon if I could, so there is always that to consider lol
Old 05-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
On my 75, I just use 2 Eheim 2217's, and a Korelia pump to add more flow. Tbh, I don't know much about the emperor 400 which is why I asked if it would be enough, as generally I don't see too many people running HOB's on bigger tanks.

Then again, I'm also the guy that would run a canister on a 10 gallon if I could, so there is always that to consider lol
Yep. I see the advantages to going canister. This filter flows at about 380gph. Thought of using one of the newer marineland canisters, after I learn more I may switch, as they have the flow rate I want, and the tank will have less equipment hanging on it.

Tags
aquarium, aquascape design, fish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.