Malaysian Trumpet Snails not breeding?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Malaysian Trumpet Snails not breeding?

Hi. This might be weird because I shouldn't be complaining about lack of snail population, but I've had 3 MTS in my 55 gallon for a couple of months, and I don't think they've multiplied at all. Once every week or so I will see one on top of the sand, but then it will burrow under again. The reason why I like them is because they eat dead plant matter, and I seem to be getting an area in the front corner of my tank where the filter blows all the dead plant stuff. One of my MTS has actually stayed on top of the sand for 2 days now, eating the dead plant stuff.
I think this would be really beneficial, moreso than the pond snails I'm being overrun with. I have some ramshorns, too, but mostly the pond snails are becoming a problem. I don't think I'm overfeeding my fish, either, because so far I just have 1o neons and 6 zebras, and I just feed them a pinch of flakes every night and there doesn't seem to be any left over.
Anyway, I'm wondering why I only seem to have 3 MTS! Shouldn't they have multiplied by now? I'd much rather have a bunch of those (but not TOO many, of course) and a LOT less of the pond snails.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Destroyer551
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

MTS are heavy burrowers, and the babies even more so. You probably won't see them until they're much larger, especially when there's plenty of food to be had in the substrate. In a 55 gallon, you can easily have 1000 MTS and not even know it. Don't be surprised when you turn your lights on one morning to find hundreds scaling the tank walls.
Destroyer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Wait, I have the same problem. A year ago I put in like 100 of them.....now even at lights off I don't see any. I think my water was soft and the shells dissolved perhaps.....although I'm not sure.

I want to try again though, because I need some sort of clean up crew in my 75.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
sapphoqueen
Planted Tank Obsessed

my MTS if they are little or huge all of them are on the glass after the lights go out
Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Dany08fa
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

i started with 15 mts that i got for free from an lfs. 3 months later now i have probably have over 100, but who knows cause i have some in a 20, and some in my 10s. not sure how big they are when they are first born, but some of the babies i have are tiny! although most of my mts stay below the substrate, there are still many that cling to the glass and graze on the plants even during the day.

i saw a strand of fissidens growing on one of my larger mts and made me think... has anyone tired attaching moss intentionally to a snail? mts probably wouldn't be the best choice because they borrow, but what about a large ramshorn or apple? would be cool to see a snail carrying around a nice clump of mini xmass!
Dany08fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphoqueen View Post
my MTS if they are little or huge all of them are on the glass after the lights go out
Yea, my MTS usually much more active when lights out, but I also have some on the glass during lights on. Hungry little critters and fun to look at.

@OrangeAugust that is a bit strange. When I got my MTS it took about 2 or so weeks for me to see little MTS or maybe as Destroyer551 they could just be under your substrate. Try to see if there are any when you turn your lights off
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

Thanks, everyone.
I'm going to turn the tank lights on in the middle of the night to see if I can see any more than usual.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Lkittredge
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I seriously don't think it is possible to kill them. I had a bucket of gravel in storage for 6 months, bleached it, rinsed it, and they came back like weeds. It must have to do with if you actually want them or not. I was trying to get rid of them and they won't die. I agree that it is probably just a matter of time and they will "explode" in numbers.
Lkittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #9
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

You guys were right! I had the tank lights out for about an hour and then I turned them on and checked, and on the sand I saw 6 small MTS that I'd never seen before!

Tags
malaysian trumpet snails, snails