Hawaiian Red Shrimp always hiding
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Freyr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hawaiian Red Shrimp always hiding

Hey everyone. I had a question for those of you that have kept opae ula/Hawaiian red shrimp. I currently have 20 shrimp in a 3 gallon cube. My main issue is they rarely, if ever, show themselves. I have 2 fist sized pieces of honeycomb rock in the tank, and they spend all their time inside it. I've seen videos of opae tanks where the shrimp are highly active and mobile. Swimming around, etc. Mine seem to be painfully shy.

As far as water params, I'm at 0 ammonia,nitrate,nitrite, 7.7 ph and 1.013 salinity. I dont think its a water issue, as most have colored up nicely and ive found several molts in the tank. Tank has been up for 2 months with the shrimp, so I would have thought they wouldn't have settled in by now and become more active.

My only thought at this point is I have too few shrimp? I've thought maybe adding more would bring out some better behavior, but I'm reluctant to spend more money when I can't get this group happy. Thoughts/opinions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
eightoeight
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I think it's just the size of the tank and the number of opae ula you have. I felt the same way when I had a few in a 1.5 gallon. It just seemed very sparse and empty. I added more and now it doesn't feel empty.

Behavior wise, they mostly just crawl around on the (dead) coral/substrate and graze. There's not much room to swim for them in the 1.5 so I don't notice that behavior much.

In my 10 gallon there's a lot of vertical empty space so I notice them swim and glide around more.

If there are hiding places, a "large" tank, and few shrimp, I think it's just natural that it would seem like they aren't around (and not something you are doing wrong with water parameters or anything).
eightoeight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
KenP
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have 25 in a 1.25 gallon tank and 60 in a five gallon. There are times when there is little activity and others times when many are swimming about. At one half inch a few more will not hurt. They are very active when being fed and I believe many videos are taken at that time. How often do you feed them? Do you have any snails? I think snails are useful. 10 MTS type snails would be fine. I also use the honeycomb rock in my 5 gallon. The more hiding places the more they seem to hide. My 1.25 is more open and active.
KenP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
Freyr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP View Post
I have 25 in a 1.25 gallon tank and 60 in a five gallon. There are times when there is little activity and others times when many are swimming about. At one half inch a few more will not hurt. They are very active when being fed and I believe many videos are taken at that time. How often do you feed them? Do you have any snails? I think snails are useful. 10 MTS type snails would be fine. I also use the honeycomb rock in my 5 gallon. The more hiding places the more they seem to hide. My 1.25 is more open and active.
Thanks for the reply. I currently don't have any snails, tho I have been considering it due to algae. I do feed them homegrown spirulina algae every few weeks that I feed my cichlids. A few jump on it, but not all. I was wondering if the powdered form might cause more activity?

I'm thinking I may add another group, and if its still barren in the tank ill remove some rock. Does anyone have any recommendations for a source? The best I found through user Rob was some aquabid sellers for about 1.30 per shrimp, which was pretty good. But cheaper is better.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Re: Hawaiian Red Shrimp always hiding

Try water movement and occasional feeding. Mine in filtered fed tanks are very active. Those in my unfiltered unfed tank are always hiding.

I have hundreds of these guys in three tanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Koi Kameon
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default Mine spent most of their time out of the rocks

in anything from a half gallon to a gallon container with never more than a dozen shrimp. I'd say 8-9 always swimming around in the water column or moving across the lava rock. So, I don't think it is a quantity thing where if they get more "friends," they will swim around more.
Koi Kameon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.