PM etiquette...... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
Gtdad2
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Well I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to all the helpful people at TPT!!!
The Fraternity of Dirt #58
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-warning.html
RAOK CLUB #20
Gtdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Me too! TPT helped me get this tank up and going and on top of a few problems that could have been dealbreakers in the past without TPT knowledge. Good stuff, thanks!
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

I was going to start a thread like this the other but figured it wouldn't fly.

I feel your pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
I generally get a decent amount of PMs where people are asking me random questions about shrimp/plants from things that I've said in past threads. I'll type up a long response trying to help them out (taking time out of my day) and then only about 50% will even have the decency to write back "thank you".

What's wrong with people now a days? It almost makes me want to delete all these random questions without responding. A "thank you" goes a long way.

The other lack of etiquette is when someone doesn't even say "hi" but just shoots off asking a question that will take 6 paragraphs to type up. Example PM: "tell me all the products you use for your shrimp?". That's it...there is no "thanks" no anything. Just the expectation of me to spend 15 minutes typing up my exact routine.

Maybe I am just cranky this morning or maybe I am onto something.....
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
I was going to start a thread like this the other but figured it wouldn't fly.

I feel your pain.
You probably get 100 questions about co2 regulators on the daily basis...
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: PM etiquette......

The Ignore List is pretty useful and I have not hit the limit, yet.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

*shrugs* I guess I don't seem to have the same peeve everyone else has. I figure if I can be helpful to someone- then great. Glad I could help. If they choose to say thanks, it's appreciated but not mandatory.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
don.dagg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have been scanning this forum for a few months and as you can see my posts are quite low. I have also yet to pm anyone with any questions but the amount of information and helpful advice offered by most everyone here is absolutely astounding. Anyone who doesn't appreciate it is an arse. It is entirely the helpful people on this site that have made my decision to start a planted tank both a confident one and an exciting one. To all of you - Thanx.
Sunsun Pimp #80
don.dagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001

PTrader: (387/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
*shrugs* I guess I don't seem to have the same peeve everyone else has. I figure if I can be helpful to someone- then great. Glad I could help. If they choose to say thanks, it's appreciated but not mandatory.
I'm with Bryce here.

You just have to stay positive and pay it forward as much as possible. We were all noobs once too. What I've started doing is save all my answers in a library where I can easily access, say MS Notes or Word docs. I get a ton of repeat questions via PM so what I do is cut and paste the answer , rather than spending all that time writing a novel each and every time you get the same question. This alleviates all thoughts of folks being ungrateful. Yes, they should have better manners to say thank you but some people don't have that built into them. You can't teach common sense. We just have to accept it and hope that by us helping them, they will one day help others the same or better.

Karma is wonderful.
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

PTrader: (10/100%)

Fortunately I am one of those who doesn't live life in 140 characters. I like responding to let someone know a package has arrived and how good it looked. (Haven't had to deal with a bad one yet). Or to thank someone for advice. So far all the PM's I've sent out have been thanked in one form or another. I like to believe that most of the members here are respectful. It's just that the one's that aren't stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.
But it does come around.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #25
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
Theres a definite disconnect with people using common communication etiquette online. That and society as a whole is losing the ability to communicate because they have their heads super far up their bums.
This. Society as a relative whole (many people excluded) is becoming rather rude, expecting everything to be laid out for them.

Good example and I need to vent:

The short private dirt road I live on also has 10 properties. Mine is the first on the left and fronts about 1/3 of the length which is about 360 feet. With people pulling off the main highway to use Key Road to turn around, and subsequently one of my driveways, they are always nice enough to tear up as much as possible. Eventually ruts and potholes grow forcing me to grab the tractor and drag it all out every month or so. Unfortunately I do not have my tractor anymore after being given an incredibly generous offer and I have yet to purchase another.

That leaves me to today, out there by hand with a landscape rake and a few shovels leveling out potholes, ruts, and the like. I have never done anything past my property but I do feel that section is my responsibility, as it is in front of my property. Usually the long time residents immediately appreciate it, leaving thank you notes in my mailbox.

So this renter we have down the street sees me sweating my tail off after spending the last 4 hours cleaning up the road. The first words out of his mouth are not "Hi" or "'Mornin" or anything remotely considered courteous. His first words were "You need to down there too instead of just doing this part, it is getting really bad down there and you never touch it." After explaining to him I do not take care of anything past my other driveway he sneered, called my lazy, then throttled his Bubbazilla truck down the road tearing it up as much as possible. It was certainly one of those "remove the magazine immediately" moments.

He about lost it when I took an extra shovel and rake and leaned it on his mailbox and told him he can keep them for as long as he needed them.
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #26
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Art View Post
This. Society as a relative whole (many people excluded) is becoming rather rude, expecting everything to be laid out for them.

Good example and I need to vent:

The short private dirt road I live on also has 10 properties. Mine is the first on the left and fronts about 1/3 of the length which is about 360 feet. With people pulling off the main highway to use Key Road to turn around, and subsequently one of my driveways, they are always nice enough to tear up as much as possible. Eventually ruts and potholes grow forcing me to grab the tractor and drag it all out every month or so. Unfortunately I do not have my tractor anymore after being given an incredibly generous offer and I have yet to purchase another.

That leaves me to today, out there by hand with a landscape rake and a few shovels leveling out potholes, ruts, and the like. I have never done anything past my property but I do feel that section is my responsibility, as it is in front of my property. Usually the long time residents immediately appreciate it, leaving thank you notes in my mailbox.

So this renter we have down the street sees me sweating my tail off after spending the last 4 hours cleaning up the road. The first words out of his mouth are not "Hi" or "'Mornin" or anything remotely considered courteous. His first words were "You need to down there too instead of just doing this part, it is getting really bad down there and you never touch it." After explaining to him I do not take care of anything past my other driveway he sneered, called my lazy, then throttled his Bubbazilla truck down the road tearing it up as much as possible. It was certainly one of those "remove the magazine immediately" moments.

He about lost it when I took an extra shovel and rake and leaned it on his mailbox and told him he can keep them for as long as he needed them.
Oh man I raged just reading that. I probably would have left ruts and potholes in his driveway. You definitely have more self control than I do.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #27
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
.....Karma is wonderful.

Seems that's a regular mantra for me.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #28
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
Oh man I raged just reading that. I probably would have left ruts and potholes in his driveway. You definitely have more self control than I do.
Self Control? Not as much as a better plan of attack.

Renters are too easy to get rid of at the request of several neighbors. The landlord is ultimately responsible for maintaining the tenant here, and if they refuse to comply they are evicted immediately supported by local courts.
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
The Ignore List is pretty useful and I have not hit the limit, yet.
Can I help?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #30
Alyssa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

If I have EVER forgotten my manners and did not say THANK YOU to anyone, I am profoundly sorry! I normally try to be very courteous and appreciative to anyone that helps me or sells me something.

SAPS | sfbaaps | SAS
My Tank(s) Blog
| TPT Clubs: RAOK Club #7 | Fraternity of Dirt #62 | ADA Club #2 |
Alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote