PM etiquette......
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (98/100%)

PM etiquette......

I generally get a decent amount of PMs where people are asking me random questions about shrimp/plants from things that I've said in past threads. I'll type up a long response trying to help them out (taking time out of my day) and then only about 50% will even have the decency to write back "thank you".

What's wrong with people now a days? It almost makes me want to delete all these random questions without responding. A "thank you" goes a long way.

The other lack of etiquette is when someone doesn't even say "hi" but just shoots off asking a question that will take 6 paragraphs to type up. Example PM: "tell me all the products you use for your shrimp?". That's it...there is no "thanks" no anything. Just the expectation of me to spend 15 minutes typing up my exact routine.

Maybe I am just cranky this morning or maybe I am onto something.....
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default PM etiquette......

No respect. If I'm asking advice from someone I generally am very thankful.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
alipper
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Thank you.

Don't worry, I scanned a patient last night and when I told him he was all set and to have a good night, his response was uh huh.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

the old saying "you reap what you sow"

what you have passed on will be returned to you maybe not by them, but it will come back to you

and same to them...

thank you, thank you, thank you, hedge_fund

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]

Last edited by hambone870; 05-09-2013 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: .
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Theres a definite disconnect with people using common communication etiquette online. That and society as a whole is losing the ability to communicate because they have their heads super far up their bums.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I agree the lack of please and thank you in communication online is very offputting. If you give me advice that I asked for I am always very gratefull and give at the very least a thank you. Now unwaranted advice online falls into a whole other catagory :P
Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
pastert33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Ohhh I've got one! How about when someone has a RAOK that says to PM them and you get no response!! This hasn't happened often but I am currently going through this...I mean if you don't want ME to get said RAOK then atleast say that instead of NOT RESPONDING.
pastert33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default PM etiquette......

Granted I get far less than you, as I can be useless when it comes to a lot of plants/lighting, I get some based on aquascaping, ect.

You can usually tell in the original message if they are appreciative of the fact they can ask you something. If not, they're usually the ones that will not say thank you.

Past that, you really can't know, and I know if you're anything like me, you want to respond so hopefully they get something out of it. The thank you just makes it worth it, but yeah it stings a little when you get burned.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
....The other lack of etiquette is when someone doesn't even say "hi" but just shoots off asking a question that will take 6 paragraphs to type up....
Like you I routinely write novels to help new people in the hobby. I too get the occasional DEMAND PMs. To those entitled few I remind them what a great resource TPT's Sub-Forums are and direct them to the appropriate one to do their research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
Theres a definite disconnect with people using common communication etiquette online. That and society as a whole is losing the ability to communicate ....
I think that point and lack of personal responsibility are our nations two biggest problems today.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

welcome to the age of texting, chatting, and lack of direct contact communications.

I find the same to be true for RAOK and sales. Its not so much the thanks but confirmation that packages arrived safely... or maybe i'm just old school in caring to following up. Dont let them bring you down. Life gets busy and people also forget.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (98/100%)

I am no angel since I do forget sometimes as well. But there are people who do it ALL the time. You'll exchange 5 or 6 PMs explaining something and not once did you get a "thanks".
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
pastert33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Like you I routinely write novels to help new people in the hobby. I too get the occasional DEMAND PMs. To those entitled few I remind them what a great resource TPT's Sub-Forums are and direct them to the appropriate one to do their research

I think that point and lack of personal responsibility are our nations two biggest problems today.

If I could highlight this and paste it around the country I would!! You are exactly right sir!
pastert33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
welcome to the age of texting, chatting, and lack of direct contact communications.

I find the same to be true for RAOK and sales. Its not so much the thanks but confirmation that packages arrived safely... or maybe i'm just old school in caring to following up. Dont let them bring you down. Life gets busy and people also forget.

I agree. I have done a few RAOK and when I do I send a PM stating I sent the package and ask them to reply back to me and let me know everything arrived and was in good shape. sometimes I never get a response.

and, yes, welcome to the age of texting, chatting, and lack of direct contact communications. each generation seems to be less formal than the prior one. add in that youth and formality don't seem to mix well to begin with...

and that's just the one way the world has changed.
and sometimes it is a cultural thing as well.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

my post #13 is a little skewed, sorry. after re-reading the posts I realize age and generation wasn't even hinted at.

me jumping to conclusions.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Well age and generation does play a role. You are correct in the fact that each subsequent generation has worse and worse communication skills / lack of feeling of personal responsibility.

I like to consider my generation the last of the ones not consumed by growing up with rediculous amounts of technology (80's baby).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.