Useful lifespan of 2x overdriven t8?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-30-2003, 12:10 AM   #1
05dr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i don't have any experience with overdriving bulbs but was wondering if there is a consensus on it's effect on useful bulb lifespan (i.e. decent maintenance of it's initial spectral distribution and light output) when done on the order of 2x overdriven. as i understand it t8's, with proper cooling, have a useful between 10-14 months at which point the decline rapidly. is that number fairly accurate and what would it be at 2x overdriven with proper cooling? i never saw a clear cut answer in the threads i have read but i may have missed it so feel free to post a link if it has already been discussed ad nauseum. thanks.
05dr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2003, 12:37 AM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

The 10-14 month lifespan generally applies in relation to color spectral shift, not output intensity. A bulb will produce a fairly high initial lux intensity (say, 4800 lumens, for a GE 9325K 55 watt PC bulb) and then quickly drop off to near its average luminosity (4080 lumens, for the same bulb) after only a hundred hours of use or so. The bulb will stay near its average luminosity for its lifespan (generally 10,000 hours over 2 years with a 12 hour photoperiod.)

All that being said, there is no official study of how long ODNO bulbs last. I've noticed some blackening of the bulb ends after about a year of use, at whic time a fresh bulb will show considerably improved output.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:05 AM   #3
05dr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

guess i got confused. is it with metal halide that they maintain the same output but consume more and more power to do so?

what is your opinion on how long the spectral shift remains normal with t8's? is the 10- 14 month rule accurate or is there a more specific answer based on hours (excluding actinic or 50:50 bulbs which i heard age faster due to instability of actinic phosphors)?

what is your guesstimate as to how long one can overdrive (x2) a bulb (hours or months, whatever works) with reasonable maintenance of it's spectral output and lumen output? i presume less than 12 months based on the difference you noted when you changed the bulbs.
05dr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2003, 11:52 AM   #4
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

I use these bulbs and still have good growth after a year... one is Overdriven 2x and the other is overdriven 3x... ZooMed Lighting

I like the UltraSun (6500k) and FloraSun (8500k) bulbs.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:52 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Plants aren't as worried about the spectrum shift, so I wouldn't replace a bulb in a planted tank for that reason alone. Diminished luminosity won't occur for at least a year so I've been replacing bulbs at the 12 month mark. And that's only because these are cheap $4 bulbs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.