Blooms and Branches
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 05-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Blooms and Branches

The wife just sent me a photo, my order just came in. Everything looks good by picture text but can't wait to get home and drop em in the drink!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368033433.304352.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  33.1 KB

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
howgeneric
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I ordered recently from them as well! What size branches did you get? I got the second smallest option they had. Mine look similar to yours.

Please update with pics of them in your tank, I'm interested in seeing how you decide to place/position them!
howgeneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by howgeneric View Post
I ordered recently from them as well! What size branches did you get? I got the second smallest option they had. Mine look similar to yours.

Please update with pics of them in your tank, I'm interested in seeing how you decide to place/position them!
i got the smallest, i think, 10-12 inch

i may just use one of them but will have to see how it looks, they are for my 10 gallon dwarf puffer build

ill post a pic in this thread tonight!

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 05-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Blooms and Branches

When I got home I rushed for my package. Two beautiful and intact branches were waiting for me. Shame that I had to cut the one down but, as is, it was too big for even the 20 long.

Pardon the clarity but the tank is 24 hours old and the miracle grow is leaching and the sand wasn't as washed as it could have been.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368066659.763523.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	139986

I didn't really adjust the branches but will wait to see how they suit me after looking at em for a few days. I'm going to make a more dramatic slope against the wood with some extra sand before planting (plants due for delivery on Friday) but I think you can see where I'm going. Nothing fancy.

I have ordered dwarf sag, Val, and kleinbar swords

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 05-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Very nice! Is there bark on that or not? Just gonna warn you that bark may drop out as the wood gets accustomed to the tank.
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #6
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is the sandblasted (it's hard to see it through the haze). Thanks, I'm digging the wood, a very classy feel to it. I don't think I'm gonna cover this in moss but I guess you never know..?

Thanks^^^^

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Zeuner
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Talking from my experience with the wood from them, you have to boil it first. It's gonna make your water cloudy. I made a mistake when I introduced the wood straight to the tank. After a day or so, the water became so cloudy and my fish started gasping.
Zeuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For sure, I gave em a solid 20 min boil.

The cloudy water is from the substrate but will be cycling this tank and doing wc's for the next 2 weeks plus.

I'll get a handle on the clarity in no time

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
becky3086
Algae Grower

I didn't boil mine very long either and it was some driftwood my neighbor had that had been sitting outside for a while. It didn't make my water cloudy, not even the big one. I think the cloudiness of your water is just like you said, from the substrate.
I think the wood looks great and I'll be watching to see how this turns out
becky3086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Guys post as many scaping pics of these wood as you can. I need scaping ideas. I got a big piece for my 45 and need ideas

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just want to give everyone a heads up about my experience with this wood and supplier.
Please read this.

I purchased manzanita from Blooms and Branches about 2 years ago. The prices for such massive pieces are what sold me, turned out to be a big mistake on my end.

The wood I received was sand blasted and still had a green tinge to it, very slight one. It's not dried fully and never has been exposed to water. They take fresh live pieces and blast the bark off and mail it out. Since I read everywhere how manzanita will not really effect water chemistry I felt confident that I didn't need to purchase from a drift wood supplier. I notice though when you see pieces for sale online sold as aquarium grade manzanita they are much much darker, aka dead. Blooms and Branches pieces are very white/fleshy and fresh.

I soaked the wood in the bathtub for two weeks at least, it felt like a year since it was the only shower in my apt. Draining and refilling, what a pain. I thought that would help water log it and make any tannins come out. The pieces were too large to boil, I did pour some boiling water into the tub onto the branches.

I was so anxious to get them out of the tub I took the plunge and put two large pieces in my 120 gallon discus tank in place of malaysian driftwood. Everything seemed fine that day. Next morning looked good, went to work and came home to a horrible sight. All of my adult 6" discus dead on the bottom, amano shrimp all dead as well as some other livestock. A few lone survivors but not my prized discus that I had for several years. Man what a mistake!!!

To think that two of these branches could cause 100 plus gallons of water to became so toxic in 24 hours was a shock to me. I always keep an air stone going full blast so I don't think it was lack of oxygen. I never was able to pinpoint exactly what killed off my livestock. I assumed that sap had leached out into the water. I never have been able to pinpoint what really happened. The water from my recollection was a little bit foggy. I did huge water changes and was able to keep a few of the survivors alive to this day, cories etc.

Sorry to bum anyone out but when I saw the headline for this post I had to respond. Please don't make the same mistake I did.
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh yea one more thing,

I did dry the branches outside for almost 6 months thereafter. After that I used it for decoration on top of my aquarium canopy, looked cool.

I retried them in my tank very carefully monitoring the fish after about a year later of drying. I am not saying they need to dry for a year, but after such a massacre of expensive fish I wasn't willing to take the risk.

As expected once dried out fully they were fine in the tank, my fish were not phased and conditions ok. One of the two pieces did start turning dark and black looking after about 3-4 month submerged, so I decided to pull them out and get some huge malaysian driftwood pieces instead. They are now back to being just decoration on top the canopy.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Maybe a bad piece? I bought 2 pieces and they were great (31"). They were light weight and white, nothing funny about them. I put a few pieces straight in my tank (did not pre soak them). Within 1 to 2 weeks they are water logged and didnt float up. Nothing wrong with water either. This is the first time Ive heard of this about BB though.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Zeuner who posted earlier said his fish were gasping after introduction of these branches. Sounds like the potential problem with fresh un dried pieces was noticed on time.

Samee, what species of fish did you keep in your tank while introducing the driftwood?
Also did you do any water changes within the first day or two of introduction?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
Zeuner
Algae Grower

I agree with Fiftymeatballs, it's definitely much better to pre-soak the wood first. I boiled the woods from them for at least a week. And the drained water was really cloudy, but after that there's no problem so far.

Here's what they look like in my tank:
Zeuner is offline   Reply With Quote