Can anyone recommend a good acoustic guitar?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Wannaberooted
Green is good

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can anyone recommend a good acoustic guitar?

I live in an apartment and can't play my electric stuff here. I'm looking for a good acoustic guitar for 500 bucks or less. I want a nice full tone, that's my main priority. I want to feel it in my soul, if you know what I mean.

There must be a ton of guitarists here. I look forward to your suggestions, thanks!
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

My favorite was the Takamine GS330S until my friend cracked the body of it I got it for $150 in practically new condition, too. More performance than I payed for forsure though. General consensus about it is that for the price, you get a whole lot.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Gtdad2
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I just use headphones.
The Fraternity of Dirt #58
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-warning.html
RAOK CLUB #20
Gtdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Dfektor
Algae Grower

I love my ibanez talman its nice really cheap small thin and playable sounds good but even better wiv my roland kube
Dfektor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
VAtanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Washburn WD 20s, 300 dollar range I paid 260 for mine I have seen them as much as 350 though, good sound all the way through the 14th fret no buzz slim neck, Im a fan of ernie ball strings too
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Well I once scored a '67 Gretsch Folk acoustic guitar on craigslist for 300, and that sounded very big for a grand auditorium sized guitar. If you look around, you can find USA-made older guitars in your budget, but some may need some work. Closer to 500, look for Guild D25 mahogany dreadnaughts - HUGE sound for not a huge price. They made a whole bunch of them in the 70s and 80s, all USA made in Rhode Island.

Edit - in fact, on the Milwaukee craigslist right now there's a Guild D25 in your price range, maybe you can talk him down to 500 and then take it to your local guy for a setup.
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

It is going to depend on what kind of sound you are looking for. I personally liked the Ibanez Performer Series when they were available as it had a rich warm sound for the price (~300 new).

If you are more concerned with just learning to play, don't fret on what brand you get. If you are already at the point where you start to get picky on the action available, go with whatever feels good. I have an early 60's Sears and Roebuck rebadge that plays like silk, yet I have played some Takas that I just couldn't get into a groove with.

Just make sure you get a full-size if you want some sound, and find a set of strings to compliment the body's available tone.

Also, as mentioned before, get a 1/4" to 3.5MM adapter and a nice set of full cup headphones. I played in Afghanistan in the back of a 9x20 container with a roommate and it rarely bothered him with just a sheet wall between us. When I was playing a lot of Machine Head ( B F# B E G# C# )it was of course noisy with the looser strings but he said it was bearable from 10 feet away.

**I came back to add this as I was thinking about it outside**

If you are concerned about being too loud, an acoustic in an apartment might not actually be a good idea.

Last edited by Asphalt Art; 05-08-2013 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Additional Information
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have not played a Takamine I didn't like.

This coming from a lead guitar player.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

What's your current playing level and are you happy with it or interested in progressing?

IMHO instruments are one thing where it makes sense for beginners to consider having a relationship with a local store, vs. just going out and buying something. There's a lot of subtle nuance to things like string choice, setup, etc. that are hard to learn except through talking to someone who knows it inside and out. Unless you already consider yourself well versed in this stuff, I'd think about shopping for a store you trust, vs worrying about which specific brand or model to buy.
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

They did just did a study: guys with guitars get the girls. They don't have to play it or play it well. Just holding one is enough.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Art View Post

If you are concerned about being too loud, an acoustic in an apartment might not actually be a good idea.
+1. Especially a dreadnought.
longgonedaddy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 AM   #12
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
I have not played a Takamine I didn't like.

This coming from a lead guitar player.
This is what I have for an acoustic and have to agree they're very good guitars. Go visit a local music store and take some time to play a few different ones and you will know when you find one that suits your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
They did just did a study: guys with guitars get the girls. They don't have to play it or play it well. Just holding one is enough.
If I would have known that I wouldn't even have learned how to play it. I could have just walked around with it strapped over my shoulder.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #13
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Martin, Takamine and Gibson are all excellent. I like Gibson the best, but I'm a little biased (its my last name ). If you can, check out Breedlove guitars. They are beautiful sounding and looking instruments that are made in Bend OR.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (239/100%)

I got Ibanez AEG series. Just about the right size I wanted.

I've seen Martin's too. Nice guitars but expensive.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #15
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Wow, that's a lot of replies already, thanks everyone. I'll try to make a general response to all.

I started playing about 15 years ago, but haven't been playing as much recently, mainly because of the noise issue. I have a '95 American Telecaster with 11-52 strings going through a '77 Ampeg B-25B and a home made 2x15" cab which sounds incredible, but is much too loud. I also have a 15 watt little all tube Crate combo, but it doesn't sound good through my headphones or it's 10" speaker. Plug it into the 2x15, again, great, but too loud.

I'm strictly rhythm, I don't make it cry or sing, so I don't need a really fast action. The Tele sings on her own, she makes me sound better than I am.

You may ask, why does he have this stuff if he can't play it? Well, I was in a couple garage bands and we practiced in places where we could be loud. Actually I was the singer for one, and played bass in the other, I also have a Korean Danelectro DC bass. The action is horrible on that one, but the tone is so sweet.

I could get some high-end headphones I guess, mine are OK, though it would also be nice to have an acoustic guitar A dreadnought would probably be ok, I don't think it would be too loud for most of the time as my apartment is in an old house with four units. Only one apartment is a concern, he likes it quiet. But a dreadnought will probably be the kind of tone I want.

I'll definately do some research on all the guitar models suggested, and hopefully there is someplace nearby or in the Twin Cities where I can get one. I don't want to buy a guitar without playing it first, and to make sure it is solid.

Thanks again everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.