D5200?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 05-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

D5200?

I'm finally going to get a real camera. I'm trying to keep it around 500-800 bucks, to start. I will add lenses etc. As I learn. Is the d5200 a good camera to start and grow with. If so what are the basic needs. I'm interested in taking nature scenes storms, sunsets, landscapes. Also I would be using it for tank photo's. I've this camera with a 18mm-55mm or 18mm-105mm. Not sure what it means. Please help a beginner.

Last edited by zackariah; 05-08-2013 at 11:07 AM..
zackariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I have the D5100, and love it. I like the D5200, too. I have used and it is also a great beginner DSLR. However, if you want to save some money for lens, I would recommend just getting the D5100. The D5200 has some new features and more megapixels, but it really isn't worth it. Just because it's newer doesn't mean its better.

If you get the D5100, and if you get it refurbished, you can save almost $400 to spend on lens, tripod, flash, batteries, etc.

Here is a photo with the D5100, kit lens (18-55mm). Imagine if I had better lens.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...57686079_o.jpg

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

The D5200 is certainly a decent camera. The 18mm-55mm/18mm-105mm is telling you the lens focal length. These two lenses are zoom lenses. That means you can shot at a wide 18mm or zoom out to the max which will be the 55mm or 105mm. Kit lenses are ok for getting started but usually not the greatest lens. They will get the job done though. For the stuff you are wanting to shoot, you will be looking at a wider angle lens. The 18mm end of those two lenses will be plenty wide. Not sure which one of those lenses is better. You will get a great focal range with the 18mm-105mm but I don't know how the quality is.

If you don't object to buying used, you can grab a much better used camera in your budget range. The D7000 for instance is going for around $700 or even less these days, a D300 even less. The D90 price is falling too. There are a number of even older but still great cameras that can be had for cheap. The D80, D200 are two. You can grab one of those bodies for just a few hundred, buy a really nice lens and a tripod and learn on the older camera. When/if it's time to upgrade, you'll have a better understanding so you can get the most from the new camera.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
zackariah
Planted Member

Default Re: D5200?

Nubster and the plant man. Thank you both you have given me a lot to think about. I'm leaning toward the new side so I still have warranty. I'm also thinking I should just get the body and by the lens separate/used.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
zackariah
Planted Member

This is a little more then I intended on spending but the value seems great for a complete starter kit http://m.rakuten.com/product/246760028 what do you think.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Honestly, I'd keep looking. The stuff in that kit is going to be pretty low quality. I know you want new for the warranty, but I think you should consider used. You'll get a lot more for the money and to be honest, out of the six cameras I've bought over the years, not a single issue with any of them and they have all been used. I've had a Nikon D70, D80, D200, D300, and currently my D7000 and I have a Sony NEX-6. Again, all used and all perfectly fine. I paid half or less than what they were new when I got them except for the Sony.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

You have a 90 day warranty on Refurbished items and I think B&H has a warranty for used items that is also around 90 days. I wanted a new camera, but in the end, I realized, that a refurbished camera is new, its just that it had some problems in the manufacturing process that made them have to go back and fix it.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
zackariah
Planted Member

I thank you both for the input. By the way that pic is beautiful tpm. I went with the 5200 brand new. With my lack of experience I felt more comfortable buying something new. I got the 55-300mm and 18-55mm nikor lenses. I hope they serve me well. I'm looking forward to my new hobby and digital photography class soon. Again thanks for your input I really appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Congrats on the new camera! Lets see some photos.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #10
zackariah
Planted Member

Thanks I can't wait to start learning. I get the camera Thursday. With pics soon to follow.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #11
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
you just sold me! I just wish i had beautiful specimens like that to capture haha
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
Vira
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Da Plant Man, That picture is gorgeous! I was not expecting that when I clicked on it.

This thread is well timed. I was looking into a new camera myself but I was looking at this one:
Amazon.com: Sony NEX-5RK/S 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Silver): SONY: Camera & Photo Amazon.com: Sony NEX-5RK/S 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Silver): SONY: Camera & Photo

I also look forward to seeing some pics from you zackariah!

I have a question for everyone in relation to the Nikon: What would I need to do night shots? I would like to try aquarium night shots and my husband wants to do astronomy shots. Any thoughts on that?
Vira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
H82LOS3
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
I have the D5100, and love it. I like the D5200, too. I have used and it is also a great beginner DSLR. However, if you want to save some money for lens, I would recommend just getting the D5100. The D5200 has some new features and more megapixels, but it really isn't worth it. Just because it's newer doesn't mean its better.

If you get the D5100, and if you get it refurbished, you can save almost $400 to spend on lens, tripod, flash, batteries, etc.

Here is a photo with the D5100, kit lens (18-55mm). Imagine if I had better lens.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...57686079_o.jpg
WOW just wow that picture is beautiful, please tell me your secret
H82LOS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
zackariah
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vira View Post
Da Plant Man, That picture is gorgeous! I was not expecting that when I clicked on it.

This thread is well timed. I was looking into a new camera myself but I was looking at this one: Amazon.com: Sony NEX-5RK/S 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Silver): SONY: Camera & Photo

I also look forward to seeing some pics from you zackariah!

I have a question for everyone in relation to the Nikon: What would I need to do night shots? I would like to try aquarium night shots and my husband wants to do astronomy shots. Any thoughts on that?
I plan to do a review from a beginners standpoint. I have only owned a point and shoot. That being said the Sony camera you are looking at really is not in the same class as the Nikon 5200 as far as I can see. It does not have a view finder or flash and you have to buy them separate. for that price I would look at the Nikon 3200 or 5100 (the plant man's photo was taken w/5100). So I guess with that Sony you are paying for its small size. Again I'm not experienced but I did lots of research before I bought the 5200. As far as your question on night/astronomy shots I have not a clue but I'm taking a photography class in September and if nobody has answered by then I will ask my professor.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Night shots need long exposure so a good solid tripod is a must and I'd highly recommend a remote for your camera. You don't want to press the shutter button as that could cause the camera to move. You can set the timer and that works but become tedious if you are taking multiple shots. I can't own a camera without a remote these days. To me they are invaluable.

You choice of the Sony NEX is excellent. I have an NEX-6 and it's a great camera. Takes shots every bit as good as any Nikon DSLR I have ever owned.

Not a tank or astronomy shot, but it is a nearly zero light shot. 30 second exposure I believe it was. Low light stuff is fun.