Briz's Jungle Bubbles
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
Briz
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Cool

Briz's Jungle Bubbles

Started 5/7/13

Inspired by

I had two 2 gallon capacity glass "bubble" bowls ordered from save-on-crafts.com. Cost roughly $15 each after shipping costs.

Going to be used as homes for two bettas named Hearts and Spades.

Substrate: EcoComplete
Heaters: Hydor 25W Submersible
Plants: Brazilian Pennywort, Frogbit, Amazon Sword, Java Moss, Banana Plants, Needle Leaf Java Fern

Initial Set Up:

I plan on going to the local aquarium store tomorrow to pick up some more plants, along with ordering a few online.

Waiting on a nano driftwood order from Tom to get some hardscaping!
Briz is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Briz
Planted Member

Added some cabomba, ludwig of some sort, green crypt, and and unknown stem plant. Grabbed what I sort of recognized from Petco but they are terrible at labeling things.

Going to see how the cabomba will do without CO2, I know it likely won't last. Everything's pretty haphazardly thrown in these bowls right now, but will do extensive rearranging and tidying when the driftwood and heaters are in.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
zoo minsi
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

looks pretty good but might want to rethink the amazon sword and pennywort. Ive seen amazon swords take over much larger tanks and the pennywort grows fast and large also. Might want to look into Hydrocotyle sp."Japan" and Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta' there similar but stay much smaller. cant wait to see it once you get you wood in and arranged
zoo minsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Briz
Planted Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I was really just packing these bowls with as much plant life as I had available, to see what would work and what wouldn't.

Update
All of the pennywort melted, and most of the frogbit died in one bowl (but not the other). The amazon sword (which was attached to the moss rock) also melted, will see if new growth emerges.

Added some dwarf water lettuce to replace the floaters, removed some of the cabomba that had wilted/shed leaves. I have some packages of plants arriving from members here, but haven't arrived yet.

I did get my wood in! Still deciding which pieces to put together and letting them soak to sink. Have semi-temporary setups now while I decide.

Had to move one of my halfmoon bettas to a bowl as the stress of a divided setup was causing him to bite his beautiful fins. Spades, my black betta, took his place in the Death Valley slot of my 10 gallon.

Still don't have the lighting set up. Been using 13w daylight CF in a clip-on reflector from a considerable distance to discourage algae. I have some high spectrum LEDs which I plan to silicone to the glass covers and provide the nice white light from above.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Alaskan Fishface
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Nice, kinda reminds me of my dirted 2 gallon for my Betta.
The Fraternity of Dirt #126 - Daughter of the Dirt
10 gal community tank
5.2 Mr. Aqua - Blue Velvet/pygmy cory tank
6 gal Fluval Edge - PFR/cory haustas tank
2 gal Betta Jar
Alaskan Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
Briz
Planted Member

Cell phone picture update!

The LED lights are finally wired up and siliconed to the lids of the bowls. Only one lid has the power source wire yet, so used the same one to take pictures with.

Used my cell phone to take the pics since the flash of the camera ruins the look and without flash it makes the image super dark.

Lots of new plant additions from various plant packages by members here. Don't care to go through them all yet.

Things are kind of melty in this bowl.

LEDs are rated at 7500K

Old 05-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Briz
Planted Member

I decided I needed to buck down and add another quarter inch of substrate, and it has made a significant difference in keeping the plants down. It was also a great opportunity to remove all the plants and hardscape from the bowls and rearrange. Threw out the plants that weren't making it and cleaned up as much plant debris as I could.

Here is one bowl after the revision:

Still a bit of cloudiness from the substrate, but I'm pleased with the layout of this one.

Added dwarf sag to each bowl as well to get some of the jungle look. They were tiny plants trimmings, which gives it time to grow out.

The other bowl has a case of brown cyanobacteria so will hold off pictures while I work to kill it. :-)
Old 05-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Very nice

Tags
betta, bowl, bubble, jungle, tank journal