Where to get cool driftwood
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 05-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Iliketurtles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Where to get cool driftwood

Was just wondering where some of you guys get interesting pieces of driftwood? Also in some pics it seems as if there are multiple pieces sort of stacked together, but I was unsure how they get them to stay, tying them?
I was trying to think of how I want to set up my tank and was thinking of using a nice piece of driftwood for my focal point. It's a 40G breeder
Iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Tom Barr, Nice selection, cheap as well. Or go find some yourself!
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Iliketurtles
Algae Grower

Where's a good place to find it? I never really looked for it before, could i just go to a park and find some by the lake or would it be really difficult?

Is Dr fosters&smith a bad place to buy? It seems like the price is reasonable enough, my LFS wants $70 for a large piece of driftwood
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Bloom and Branches.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

manzanita.com
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I get mine from local rivers. Free.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Honestly I have found tons of good stuff on [Ebay Link Removed] Alot of people make id numbers for their driftwood. This way what they post is what you get. Plus they list its size or have a ruler laid out next to it. Unlike some sites in which they give you size and images of what your piece may be like. You pay them and they send you what they want. I look for certain pieces and I would like to know exactly what I am getting. I can design my layouts by having a go by. I don't care about shipping charges. Its a given. I am after certain looks and I don't mind paying for it. Its part of the hobby and the money won't be missed once you get your next paycheck,lol.

I ordered from Aquariumdriftwood.com years ago. They were okay. LFS's will charge unreasonable prices in my opinion for the real attractive pieces. Remember their are several different types of driftwood. Research them and find out which one floats your boat and go from there.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Iliketurtles
Algae Grower

Thanks guys, I'll check those places out. Yea I was thinking it kinda sucks that I am just ordering a size of driftwood and not really sure what I'm getting. I'll check ebay too.

Do you guys have any advice on using it? Do some of the tanks you see use multiple pieces linked together somehow as that's what is seems to me. How do they make them stay, or anchor them?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
K8xp
Planted Member

Good places mentioned above. Petco has medium pieces of mopani for about $15 to $20 but it's expensive if you want more than 2... But that's where I got mine.

Just make sure the pieces you grab have lots of notches in them, like dips in the wood and are not just totally smooth. This way you can experiment and find a place where one piece fits into a notch in the other piece, and is secure.

Right now I have one piece of wood buried in the substrate and leaning against a huge rock. I layed the second piece against the first, and also a little against the glass. Very secure, looks like it naturally fell there and has a little tunnel : )
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

There is a learning curve to fitting wood into the sort of structure you want. If you went through my journals here you would see what I mean. I am getting better at this! Start with the largest bit at the angle you would like it to go and work from there the way K8xp wrote. I like to put branches together bit by bit with at least 2 screws per branch. If you are good with zip ties go for it but I cannot get them tight enough. You can attach a tile, piece of slate or flat piece of plastic to the bottom of the structure so it is more stable in the tank. It doesn't have to be a single structure. My current wood is 4 different structures, all attached to bits of acrylic sheet and sort of intertwined so it is hard for me to remember where one ends and the next begins. And I didn't try to make it perfect, just used what I had to make the shape I wanted in the tank. Most of my branches have been redone a couple times so the wood is getting smaller and a bit holey as they go together different ways and I saw off bottom bits to attach the acrylic.

Some day I would like to be able to arrange the wood and have it be stable the way this ADA tank was put together but that isn't likely to work for me yet.
http://youtu.be/rx2sJl0IckM
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

If there is a body of water near you (ocean, lake, river, etc.) just go for a walk. A lot will likely be just beaten up sticks and dimensional lumber, but every now and then you'll come across something beautiful.

Plus, it's free, and you get a nice walk out of it, and will likely see some other interesting things.

I've had some good results using the satellite view of google maps to pick out promising areas.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I collect all mine in the local rivers and beaches. We went to Big talbot state park this weekend (no collecting allowed) and the amount and quality was unreal.

This one looks like some king of demon lol

Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
Iliketurtles
Algae Grower

Yea that last one does look pretty cool, like an evil pigs face.
Kathy I looked at your tank, it came out great. This is my first time ever attempting live plants or scaping, so I'm pretty intimidated. If anyone has any suggestions or layouts I can look at for a beginner that I can pull off in a 40 breeder that'd be awesome. I've looked at a lot of cool tanks, sort of intimidating because I can't imagine mine coming out anything like them.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I go to the lake and find some in remote areas
Old 05-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Look through the ADA videos, they usually have a lot of wood and rock in there. Of course the wood used is really great, gnarled and curved and just the right size for the tank but you can put together odd bits yourself and use strategic plantings of moss, java fern and Anubias to make it all look right to you. Tropica has setups on their website with how tos. http://www.tropica.com/en/layouts.aspx

Note how high and wide the hard scape is in the tanks you admire. Usually minimal scapes are harder to pull off than something that fills the tank.

You can copy the hard scape of a tank you admire and use easier plants, there always is one. It isn't likely your attempt will be much like the original but it will get you going.