what c02 system
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-28-2002, 06:22 AM   #1
danpbmx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to danpbmx

what co2 system can i get,seriously,i hear all these people talking about home made stuff,isnt there just somehting you can buy??
danpbmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2002, 02:07 PM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you got the money just go with pressurized... but you also need the lighting to back it up or it will do more harm then good. and that means More money ... hehe
I just bought a pressurized setup...
5lb. CO2 Bottle - $70
Duel Gauge Harris Regulator/needle valve - $90

Of course I have no patience for bargain hunting , Im sure you could find the parts cheaper.
Old 11-28-2002, 02:13 PM   #3
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Do you want to go with an inexpensive yeast based system (more maintenance required) or do you want to go with a pressurized co2 system (less maintenance but much more expensive). The size of your tank may also dictate which system is more practical for you. The bigger your tank is the less a DIY system is practical. How big is your tank? Are you serious about growing plants or do you want to give it a shot before you take the big plunge? How much light do you have in your tank?
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2002, 02:25 PM   #4
cvarcher
Algae Grower

Where did you buy the Harris guage and 5 lb Co2 tank? Also how long does 5 lbs last? Thanks
cvarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2002, 02:34 PM   #5
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Heres a nice system for $89 that I might get along with a Milwaukee ph controller for $99 from the same site. For $200 I can have a completely automated, ph controlled system.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:29 AM   #6
danpbmx
Algae Grower

hey thanks for the replies,i have a 38 gallon tank with 1.6 watts per gallon (2 light hoods with 36" 30watt aqua-glow bulbs)so the light is spread evenly through out,i grow mostly native stuff from the US but also have some hyrgo and java fern and java moss (wich are hardy anyway).My plants are already growing,but from the sounds of other people talking,there growing slowly(some are)i am very into plants (and nativefish) so i wanted to increase there growing-thats why i wanted to try co2,i saw some thing at petsmart for like 30 dollars,it seemd like it would work,but i only think it treats 20 gallons...could i get two??
Old 11-29-2002, 02:42 AM   #7
danpbmx
Algae Grower

yea,its tha Nutrafin (Hagen) natural plant system,i think i am just going to pick that up...
Old 11-29-2002, 02:54 AM   #8
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Before you go CO2 you might want to increase the lighting. Right now your limiting factor seems to be your lighting. I think 2.5-3.0 watts per gallon is a good range to shoot for. 3 watts would be better. Theres ways to increase the output of your exhisting lights, check out the ODNO post DIY section and the lighting section of this board.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:22 PM   #9
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

You can buy those gauges at any welding supply shop , I have seen them also at some hardware stores...

That setup that Lemay posted above looks like a great deal also ( same price )... I am just one to support my local shops before any mail order dealers or large chain stores. If places like H.D. or walmart only can save me a dollar or 2 then I would give that dollar or 2 to the " little guy "

Hey Lemay...
The PH controllers regulate the CO2 input themselves right ?
If I wanted to hold 6.5 PH you would just set it and forget it ?
If thats the case I might look into that because it would probably really stretch out the life of a bottle. It would shut right down at night just about.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:14 PM   #10
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Buck: the controller swithes a solenoid valve. If your setup doesn't have a solenoid valve, you'll have to get one of those. Yeah, its kinda like a thermostat set it at your desired PH level and the controller opens the solenoid valve whenever the ph rises above that level and lets co2 out until it gets back down to the desired level.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.