Any students here have motivation problems? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
Jello
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)

Try thinking of it this way. You say you are capable of doing anything you want with your life. That may be true from a capability point of view, but out in the "real" world, even though you may be capable, it doesn't mean you'll have the opportunity. Graduating with a higher GPA, being involved, putting effort in, etc... will reward you with more options in life. The more options you have, the more opportunity you'll have to do what you want to do, instead of doing what you have to do.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
Shimagoma
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Shimagoma Send a message via Skype™ to Shimagoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
put yourself in situations like a major/class etc... where you are pushed to your limits. It's as simple and hard as that.
this,

Im an artist and I went to art school, it sounds very frufru and all, but when i was looking at schools I knew that I required rigid and very intense schedules to keep me in line, so i picked a school that was very difficult. In highschool i failed english, i slipped by with barely passing classes ect. But i graduated college with multiple honors, deans list every year and now I even teach college level art theory and history.

Not only do you have to know yourself well enough to punch yourself in the brain and get the work done, but you need to know what you can fall in love with and stick to! Really research your teachers, they are going to help inspire you, talk to them, make them your friends! and seek out ways to apply your hobbies!

It isnt easy, and it is a good sign that you see it in yourself that you can do better than you are now. Maybe see what other distractions are in your life? I know I love my hobbies, but it is nice to take a step back now and then and realize i gotta keep it to two or three.. not 10... heh.

Good luck and really let yourself get into a curriculum that inspires you. you're paying money to learn! I would recommend checking out the modern scholar series on audible, maybe listening to some of that stuff and seeing what other subjects you might want to get into? My school was for liberal arts though.. so it is a little different.
Shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I like this thread. Kinda explains exactly how I feel rightnow at this point of my life. I attended and graduated from a pretty well known high school and got into a majority of the colleges I applied for. But solely due to financial barriers, I was unable to attend ANY of them. With two sisters in college, their combined tuition alone is over $65,000/year, and my parents make ~$100,000/year. So obviously, there had to be cuts somewhere, unfortunately it being in MY educational destination.

I am now at a community college trying to save up enough to transfer. Since being at a CC, my confidence, motivation, etc. have shot down. I know I have potential and am very sure that I want to be a Physical Therapist in the future, but the mixture of the course load, the inability to get the classes I need being at a CC, and simply being somewhere that I do not feel I deserve to be in is what is bringing me down.

What I do to fight this is keep my mind set on that goal of becoming a PT. I tell myself that I actually don't know anything, and that that is the reason why I go to school everyday and put myself through tough courses, etc. I feel that the thought of "I'm smart, just lazy," is another excuse to not study and not try, in general. I used that excuse A LOT in my life, and I know I can't have that mentality if I want to compete in the science departments of the schools I want to transfer to. If you consciously understand that you actually don't know, you leave room for more growth. At least that's what I think:P haha

Last edited by mjbn; 05-07-2013 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: x
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
ETK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

OK, i will get preachy. I agree with MJBN. And to take it a bit further, a lot of posters above need to be careful of the "back door brag" about things not being challenging enough to interest you. Specifically, if you think you are not performing because you are not challenged enough, that is probably just an excuse to make yourself feel good about mediocre results. Just look at school as a game: you might as well try to win. And learn something while you are there.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #20
Shimagoma
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Shimagoma Send a message via Skype™ to Shimagoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post
OK, i will get preachy. I agree with MJBN. And to take it a bit further, a lot of posters above need to be careful of the "back door brag" about things not being challenging enough to interest you. Specifically, if you think you are not performing because you are not challenged enough, that is probably just an excuse to make yourself feel good about mediocre results. Just look at school as a game: you might as well try to win. And learn something while you are there.
Yeah MJBN has a few good points, but if ETK's thoughts on "might as well try to win" is how you approach school and college, or at least the school you are going to now, maybe it (school) is something you arnt interested in?

but the "im smart but lazy" excuse for many is real, the problem is, when you are smart lazy and still dont care or dont have the self-esteem to make the changed needed, AND don't want help...

In many cases people DO have challenge issues, plenty of people work better under pressure or under teachers who challenge them as individuals not just as cookie cutter office workers. But in those cases it is all or nothing, you have to commit to things and take what comes with them, or not do it (didnt yoda say something about that?) Setting yourself up to fail wont help either, (taking courses you arnt interested in, scheduling what you know you cant complete,not getting in early to apply for courses)
Shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimagoma View Post
In many cases people DO have challenge issues, plenty of people work better under pressure or under teachers who challenge them as individuals not just as cookie cutter office workers. But in those cases it is all or nothing, you have to commit to things and take what comes with them, or not do it (didnt yoda say something about that?) Setting yourself up to fail wont help either, (taking courses you arnt interested in, scheduling what you know you cant complete,not getting in early to apply for courses)
Kids without an art/design education don't really get what we went through. We stay up for days, not to party but to do our projects

.. There's a time and place for everything and you give it your all; work hard - party hard.

Last edited by mistergreen; 05-07-2013 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: +
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

This made me giggle a little bit, as I didn't even bothering going to may last two days of classes (just 2). I really do not put a lot of effort into it, but I do make sure I take the time to at least obtain an above satisfactory grade albeit usually the night before. Like people have mentioned before, if it is something that actually peaks your interest you will find more relation in the work. I personally am in it for the BAH (Post 911 GI bill that I cannot give to my wife or kids) and am struggling to keep myself amused until a challenging course is presented. Everyone has a learning style, you just need to find yours.

Legal Studies - South University Savannah Campus
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #23
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Motivation problems? Every.single.day.

I'll get back to this once I have something useful to say #finalsblow
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
I am now at a community college trying to save up enough to transfer. Since being at a CC, my confidence, motivation, etc. have shot down.

This is smart, not a demotivational issue.

CC confers the same degrees after you transfer to a 4 year school, but at 1/2 the cost, the % completing their degree from CC's transferring to the 4 year school is extremely high. 4 years schools: you are often taught by TA's for the 1st 1-2 years anyway, CC, you get the professor directly and in much smaller class sizes.

CC are WELL worth the $. Grading on a curve? Better to be in the CC.

I got competitive as far as test and studying, my social life and study life were pretty close. I did not need to study a long time, I learned to study smart and time efficient.

You will need those A's to get fellowships and grants for Grad school later on.
Believe me, you will want those options later. Once you get those, then, as long as you keep that GPA at 3.0 or high, you are good.

Deadlines produce work for most people, self motivation? Well why are you in College to begin with?

you have the motivation to enroll and go every day....may as well do well and I'll tell this much, a bad day as school is better than good day at the factory.
Been there, done this.

Good points though mjbn.

Study groups and finding those will similar goals to study and hang out with is wise. And Grad school is even more isolating and motivation is required in huge amounts.

Pay off? Good $, few people with such degrees and skills.
I was a bad student for a long time. So I know what many are going through here. Brains has nothing to do wit it, it's work, you do the work, you get the grade.

And being is college is not that bad really..........
Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #25
PlantedTankRookie
Algae Grower

Lack of motiviation comes from the inability to convince yourself of the correct decision. Somehow you know what the correct decision is but you just can't convince yourself of the importance.
Attacking this is multidimensional:
1. You must recognize when it is decision time. For many, the thought of "wow, I just wasted a lot of time on nothing" comes after the fact. Too late. To ensure you recognize when it is decsion time, lay out a schedule and try to stick to it.
2. Whether you make the correct decision or not, ensure it is high quality time. If you choose to go to the beach instead of doing work, don't think about work at the beach. Maximize the trip to the beach. If you choose to do the work, think only of the work and not what you could be doing. If you are more effective with the time you allocate, you will be more successful. This is actually a focus point in Zen living: "Focus on the task at hand, period." For me it is work-at-work and play-at-play. Don't think about play time at work, and don't think about work at play time.
3. When making the decision, ask yourself a few questions about each choice. How will you feel tomorrow about each choice? Which one will be just as fun or just as useful if put off for a few days or weeks or even years. One of my battles is with time spent playing video games. That is an easy one if you spend the time to analyze it: The video game will always be there. The video game will be just as fun next year as it would have been this year.
You only get one chance to do you best in school.
PlantedTankRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
ckraft
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I dealt with the problem by flunking out. Depression was involved in my case, be alert for that.
ckraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #27
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

Totally got you, Tom I was the dude over at SFBAAPS last year asking about college advice if you remember that:P haha I'm currently keeping a 3.6, but really need to get it up to a 3.8-4.0 to feel more "comfortable" when I apply to transfer to UCLA for Bio, or Human Bio, or Physiology:P Granted, I still have to take many, many science/math courses before I can even apply.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
All your base
Planted Member

I'm going to take the cliff notes approach because honestly I think this boils down to a simple concept:

In life, you sometimes have to force yourself to do things you don't want to do, in order to get some reward you're interested in at a later point in time.

In the real world, it's often not the "smart" people that do well, it's the people who aren't afraid to roll up their sleeves and put in some effort. The most important thing you'll learn in college isn't the knowledge in a textbook. It's the work ethic and the ability to work hard doing things that you don't always find interesting.

Employers usually don't care about hiring smart workers. They care about hiring HARD workers. Especially at the entry-level positions you'll likely look at straight out of college. I know I can hire a hard worker and then teach them what they need to know. If I hire a "smart but lazy" person, I'm going to have a hard time getting them to put in their fair share, and that's going to be a problem.
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #29
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by All your base View Post
In the real world, it's often not the "smart" people that do well, it's the people who aren't afraid to roll up their sleeves and put in some effort. The most important thing you'll learn in college isn't the knowledge in a textbook. It's the work ethic and the ability to work hard doing things that you don't always find interesting.
DEFINITELY agree on this. Not gonna lie, rightnow my grade in my chem and calc class are like D/C-ish. I'm horrible at math. horrribleee. Don't mind saying that I hate it. lol but if it's gonna take me where I wanna go, then yeah I'll put my efforts in it and go through "hell" now so that in the future I'll be happy (PT dream come true please. lol)

I'm def. not the most book smart person around, but I know that I'm more "adaptable" than most people I encounter.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #30
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I just graduated in December and I can totally relate to what you are talking about. I always got decent grades just by half paying attention in class/cramming the night before but had I worked a little harder and focused I think I would be in a better position right now as I am still looking for a job.

There are a couple things that other people mentioned (all really great advice btw) that really ring true for me.

1. Have a schedule: This is something I am just kind of figuring out now. If you don't get a rhythm going it is hard to care about making extra time to study. The beauty of a college schedule is there is often time spread throughout the day... USE IT!

2. Think about what you want: For me the biggest reason I was so apathetic was because I couldn't clearly see what I wanted or how what I was doing was going to get me there. Think about the things that you are passionate about, find a goal career and identify how you will get there. Unless your dream is to live at home forever, that usually involves graduating as a first step.

3. Don't focus so much on having a life plan so much as a next step: You don't know where your life will take you. You may have an ideal career/lifestyle all planned out in your mind but as they say "Men plan, God laughs." I have met few people who knew what they wanted to do from birth but they just had to identify the next step in their life and life kind of worked itself out. The apathy that comes with the uncertainty of the future is something I feel but you can't focus on events you can't control.

4. Just do it: Sometimes I am really lazy and I just need to "just do it." For me that means doing whatever it takes to get things done when its necessary. Coffee, All nighters, being trapped in the library.

I feel like a hypocrite writing some of this but hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I knew then what I know now
snakeskin is offline   Reply With Quote