Any students here have motivation problems?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Synyster1337
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any students here have motivation problems?

Hi all. I was wondering if any of the college bros (or sis's :P) Have the same problem as me. I don't want to sound like I'm being self-centered, but I'm a pretty sharp-minded young fellow, and I'm capable of doing whatever I want to with my life. I got a 28 on my ACT before college, and the whole time I've been in school, I've just skated by with doing just enough. I can't be bothered to study extra hard for that A or B just because I don't care to. Is there any way to curb this other than "sucking it up"?
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Re: Any students here have motivation problems?

None that i have found been the same my whole life. Started back to school last year and still having the same issues

Jason
Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

You can pump yourself full of ADD meds or suck it up. I had the same motivation issues in school and it ended up costing me $7000 because I had to stay an extra semester. I never got on meds though because I'm not a fan.
Clemsons2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
dudebro
Algae Grower

Default Any students here have motivation problems?

Your gonna be more likely to have better jobs and better pay if your GPA and internships rock. Step it up.

Study groups are fun. I always had good grades with classes where I was in a group. You compete with your friends for the better grade.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Same boat. Intelligent but I'd say lazy to be honest. Never studied or just crammed a couple hours the night before a test and made it through all my classes with little issue. I graduated in December and still haven't taken my certification exam (respiratory therapy) or bothered to look for a job in the field I just spent 3 years and $34k to study. Instead I went back into law enforcement and so far it's been alright. I have gotten to fulfill a career dream getting to become a K9 handler. I figure at some point this summer I'll get my cert. and take a part time job in respiratory therapy and at some point make the switch over completely.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebro View Post
Your gonna be more likely to have better jobs and better pay if your GPA and internships rock. Step it up.

Study groups are fun. I always had good grades with classes where I was in a group. You compete with your friends for the better grade.
Some companies look at GPA but not as many as you think. Its a good selling point if you have a good one, but my GPA upon graduation wasn't anything to brag about so I didn't list it on my resume. I've never had anyone ask for it and I have nailed every interview I've ever been to. Most of finding a job comes down to how you present yourself and your experience. Nobody likes a know-it-all with a high GPA and no practical experience. Internships will help with the experience part, but depends on your major. I majored in Microbiology and there are limited options out there as far as internships are concerned.
Clemsons2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

You just need a 'reality check' or some sort of motivator. I was the same way all throughout highschool and beginning of college. Coasted through my AP courses, got A's and B's without trying. Went to college, tried the same routine... and realized college actually requires more work. My grades dropped and my dad threatened to stop cosigning my student loans if I didn't bring my GPA back up.

He also gave me a talk about who I choose to be friends with. If you surround yourself with unmotivated slackers, you will be an unmotivated slacker. I shed my old friends and found new ones within my classes, who are of the same major. They're all motivated and innovative individuals who are looking to succeed.

Since then, I raised my GPA from a sub-2.0 to above a 3.0, got my first internship, graduated with a bachelors degree, web development certificate, and a 3.5 GPA, and landed a software development job with a large company making a respectable salary. I feel more happy with myself than I ever have, and the money's a bonus!

I think you just really need that 'motivating' factor, something that inspires you to succeed, to set and reach goals.

I hope you figure things out, because once you do life will be so much easier! Good luck!
Cyanider is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

put yourself in situations like a major/class etc... where you are pushed to your limits. It's as simple and hard as that.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Also, I don't know what your major is, but getting involved in projects outside of coursework definitely helps. For me, I created websites on the side to increase my experience since I technically had none. The fact that I took initiative to do that on my own reflected well upon myself with employers. I know you can't really do that with all majors, but just something to think about.
Cyanider is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

One thing that helped me (at least for Gen Ed classes) was to find the pre-med students. Those guys and gals are always studying together and won't take anything less than an A in a course. They really go through everything backwards and forwards to make sure they fully understand the subject material. I got an A in every class that I hooked up with those kids.
Once you develop a habit of this style of studying in lower level classes, it will transfer over to other higher level classes that require more out of their students.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
ETK
Planted Member

Don't worry about it. The world needs ditch diggers too!

(how's that for motivation?)
Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

My motivation? Parents, grandparents and my boss. My father and grandfather both died this year so they didn't get to see me graduate. Mother and grandmother would've killed me dead if I didn't make good grades. My boss? Well, he's a very respectable man and he also drives me to do well in my education so I do so. He actually bumped my hours up to almost full time until I find a job. His way of saying he's proud of me.

The work load was a bit discouraging sometimes but you do what you've gotta do. As many have said; what you do now will pay off later when you go to search for a career.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
xiaoxiy
Planted Member

Try to figure out why you're in college, and find a passion that you can work towards. Instead of working for grades, work for knowledge; this helps me get through college.
xiaoxiy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

I'm similar in the sense I can't get motivated for certain classes. Specifically ones outside my major.

I dealt with it mostly through pushing hard to develop professional relationships and internships in college. It makes you feel like you're out there doing IT.

I've gotten a multitude of high profile internships by hustling for them, and I know anybody with drive can do the same.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
swissian
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

I also had the same issue in my undergrad. I skated by easily in high school and I think it took me a semester or two to figure out what I needed to do to get a B or higher in uni. I think it also helped that after the first two semesters I began taking more of the classes in my major rather than core credits. I needed a challenge in my course work to even want to start.

Right now, I am in grad school and still have motivation issues. I normally just try and get through one week at a time. This helps me from feeling too overwhelmed. I find it extremely difficult to do work in classes that expect far too much. For those, I am now of the mindset that I will do the best that I can. I set goals for myself in each class. Since I know I have procrastination issues, I give myself a day or two leeway on some of my tasks.

It is also easy to overlook the importance of eating well, sleeping enough and exercise. If I do not drink enough water in a day, I get very tired. If I slack off and eat easy processed food, I get lazier. Exercise is hard for me to fit in as I am on campus from 9-7 and just want to go home and crash. Going to the gym does actually perk up my energy level when I can actually get the energy to go! :P
swissian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.