Does this seem right?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
PapHater
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Does this seem right?

My cycle has been going for exactly 12 days and these are my nitrite and nitrate readings.

This cycle hasn't exactly been by the book. At the start a ton of fish food was thrown in (not by me). I had huge ammonia readings (way darker than the 8ppm color) for about four and half days until I was able to do about a 40% water change. After that water change I switched to mainly using pure ammonia and also picked up a bottle of ATM's colony and breakout. I had a gift card so I figured what the hell. The colony instructions were to use 4oz per 25 gallons. I used 4oz right off the bat (tank is a 20g) and then used the rest of the bottle of the course of about 3 days. I didn't like the fact that it didn't need to be refrigerated so I didn't want to just leave it sitting out. So now after 12 days I can convert about 4ppm of ammonia to 0.25 in about 18 hours and those are my readings for my nitrite and nitrate. Does that seem possible after just 12 days?

The tank is already planted but its not too crazy.
PapHater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

FWIW,, plants comes full of bacteria ready to do that, they will colonize ur tank for you

there are very few products out there that contain the correct species of bacteria.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
PapHater
Algae Grower

Yeah I wasn't looking for any miracles, I was just looking to use up a gift card. But now I'm mainly concerned about whether or not this is a legit cycle. This is my first tank and it just seems like its happening awfully fast. To be technical I had those same readings last night so really that's 11 days.
PapHater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
dkreef
Planted Member

When u have plants it wont follow routine cycle. But when ammonia and nitrite is 0 then yur done.
Mine was like that. Added ammonia 4-5ppm nitrite never passed 0.5ppm then both was 0 and nitrate was 80. I checked again by adding ammonia again and same result. My cycle was done
dkreef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
dkreef
Planted Member

Also plants come with bacteria so it will be fast. Mine was 3weeks
dkreef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapHater View Post
Yeah I wasn't looking for any miracles, I was just looking to use up a gift card. But now I'm mainly concerned about whether or not this is a legit cycle. This is my first tank and it just seems like its happening awfully fast. To be technical I had those same readings last night so really that's 11 days.
the bacteria bottles you buy sometimes contain nitrogen fixating bacterium that don't survive well underwater and will work for shot periods of time, these generally say use during every water change to maintain a healthy biological filter
exception to that rule is nite-out II which is a good product but says to use during water changes

the good news is, even if its the wrong bacteria, the other kind is still growing, just at a slower rate.
just keep adding ammonia and things will work out.
it is okay if it cycles fast, again. plants do come wit hthe neccesary bacteria already on them. especially the roots which will help colonize the substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.