pool filter sand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 05-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
DoubleT
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)

pool filter sand

I want my next shrimp tank to have pool filter sand as a substrate. I am looking for sand that is more tan than white. What is a good brand? and where can I get it locally?
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
thelub

PTrader: (12/100%)

I bought mine at home depot. It wasn't labeled as pool filter sand, but just plain silica or silicate sand. Its an off white color, not quite tan but it might be what you're looking for. I'm using it in my shrimp tank with no issues.
thelub is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #3
discuspaul
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Most pool supply stores will carry a tan colored silica sand that is true PFS, for around $10. for a 50 lb. bag.
Much of what is sold in pool supply stores has no name brand, but you won't get fooled as you might by buying sand from a big box store, which may be less dense and sold as PFS, when it really is not of the same quality.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Play sand from Lowes or Home Depot will be a tan color and I've used it successfully before. Just be sure to rinse it well.
Clemsons2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #5
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quikrete brand pool filter sand ($2/bag at home depot) has a nice off-white/tan color.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Most pool supply stores will carry a tan colored silica sand that is true PFS, for around $10. for a 50 lb. bag.
Much of what is sold in pool supply stores has no name brand, but you won't get fooled as you might by buying sand from a big box store, which may be less dense and sold as PFS, when it really is not of the same quality.
Just bought three 50 lb bags from Menards. Haven't opened the bags up yet. Now you have me feeling I should have purchased from the Pool and Spa store.....
Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
discuspaul
Wannabe Guru

Play sands and other sands available at the bix box stores are very inexpensive and do the job quite well - many aquarists use them, and are very happy with them.
Can't argue with that.

But as Clemsons2K said, they do need a lot of rinsing - & I mean a lot.

After having used several different types of sands over the years, I have found that quartz-based silica pool filter (usually obtainable only @ pool or spa supply stores - with only the odd exception) is dust/dirt & grit-free, and requires little or no rinsing.
I place mine right into the tank with no rinsing, and there may only be very minor clouding for perhaps an hour or so.

It is also quite dense, (larger-grained, heavier and denser than play sand) so will not free-float into the water column when disturbed, will not therefore find its way into filters & assemblies to clog them up, and will not get siphoned out when doing substrate vacuuming.
Unfortunately, the sands bought @ the big box stores do not generally have any of those qualities.
Check it out - you'll soon know for yourself. My .02
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #8
thelub

PTrader: (12/100%)

The silica sand I bought from HD needed very little rinsing. Play sand and concrete sand can vary in color by location because a lot of it is usually bagged in local quarries and can be different color depending on the local geology
thelub is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #9
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
The silica sand I bought from HD needed very little rinsing. Play sand and concrete sand can vary in color by location because a lot of it is usually bagged in local quarries and can be different color depending on the local geology
I agree... I used to buy sand from the pool supply (actually for my pool haha) at over $10 per 50 lb bag until I found the same exact stuff at home depot for $2 / 50lb. You can dump them out side by side and they are exactly the same. They perform the same in both the pool and the aquarium. I don't rinse mine at all and it only clouds the water for an hour or two, and I've never had any float into the water column. It's the exact same consistency and coloration as the "brand name" sand that I used to buy, only 80% cheaper.

The bag doesn't have a pretty picture of a swimming pool on it... I guess that's what the extra $8-9 is for.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I bought mine form Leslie's Pool Supply. It's a wonderful tan color, looks very natural in my planted tank.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
DoubleT
Planted Member

thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll probably just go to my local pool supply store. Are there some brands that I should stay away from because they might have chemicals? If so what are they so I know not to get them?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
discuspaul
Wannabe Guru

Pool supply stores don't sell any filter sand that has any chemicals in it, to the best of my knowledge. Sand for pool filtration should be totally inert, so safe for aquarium use.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have been buying my PFS from leslies for years myself, and up here in mass we get a bright white silica sand, i havnt had the tan color yet. I love the stuff.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
DoubleT
Planted Member

Ok I went by Warehouse pool supply since we dont have a a Leslies around here, and this is what I got, its made by Seagull, they had medium filter sand and coarse filter sand. I went with the coarse filter sand b/c it looked better. The medium filter sand looks just like play sand which was too fine for me. They both had a nice tan color though....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	139146  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7630.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	139154  

Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Don't know how big your tank is, but Carib Sea's Sunset Gold is great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.