Ordering plants off eBay...good or bad idea?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
panchovilla1133
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ordering plants off eBay...good or bad idea?

Is ordering plants off eBay a good or bad idea? Dont want to open a box of dead plants, so let me know what you think or where you guys get your plants
Thanks
panchovilla1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
jnaz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Start a WTB thread here. This is the best place to get plants.
jnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Ordering plants off eBay...good or bad idea?

Aquabid is also a good source of plants
Old 05-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
FriendsNotFood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

This forum or Aquabid. I wouldn't bother with ebay as most of the sellers on there are from overseas and it's a crapshoot whether customs opens and destroys your package (or puts you on some watchlist). Any US seller on Aquabid is great though, as is everyone on this forum. Post a WTB in the WTB/RAOK section if you're looking for something and chances are tons of people here have it.
FriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
BarbH
Planted Member

Default Re: Ordering plants off eBay...good or bad idea?

Agree with the above. If you are planning on getting a lot of plants right away aquarium plants.com is good. Just got plants from them a few weeks ago. Shipping is high if only getting a few plants but can do well if ordering a large amount. Also my experience with their customer service was good, I had a few plants missing from my order, they sent them out the next week no questions asked and no additional shipping cost.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

If the plants are coming from over seas, Id say there is a larger chance they might be dead. Not to mention going through customs and what not. I ordered pinnafold from Japan during winter. It came out dead (what was I thinking?). Besides that aquabid or even better, right here.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
Searchlights
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbH View Post
Agree with the above. If you are planning on getting a lot of plants right away aquarium plants.com is good. Just got plants from them a few weeks ago. Shipping is high if only getting a few plants but can do well if ordering a large amount. Also my experience with their customer service was good, I had a few plants missing from my order, they sent them out the next week no questions asked and no additional shipping cost.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
+1 for Aquariumplants .com.... I've used them a few times for big orders and haven't been let down yet. They don't have much rare stuff but they do have a large variety.

55g planted, with bosemani, turquoise, and Australian rainbows.
40g low light, yellow neocaridina, tetra tank.
55g mbuna tank
Dirt<3

God formed Man out of dirt from the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life. The Man came alive - a living soul-- Genesis 2:7
Searchlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
Gtdad2
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Plantedaquariumscentral. I just received a large order from them. Beautiful stuff and shipped very fast. Other than that, I get them here.
The Fraternity of Dirt #58
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-warning.html
RAOK CLUB #20
Gtdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

I buy all my plants here. I actually dislike to purchase from ebay etc since you generally get less for your money. I'd rather support the hobbyist than some random guy trying to multiply plants as a business.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
I'd rather support the hobbyist than some random guy trying to multiply plants as a business.
+1 couldn't have said it better !

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
Big O
Raider for life

PTrader: (32/100%)

As said, over sea's stuff doesn't arrive live, iv'e had good experience with US seller's though.

my 2 penny's,

big o
Big O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #12
catfishbi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (86/100%)

Quote:
I buy all my plants here. I actually dislike to purchase from ebay etc since you generally get less for your money. I'd rather support the hobbyist than some random guy trying to multiply plants as a business.
+1 same here
Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #13
UberSquid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I made the mistake of ordering Christmas moss off eBay. Its been two months and its just starting to recover. That and I'm still not real sure its actually Christmas moss. The plus side is that when I took it out of quarantine and it hit the big tank with lots of light and co2 I found some kind of hitch hikers that are starting to loom pretty good. Hopefully they will be big enough to identify soon.

Yay free plants!

I still wouldn't buy from them again.
UberSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #14
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

Honestly, I've never seen anything on ebay that I thought was worth purchasing. I feel their portions are too small for the price. Here on the forums, you get higher quality plants, and you can check out the sellers tanks and read about their growing experiences.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #15
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Quote:
I buy all my plants here.
As do i but actually look at the tank journals to see if they come from beautifully scape tanks that come from lots of care and attention... or emersed money tanks that are basically cash cows bred for $.

Quote:
I actually dislike to purchase from ebay etc since you generally get less for your money. I'd rather support the hobbyist than some random guy trying to multiply plants as a business.
Many folks here also sell on aquabid and ebay so i really wouldnt go by that alone. Just know who you are dealing with and what you are purchasing. They say right on the first post of the sale forum, buyer beware... which pretty much pertains to anything online.

One of the driving forces behind starting up a new york community was to swap plants and bypass all the shipping. There's something to be said about knowing the human side of the hobby and making this less of a transactional thing...