Terrarium question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 11-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Kavak
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Terrarium question

Hi
I want to use my aqua plant such a hemianthus cuba/hydrocotyle/chrismas moss to make small terrarium.my question is that is keeping this terrarium easy or not,because i cant moist it every day and.....
Because sometimes im in trip and im not in home.so keeping this terrarium is hard or not?
Tnx

Last edited by Kavak; 11-21-2014 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: A
Kavak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
Squrl888
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hey Kavak! It should be easy. These all seem to grow readily emersed. Just treat them like regular terrarium plants. In a closed terrarium they will probably keep humid and moist enough. I grow hydrocotyle and hemianthus callicthroides 'cuba' in a small covered terrarium that is actually just a 2.5 gallon aquarium. I have this terrarium covered with a plastic wrap to keep in humidity. Generally it is not necessary to mist it everyday, however I keep mine with more water than I should.
I would advise you to try it, and just adjust how often you mist it to whatever works for you.
Squrl888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
James`
Algae Grower

If you go for a vivarium that'd be sweet! I like using Hydroballs on the bottom with a mesh layer above, sponge, then your soil... You have a small 1" water layer on bottom to keep moist. Those hydroballs also will contain beneficial bacterial...

I personally say go Paludarium and use a waterfall with carbon/small sponge at the top for filtration... All you need is one submersible pump in with your hydro balls to run the waterfall back.. Gravity is awesome. This way you don't have to keep it most, you can keep amphibious animals and you can have true emersed plants. Then at the top of water you can grow plant out of water in just humid moist conditions. Still go the hydroball route too in my opinion...
James` is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Kavak
Algae Grower

Tnx alot
Kavak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
JeremyM
Algae Grower

yup, having a glass top or covering it with plastic wrap will make it pretty easy. You will want to take it off periodically to allow for some air exchange, and it would be ideal if you had a small section uncovered and/or had a small computer fan running inside the terrarium to prevent stagnant air. But with the plants you want, that's not really necessary.
JeremyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.