Going fish shopping later
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Going fish shopping later

I have an 80 gal tank that has been running for years. I have lost some of my smaller fish and I am looking for a nice school or 2.

80 gal planted.
3 stunted discus. (That are 3 years old. )
10 Cory cats
2 otos
1 clown pleco (that's 6 years old and boring as a stick. )
3 neons ( I had 12 but only 3 left)
1 bolivian ram ( also a old fish at 4 years old.)
1 blue aspito

I could get more neons but I have had Such bad luck with them.

I am looking for cheap and hardy active fun fish.
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Cheap, active, hardy = danios. I am currently trading in my 5 zebras for something a bit calmer. They are constantly moving.
Psycofc1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Not too small but they have beautiful color patterns, are always very active, almost together, very hardy, and are cheap = Giant Danios; if you have good lighting and healthy tank conditions they will have silvers, blues, yellows, & reds in their color !
jfynyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Rummy nose rasboras?
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Aulonocara_Freak
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, Seprae Tetras, etc. Those are all some pretty hardy fish, they should do good in your tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon
Well if you're going to be a noob I guess you should go all out........
Aulonocara_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I think the black skirts might be a good pick. I have always wanted some but never got them because they are so common. But I have kept many uncommon fish and now I want to try the common ones.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Isujustice05
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

+1 for serpae's! They are a great looking fish very active in my tank and petco just had them on sale for a $1 a piece
RAOK CLUB #95
Isujustice05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I always hated black neons in the LFS but recently The ever evil Pets Mart had all of thier fish on sale for under $1 I bought 15 of these for 57cents each. I now have a whole different opinion I love the way they shine against my plants and they school all the time in front of my koriala. Also much hardier than standard neons. (pestmart was upgrading thier system and had to sell all of their fish) I have had them for 3 months now and they are all very healthy

Jason
aquarium hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

White Cloud Mountain Minnows are hardy and nice. The regular ones are grey-ish with a red iridescent stripe in the light. I have the golden WCMM's though. Gold shimmery body with red fins and little black spots. There is also a long finned variety, but I've not seen it in person.
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarium hippy View Post
I always hated black neons in the LFS but recently The ever evil Pets Mart had all of thier fish on sale for under $1 I bought 15 of these for 57cents each. I now have a whole different opinion I love the way they shine against my plants and they school all the time in front of my koriala. Also much hardier than standard neons. (pestmart was upgrading thier system and had to sell all of their fish) I have had them for 3 months now and they are all very healthy

Jason

I got the black neons. I have 8 of them I got them from PetCo the one near me has a surprisingly healthy fish selection. Unlike petsmart they have very sad looking fish. I saw these fish a week ago they caught my eye.

I just added them to the tank and they are acting like they have lived in it for ever. No scared at all. Very fun to watch. I also got a golems dojo loach my daughter picked it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptoon'd View Post
White Cloud Mountain Minnows are hardy and nice. The regular ones are grey-ish with a red iridescent stripe in the light. I have the golden WCMM's though. Gold shimmery body with red fins and little black spots. There is also a long finned variety, but I've not seen it in person.
I got some golden white clouds for my planted 20gal tank that only has some shrimp and 2 sparkleing Gouramis. I love these fish too. they are active not st sll shy. They were the prefect addition to my cooler temp tank.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
Tinder
Algae Grower

I care for some Dojos, congrats! They are one of my favs. They do like groups though and dont like temps over 76 degrees, but honestly my oldest guy is about 8 inches long and has been kept for quite awile on his own with some zebra danios at like 78-80 degrees, so they are very hardy fish. Beware of ich, when you first acclimate them they get it very easily and due to being scale less they can be a bit difficult to treat. Mine always get it after the first week in the tank, then after they are cured never seem to get it again.
Tinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #12
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

I LOVE my Harlequin Rasboras. Beautiful little fish, and they are always in a nice tight school.
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote