The Planted Tank Forum banner

Seachem Red Flourite and HC?

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MMantelli 
#1 ·
I am really excited bc I have some HC on the way and I want to make sure everything is right. I have been doing some reading and it seems as though HC needs lighter finer gravel with lots of nutrients to grow well.

I currently have seachem red flourite gravel (at least I think thats what it is, I bought the gravel many years ago) and I am wondering whether this will not be too course?

How deep should my gravel be for HC? Should I add some clay or soil with the gravel?

#2 ·
I grew a good carpet of hc with fluorite, however it does take the roots longer to anchor in the substrate than say sand. If you are starting it dry then you will be ok but in an already established tank it's a PITA !
I also found when it comes to trimming it can be a little frustrating due to the lumpy substrate .

#5 ·
I think I will pick up some smaller grained gravel tomorrow. I have been reading that it is better to grow HC in a biologically active medium that is also fortified with nutrients. As far as I know the fluorite is just inert gravel isn't it? Should I be adding anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.