Low-Tech, Daphnia friendly, Filtering?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-27-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
Fyre
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Fyre Send a message via Yahoo to Fyre

I have a 10 gallon tank I'd like to set up with plants and some small critters such as daphnia/ ostracods. Problem is the plants I want to grow need absolute minimal water movement. I want to filter somehow to help avoid algae. What will cause the least agitation and be the most compatable with daphnia and other small water creatures?
Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2003, 10:08 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

If you really really want to keep daphnia only, you don't need a filter at all. Just a very very small powerhead with a larger sponge on the inlet (so the critters don't get sucked in and ground up) and on the outlet either a tiny spraybar that provides minimal water movement throughout the tank, or another sponge should work... If you are not much of a DIY'er, you could get the smallest available internal filter, and reduce water movement with sponges on the outlet.
Another way to avoid sucking in the little hoppers is a DIY filter. I described that in my cheap 43 gal tank setup, I am going to update the link to that one very soon. Basically you take a foam pad that is as tall as your tank and fix it with some plastic thingies in one back corner. The compartment then can house a tiny powerhead which pumps water back into the tank, as well as heater and CO2 if used. The water flows very slowly from the tank into that corner compartment, and nothing gets shredded...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote