Hagen Peat Plates?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 11-27-2003, 12:54 PM   #1
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Does anyone know how big each plate is, and how many they give you? What are the advantages of using Peat anyways? :?
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2003, 10:18 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Using peat in your filter will make your water more acidic and softer. The acids in the peat can create "blackwater"-like conditions found in some tropical streams rich with organic matter, like the Amazon. This in turn gives some fishies that "at home" feel and they might spawn, and the eggs and fry survival rate is bigger due to reduced fungus growth and micro org attacks.
These are the advantages of using peat anyways... not sure about the product you are asking.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 03:29 AM   #3
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

http://hagen.com/canada/english/aqua...01010460010101

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 10:32 AM   #4
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

I know it lowers pH and softens water,but what does it do for the plants?
Old 11-28-2003, 03:27 PM   #5
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

It decomposes slowly (releasing Ammonia/Nitrate), and it has a reasonably high CEC rating so nutrients bond to it well, keeping the nutrients at the plant roots.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:39 PM   #6
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

So it's really great and shows it advantage on root-feeders?
Old 11-28-2003, 07:00 PM   #7
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

In my soil tanks I have peat mixed into the substrate. It works well, but be prepared for tea coloured water. It leaches tannins like you wouldnt believe
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 12:41 AM   #8
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

Peat in the substrate is just another way to ask for algae outbreaks until the massive amount of organic matter you put in your substrate finishes decomposing. If you enjoy methane and sulfur-dioxide, by all means, put some peat in your substrate. If you want to wonder what is wrong with your tank for the next nine months to two years put lots of peat in the substrate.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:57 AM   #9
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
Peat in the substrate is just another way to ask for algae outbreaks until the massive amount of organic matter you put in your substrate finishes decomposing. If you enjoy methane and sulfur-dioxide, by all means, put some peat in your substrate. If you want to wonder what is wrong with your tank for the next nine months to two years put lots of peat in the substrate.
I disagree with that. Not a big fan of anything organic as a substrate myself, but from what I know about and experienced with peat, it is already finished decomposing and will not cause what you described. Maybe I am wrong, happens all the time :mrgreen:
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:25 AM   #10
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

Peat, an organic matter, will not decompose in acidic, soft water.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:54 PM   #11
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

Peat has not finished decomposing until it is turned into a mineralized soil. Putting peat into an anoxic situation results in all the anerobic byproduct toxic gasses like methane and hydrogen-sulfide, the later can cause serious damage to plant roots and fish. Its decomposition also causes major ammonia spikes, duh (to quote my daughter). I did say sulfur-dioxide before but that would be rapidly turned into sulfuric acid in an aqueous situation, I meant hydrogen-sulfide.

Peat doesn't decompose in highly acidic water like in a peat bog, where you usually don't find any submerged plants or fish either. In the slightly acidic water of your aquarium peat will decompose quite easily.

By the way, part of the decomposition process of peat is the release of tannins and humic acids, something which you noted in your tanks.

Like I said, if you want to screw up a tank, and stand around scratching your head as to why, put some peat in the substrate. Have a wonderful time, just don't tell other people that it's OK, that is irresponsible .

I am not opposed to putting peat in the filter to soften or color the water, you have some control of it there.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:40 PM   #12
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

The peat plates are too big and too thick to use under gravel.

I have frequently read posts suggesting that one put a tiny bit of peat under gravel in planted tanks, for the high CEC value of the peat. The amount suggested in perhaps one handful or a tablespoon or therabouts. Also, that should be moistened, which may require boiling.

If you go to the SkepticalAquarist.com site, somewhere there is a link to a page all about peat. It is used to soften the water, as it binds up calcium (or magnesium, I forget which) and it adds humic acids and lowers pH. It can help to add CO2 to tanks where CO2 is not injected, but this is indeed from a decaying process so you don't want much of that going on.

I have tried each of these things, once, and didn't see a great help in my tanks, but then, I think my moderately hard and quite alkaline water is just hard to adjust or soften without using stronger methods. In the end, I just accepted that I'm not going to be breeding certain fish unless I invest in a RO unit, which is not likely to happen. My tetras are fine in this water in the planted tanks with CO2 injection, the cichlids are fine in straight tapwater.

I have read in books, perhaps old books, of people suggesting that plants be stuck in chunks of peat to be planted in plain gravel tanks. These peat plates would be useful for that, of a square chunk was broken off. I think we have progressed past that now.

This peat is also considered "aquarium safe", for some peat from the garden center might not be. It is rather expensive, though, when you can get a cubic foot or two of peat at Walmart for $3 or $4.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:25 AM   #13
discusfever

I was wondering if you can use Peat from Home Depot or wal mart?

They have ones that are already prepared for pot use or planting new plants. They are circular and flat.. but when water is added, they get all big and plump... Do you guys know what I am talking about?
Old 12-05-2003, 11:24 AM   #14
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

I use a bale of peat I got from the garden center. I have never seen the product you describe. But I have seen Coco fiber like you describe and it's much different than peat.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:51 AM   #15
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Those jiffy pop up pots are too expensive for this, unless you just have one laying around. You would need to be sure it does not have fertilizers in it, it may as it is meant for seed starting. Just get a small bale of peat, as cheap as possible. $2 - $4 for 1 cubic foot is about right, 2 cf will be something like $3 - $6.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote