Changing brake pads on my Nissan Altima 05
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Changing brake pads on my Nissan Altima 05

One thing I am confused or no ways to find out is that if all front and rear pads the same size or are the same? I am seeing some models indicating the pads are for the rear. Other models didn't say anything.

Thanks.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (8/100%)

generally the rear pads are smaller because the rear brakes do less work.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge
my 29g story
Aquatic Delight is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post

Thanks. I am experienced in bicycle maintenance but not cars. It looks like the model numbers indicate if the pads are for the front or rear.... I thought they are the same size...

Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Pull them off and check. On my '09, the rears are about half the size of the front.
longgonedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

On 99 percent of vehicles the front pads are larger than the rear. If you can take apart a bicycle then you can change your front pads. Be sure to lubricate the caliper slide pins. They are what the caliper bolt threads into and they have a rubber boot on them where the slide into the caliper bracket. Just pull them out with the boot and use some hi temp caliper grease on them and put them back together. You will also need a large c-clamp or other tool to push the caliper piston back in to make room for the new pads. IMPORTANT- when you are done pump the brake pedal a few times with the engine off to push the caliper piston back out. If you don't you won't be able to stop with the first brake application.
Shangrila is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
On 99 percent of vehicles the front pads are larger than the rear. If you can take apart a bicycle then you can change your front pads. Be sure to lubricate the caliper slide pins. They are what the caliper bolt threads into and they have a rubber boot on them where the slide into the caliper bracket. Just pull them out with the boot and use some hi temp caliper grease on them and put them back together. You will also need a large c-clamp or other tool to push the caliper piston back in to make room for the new pads. IMPORTANT- when you are done pump the brake pedal a few times with the engine off to push the caliper piston back out. If you don't you won't be able to stop with the first brake application.

Thanks....

Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
elwray
Planted Member

Regarding the C-clamp - double check how to compress the rear pistons on your car. Some are the same as the fronts (simply push in) but some use a threaded piston that has to be spun as it's compressed. This usually requires a simple but specialized tool.
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I had to rent a tool kit for my brakes on my Jetta. Not really rent but I was charged until the tool kit was returned.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
elwray
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I had to rent a tool kit for my brakes on my Jetta. Not really rent but I was charged until the tool kit was returned.
The jetta is actually what I was thinking of when I mentioned that tool! I know some Mazda vehicles do something similar too.
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

VWs require a tool that turns the brake cylinders in the brake calipers while pushing them in, not too many others need this and you can just use a C-clamp to force the cylinders in. As far what brake pads to use just go to an auto parts store and they will tell you what you need. Rotors are cheap enough these days that you might as well change them while you are at it.
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
VWs require a tool that turns the brake cylinders in the brake calipers while pushing them in, not too many others need this and you can just use a C-clamp to force the cylinders in. As far what brake pads to use just go to an auto parts store and they will tell you what you need. Rotors are cheap enough these days that you might as well change them while you are at it.

I believe my Nissan Altima needs that tool to retract the piston on the rear caliper. Something like this
TEKTON 5807 5-in-1 3/8-Inch Drive Disc Brake Piston Retractor : Amazon.com : Automotive TEKTON 5807 5-in-1 3/8-Inch Drive Disc Brake Piston Retractor : Amazon.com : Automotive

I try to see if I can get it locally.

Just finished the front pads today. It was pretty easy. For the rear, I have to wait until next week since the rear pads are coming in next week.

Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 05-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #12
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
I believe my Nissan Altima needs that tool to retract the piston on the rear caliper. Something like this

I try to see if I can get it locally.
Most national autopart stores carry these in the tool aisle so you shouldn't have any difficulty. Small red and white blister pack.

I am pretty familiar with the VW setups. I certainly remember stripping the calipers the first time, but it gave me a good reason to upgrade to MK4 rear calipers.

Wife's old Dub

Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #13
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have to do brakes on my S2000 here this weekend. Fun stuff! Lucky for me I have a buddy with a shop and a lift so that makes life easier.
Clemsons2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

they are not the same size
the rear brakes also have the parking brake and you will want to adjust that if you are replacing the pads

make sure u sand the rotors smooth or have them taken to a machine shop with a quality lathe. poorly machined rotors will accelerate pad wear

this has nothing to do with me working for nissan, rather just experience.
use the factory pads!!! they are there for a reason, also MAKE SURE you SAVE THE METALLIC SHIM. it reduces noise and vibration. it is not cheap to replace. it will likely be stuck to the back of the brake pads and is a silver, copper color.
if its gone. go to a local nissan store and buy their value advantage pads, they are cheap, nissan approved, and come with replacement shims

otherwise if u have to buy aftermarket. buy hawk ferrocarbon pads

the rear caliper will need said tool.. it has to be turned in. take the resevoir cap off. it makes it easier
Old 05-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
20% to be exact

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.