40 gallon Hardscape Utah Dragonstone. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

1st impression MARS! I'd keep it simple, plant wise. Just a carpet plant. Fauna - Shimp, dwarf catfish, gobys....Make the viewer search to see the activity.

This could be an epic build.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default 40 gallon Hardscape Utah Dragonstone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
1st impression MARS! I'd keep it simple, plant wise. Just a carpet plant. Fauna - Shimp, dwarf catfish, gobys....Make the viewer search to see the activity.

+1 on this idea.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
DaveFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

I call it, "Opposition of Nature". Because the left side is concave with a window to light and the right side is convex with a window to darkness. My eye naturally starts at the cave and is pulled to the left towards the window of light.

I am still waiting on S. repens to come... I have Fissidens fontanus, Ammania sp. bonsai "True Rotala indica", Hydro sp. Japan, Hair grass, Blyxa japonica, Utricularia graminifolia "UG Bladderwort". And eventually I will put the S. repens on the upper and lower left side of the tank and within steep valley at the back.

Last edited by DaveFish; 05-11-2013 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: More info needed
DaveFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #19
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

This is going to look so sick once all the plants are in. That rock really is pretty cool looking too.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #20
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: 40 gallon Hardscape Utah Dragonstone.

Did anyone else use activated carbon in the substrate? It and the peat can be hard to control, me thinks.

The hardscape is dramatic. Looking forward seeing in green.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 05-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #21
DaveFish
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post

For sure, Maybe not simple for some, but for me it is. I do want a bunch of shrimp. A goby is a good idea. I have some Green Fire Tetras that I want to put in there. Personally I have to have some fish in there.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #22
DaveFish
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Did anyone else use activated carbon in the substrate? It and the peat can be hard to control, me thinks.

The hardscape is dramatic. Looking forward seeing in green.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Well ADA powersand special has peat and activated carbon. A lot of Aquascapers from Denmark that communicate with Tropica use only mineralized clay and unfertilized peat for the substrate and it works great. Once the carbon gets exhausted it won't be much more than added biological filtration, while holding organics in the substrate. And some other person on the plantedtank forum made their own MTS comparable to Aquasoil, which is cool, but takes more time and money to make than to just buy Aquasoil, and he had larger chunks of carbon, which I thought was a little over the top. Peat helps to trap minerals and organics in the substrate as well. What do you mean by hard to control?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

this thing will be epic!

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #24
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

That rock is intense! Great scape. You can also use plastic pieces placed in the soil to help keep the slopes up as well. Can't wait to see some plants in there!
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #25
DaveFish
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanotaenia View Post
That rock is intense! Great scape. You can also use plastic pieces placed in the soil to help keep the slopes up as well. Can't wait to see some plants in there!
Thanks, I did, but I still needed to do the method of filling the tank half way. And I don't wan't to use too many plastic pieces which would have been the result if I hadn't packed.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #26
Allentan97
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

dave, from the first time I saw the rocks in the video on youtube. i knew that this was gonna be an amazing tank, and indeed it is. i love the cave and the opening how they contrast. how much does the rock weigh? and how much per pound? thanks man. -Allen
Allentan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #27
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

This tank is amazing, I have to get some of those rocks for my 40b
kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
DaveFish
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentan97 View Post
dave, from the first time I saw the rocks in the video on youtube. i knew that this was gonna be an amazing tank, and indeed it is. i love the cave and the opening how they contrast. how much does the rock weigh? and how much per pound? thanks man. -Allen
I can get a good amount of rock into a large flat rate box. Consistently I get 20 lbs. The heaviest rocks weigh 8 lbs. And that is a large rock 8-12"x8-12" most large rocks only weigh 5-6 lbs and some weigh 4lbs. You will get 3-4 large large pieces, 3-4 medium pieces, few small and some rubble in a 20lb large flat rate box. For example, a heavy rock scape for a standard 55 gallon would need two 20 lb boxes. And extreme scape like my 40 gallon would be more like 5-6 boxes, and some rock are so big that I wouldn't be able to fit them into a flat rate box. I would have to ship normal with higher shipping. Those rocks are specialty and more expensive, but worth it if you HAVE to have something like that. I am going to start dividing up the really big specialty rocks and selling them separately.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #29
DaveFish
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjombeejoe View Post
This tank is amazing, I have to get some of those rocks for my 40b
I can get a good amount of rock into a large flat rate box. Consistently I get 20 lbs. The heaviest rocks weigh 8 lbs. And that is a large rock 8-12"x8-12" most large rocks only weigh 5-6 lbs and some weigh 4lbs. You will get 3-4 large large pieces, 3-4 medium pieces, few small and some rubble in a 20lb large flat rate box. For example, a heavy rock scape for a standard 55 gallon would need two 20 lb boxes. And extreme scape like my 40 gallon would be more like 5-6 boxes, and some rock are so big that I wouldn't be able to fit them into a flat rate box. I would have to ship normal with higher shipping. Those rocks are specialty and more expensive, but worth it if you HAVE to have something like that. I am going to start dividing up the really big specialty rocks and selling them separately.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #30
Allentan97
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

sweet man, when you mean rock heavy 55 gal, you mean like DET's? and do you have small pieces? like for a 10- 20 gal? thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
Allentan97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquascaping, aquasoil, dragonstone, fissidens, ugbladderwort