Blue algae in an established tank... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-01-2003, 09:01 PM   #16
HawkEye_Pierce
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

OK I think I can get rid of this BGA naturally...I added 2 airstones that I run at night only and moved my HOB filter to the center of the tank more to create more circulation...there is only very little BGA left...

HOWEVER, by using the airstones it removed a lot of my CO2...so I am going to try not running the airstones but leaving the filter in the center running on high...that's what I did last night and it looks good so far...

Plus I started adding KNO3 and my nitrates are around 4ppm...thx to whoever recommended the Greenlight Stump remover!!!! it was $3.50 for 1lb at Lowes!!

andfor those who don't already have it...here is a Windows version of Chucks Calculater for CO2 and other nutrients...its is a GREAT little program!!! THX Chuck!!!!

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/download/aquacalc_setup.exe
3 Zebra Danios, 3 Long-Finned Blue Danios, 2 Long-Finned Leopard Danios, 2 Horse-Faced Loaches, 1 Clown Pleco, 2 Fancy Guppies(male/female), 1 "Teenage" Guppy Fry, 5-6 sm. Guppy Fry, 2 Baloon Mollies, 2 Red Velvet Swordtails, 2 Ottos, 2 Yo-Yo Loaches, 1 Dwarf Puffer
HawkEye_Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2003, 06:32 AM   #17
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

For some follow up info, you might want to read the Conlin & Sears experiment http://www.cam.org/~tomlins/algae.html
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:33 PM   #18
HawkEye_Pierce
Algae Grower

Ok I just started treating with antibiotics (Maracyn *SP)...the BGA went away for a day or 2 and now its worse...how long should I treat the tank?...I am only using 1/2 dose (2 tabs for a 40g)...If I remember it should only take 2-3 days?

thx
3 Zebra Danios, 3 Long-Finned Blue Danios, 2 Long-Finned Leopard Danios, 2 Horse-Faced Loaches, 1 Clown Pleco, 2 Fancy Guppies(male/female), 1 "Teenage" Guppy Fry, 5-6 sm. Guppy Fry, 2 Baloon Mollies, 2 Red Velvet Swordtails, 2 Ottos, 2 Yo-Yo Loaches, 1 Dwarf Puffer
Old 12-04-2003, 02:08 AM   #19
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

I just started treating my BGA the other day with erythromycin. After the first day I noticed a distinct halting of the spread, if not even a reduction. I vacuumed out what I could and dosed again. I'm doing another dose right after I post this message. I haven't seen any signs of it coming back though.

I was counting on dosing for 5 days, but if the results keep up, I may just go with 3 doses.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:10 PM   #20
HawkEye_Pierce
Algae Grower

OK I dosed a half dose for 2 days then did a 25% water change...and then dosed again....should I dose one more time? it looks like the BGA is gone...but now is for the hard part......Finding out the cause and how to fix it...and since I can't find a phosphate, potassium or iron test kit in my area it's going to be some time before I can find the culprit

Any suggestions?

Thx
Old 12-05-2003, 10:27 PM   #21
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

From what I gathered in reading this, BGA can be caused by having insufficient nitrates. So maintaining 5 to 10 ppm will help to prevent it from happening again.