Pictures of my 85 G stock tub pond..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 03-05-2015, 02:09 AM   #1
GrampsGrunge
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pictures of my 85 G stock tub pond..

I set this tank up from early March of last year, and during the Spring, Summer and early Fall it was part of a larger system of stock tanks and acted as the whole system's plant bio filter. While the Lilies were coming back from the light and increase in warmth in March, I decided to put a few White Cloud Mountain fish in the 85 gallon "plant tank".

And later, as things progressed, 4 skinny little LFS Rosy Barbs were added to the tank with the White Clouds. The WC's of course spawned like crazy during April and May, and now we have about 200 of them as mature adults. Also the Koi in the largest stock tank spawned in June, and the Rosies and Whiteclouds ate a lot of the Koi babies. Everything sort grew exponentially after that.

Pictures of the tanks as they progressed, March 6th of last year..

Just getting some leaves coming to the surface.

Spring evening hardening off of the Hyacinthes outside, from last years cuttings from the pond.

After a an early May rainstorm

Baby White Clouds late May...

High Summer mid July and the plant tank has almost become over whelmed by Water Hyacinthes. The Lilies were not competing well The nearly grown White Cloud youngsters were discovering the joys of swimming up stream and down stream to the other two tanks via their overflows. The Rosy Barbs all had vacated the little tank to check out the upper settling tank where they grew even larger. I'm surprized they coud swim in such shallow streams flows.

more to come..
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
GrampsGrunge
Algae Grower

More images...
From early February, ( last month )

We've had a relatively mild winter this year only a few mild frosty morning and no days with below 35 degrees for a high. Saying this I did, last Late October put an old Ebo-Jager 200 watt heater in the 85 gallon pond after we prepped the bigger tank for winter and turned off the main circulation pump. I didn't want to have to buy some more Water Hyacinthe this spring and wanted to see if the Barbs and White Clouds would fare well with 50-55 degree water temps. I also made a pair of tank covers from some old 1/8" plexiglass sheet that helped with keeping the water temperature from going too low. Much to my surprise the fish and the plants did fine. Sometimes the pond would go below 50 but not by much.

My sister had an interesting experience with her backyard pond many years back in Portland OR. They had set up a satellite, above ground tub plant filter tank which had been populated with White Clouds and Zebra Danios.

Even with their harsh winters, the filter pond's little fish, the White Clouds and Danios made it through the winter with just a 100 watt aquarium heater to keep the water ice free. The Danios and WC's even spawned a couple of times. So she was giving the fish store extra fish at times.

Some images of the Barbs and White Clouds from last week.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

What an awesome looking pond. Using any filtration?

My little 28g tub pond was doing great all year then out of nowhere, green water and hair algae. I'm almost afraid to fix the problem because the fish have never been happier.
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
GrampsGrunge
Algae Grower

Thanks, it's been a interesting experiment.

For filtering, this late Fall and Winter we've just kept a long airstone, next to the Ebo-Jager, hooked to an airpump set at low flow and didn't feed the fish much. No filtering other than the Lilies and Water Hyacinthe slowly growing. Not much bioload with less than 70 little fish in the tank. Since the Koi tank, and settling pond are part of the whole set-up, (approx 500 gallons total)..

..later this month as the days' lengthen, the main pump will be cleaned and turned on, the settling tank cleaned and the plant tank will clear green water like it did last year. I was pulling pounds of Water Hyacinthe monthly from the plant-filter tank.

The settling pond will probably get some stem plants to assist. I'm thinking of getting Elgeria Densa.

We got a huge hatch-out of Daphnia in the settling tank last spring and it fed everyone. Not sure if the Daphnia will do so again this year. I'm hoping to get the Rosy Barbs to spawn this year, they've colored up so prettily, you'd hardly recognize them from the little silver runts they were last spring.

See that's the thing ponds and tanks that go green and all hair-algae aren't actually a bad thing. There's usually a lot of good food in tanks that go this route, Jorge Vierke is of the opinion that a green water or algae infested tank is a good place to put stressed and weak fish. It's kind of a fine line to run there though.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

In the year that I have had my goldfish, they literally did not grow and inch. The green hair algae/water appeared close to 2 months ago and the goldfish have grown considerably and never have been more active.

Anacharis would be a nice addition to your tank. I have maybe 10 stems in my tub.

This is when it was all nice and clear

AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.