Drift wood-or any type of wood...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-27-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
danpbmx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to danpbmx

i was wondering what are some good ways to sink drift wood (i hate that stuff thats drilled onto that slate uckkk) Or are there any other choices of wood to use? sticks,bark,anything!? i have this type of tree root in my tank and its very cool it sunk very nicely...:hehe:
danpbmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2002, 08:50 PM   #2
Flgatorguy
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Flgatorguy Send a message via Yahoo to Flgatorguy

maybe take the slate off the driftwood and soak it for awhile until its water-logged....that might do it
Old 11-28-2002, 01:57 AM   #3
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe leave the slate on it while you are water logging it, since that will encourage it to sink better. Then once you think it is water logged, take the slate off!

-Tim
Old 11-28-2002, 03:05 AM   #4
Flgatorguy
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Flgatorguy Send a message via Yahoo to Flgatorguy

HEHE well you can do that too lol =)
Old 11-28-2002, 05:00 AM   #5
danpbmx
Algae Grower

thanks, i will def. try that,any other suggestions of wood or root or someting that sinks??
Old 12-03-2002, 03:15 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

It's not cheap, but African driftwood is heavier and will sink, even when not waterlogged. It also has a much more gnarled, rough look. I took out my light North American Driftwood after it started rotting (after being submerged for three years) and I love this new stuff. It's not cheap, though.

PetSmart has some really nice looking plastic driftwood, though. Next tank, I am going to go with one of those. No phosphate leaching from rotting wood, no floating. Just decor.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:40 PM   #7
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is there any source for roots? I have seen the african drift wood, and it is good for small tanks (less $$) , but is pricy! I always see pictures of amazon tanks with roots and more branchy driftwood...Where do people find these?!

-Tim
Old 12-04-2002, 04:24 AM   #8
danpbmx
Algae Grower

i have two pieces of root,its very heavy and resembles drift wood kinda, but with little roots on the inside of it and alot of times has many differnt grooves for fish to hide and sticking plants like anubias and java fern into its crevises...i forgot what the exact name is but i get it at my LFS and its something-Root,ill find out next time i go and post it
Old 12-23-2002, 11:53 PM   #9
corvus
Planted Member

The lake I take fishing trips to every year has driftwood all over the place. They lower the lake by 10 feet or so in the fall so I walked around and picked up stuff!

Pieces too big to boil, so I just plopped them in the tank and took my chances. 10 weeks now, nothing bad happened from the wood.
corvus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2002, 12:25 AM   #10
danpbmx
Algae Grower

yea im thinking about doing that...im trying to water log mine right now, theve been sealed in a bucket for about 2 weeks...changing the water every so often so it dosent smell...i wonder how long it will take...?
Old 12-24-2002, 01:48 PM   #11
corvus
Planted Member

DanP,

Did you weigh down the wood? Rocks, bricks, whatever? It will speed up the waterlogging process. I also wouldn't seal the bucket, let it get air. If you say it smells, your probably getting hydrogen sulfide (swamp gas). Change water every 2 weeks until its sunk, and the water isnt stained by tannins in the wood. If you can do it outdoors I would.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:04 PM   #12
corvus
Planted Member

SPN5, Tim,

First I know I'm new here, and I'm not trying to be bossy.

You mentioned somewhere along the line that you are young and on a tight budget.

Do you live in a city or country area? If you are in the country or suburbs, I seriously encourage you to go collecting driftwood. Wait till spring, unless you dig the cold. Then go wander some streams and stuff. You can find some cool wood either in the water, or on the banks. It's free and I think it's fun! BE SAFE, go with a buddy, and don't drown yourself!

Then sink wood as mentioned above, and if it's small enough, boil it for 2 hours.

Matter of fact, I encourage anybody who can to do this. Looking at streams and natural landscapes also gives you good layout ideas.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:50 PM   #13
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Collecting driftwood of the shore of places is great! Since my older brother goes to University of MN in duluth, I have gone driftwood searching on the shores of lake superior, but they have more rocks available than wood that would sink....

I highly encourage anyone to do this! I went with one of my friends who also has aquariums and it as really really fun, especially with the lake superior, since it truly is beautiful! Good suggestion corvus, I am definitely going to try getting it "in the wild" before buying it, but am looking at the approach to a planted tank w/o driftwood. This book I have has a set up of a planted discus tank w/o driftwood so the discus are safe...

-Tim
Old 12-24-2002, 02:56 PM   #14
corvus
Planted Member

OOOHHH Discus, I've never had the nerve, good luck, they are beautiful!

One more thing about collecting.

Don't go during Hunting season! Most hunters are safe, but some few idiots will shoot anything that moves.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:59 PM   #15
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ha! Me try discus.... that is a good one! I am a huge fan of angelfish, so if anything if would be altums, not discus!

We all like to wish though...some day a long time from now maybe I'll have a discus tank, but by then they will probably have bread discus to be very hardy!

I was very surprised when I saw the tank! If you would have asked is there driftwood I would have said yes (just by a glance) because it looked amazing! Of course, all tanks in books look nice...

Plus, with the discus, say good bye to the budget!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.