New to Forum, need some help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 05-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Hardy85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

New to Forum, need some help

I posted this a Barr Report, but I also know many people that use this site so I thought I could join here too. More info the better... right?

Hey everyone. Just a quick intro I have 4 tanks, 1 55g planted community tank, 1 10g planted RCS tank, and 2 new 10g tanks that are cycling now and will be planted shrimp tank.

I am having issues with my 55 and would like some input

Lighting: DIY CFL 8 bulb fixture giving me 108W of 5000-5500 using "daylight" bulbs. Bulbs are about 2-3 months old
Substrate: Turface
Ferts: Using aquariumfertilizer.com Macro/Micro mix, dosing about 4ml per day
Root Tabs: I have Seachum Flourish Root tabs in currently - probably will go with a different brand when they need replaced
CO2 - dosing 6ml Metricide 14 with 50% PWC every saturday, dose 20ml on saturday after water change

Have lights on currently for 8hrs per day, 1pm - 9pm and tank get some indirect sun from a window in the room

Plant growth is great, I have the following in the tank - Amazon Sword, C. Red Wendtii, J Fern, Wisteria, Hygrophila Angustifolia, Moneywort, A. Nana, Subwassertang, Sag Chilensis, Gold Lloydiella, Phoenix Moss (moss not doing well)

My issue is that the plants are slowly getting algae build up, I constantly get algae on the glass (have tried leaving it be for 3 weeks and then remove, it only comes back), and also facing black brush algae on much of the driftwood I have in the tank. Without completely re-doing everything is there a way to start reducing the algae and eventually eliminate or reduce it?

Thank you, and I hope to learn a lot from this forum
Hardy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Adam C
Algae Grower

PTrader: (44/100%)

Any co2 on the tank? 108w for 8hrs a day with no co2 IMO is asking for algae. The GDA on your glass is likely a result of too much light. Reduce photoperiod or intensity, increase co2.

~ Adam
Adam C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Hardy85
Planted Tank Obsessed

CO2 is through Metricide 14 only. (same as flourish excel)
Old 05-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Adam C
Algae Grower

While it is a carbon source, it isn't co2. I would consider adding a pressurized system with that amount of light. At minimum I would suggest cutting back on amount of light.

The light is driving plant growth, but your plant growth is defined by the least plentiful resource. Light and fertilizers are easy. Co2 is not. And in many cases, its co2 that is limited.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Hardy85
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam C View Post
While it is a carbon source, it isn't co2. I would consider adding a pressurized system with that amount of light. At minimum I would suggest cutting back on amount of light.

The light is driving plant growth, but your plant growth is defined by the least plentiful resource. Light and fertilizers are easy. Co2 is not. And in many cases, its co2 that is limited.
Ok, I will cut the lights back, a pressurized system is a little out of the budget currently... at least if I want to keep my gf lol
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Adam C
Algae Grower

Well, to be honest, I think the pressurized co2 might be cheaper in the long run ; )

You could also consider a diy set up. Something is better than nothing.

~ Adam
Old 05-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
TeamKRF
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would guess that the indirect sunlight in the morning hours are extending your photo period (if sun up is 7am and your lights don't turn on till 9am that's 2 extra hours of light). 108watts CFL off 8 bulbs seems low to me since a CFL uses roughly 1/4 the watts of a incandescent bulb to put out same intensity. So multiply your total watts by 4. <== anyone please confirm or correct me if I'm wrong on that. Your WPG=7.85?
TeamKRF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
TeamKRF
Algae Grower

Get yourself a 2L of something to drink or just empty contents and rinse good. Bakers yeast or champagne yeast, sugar, baking soda= CO2
Old 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Adam C
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKRF View Post
I would guess that the indirect sunlight in the morning hours are extending your photo period (if sun up is 7am and your lights don't turn on till 9am that's 2 extra hours of light). 108watts CFL off 8 bulbs seems low to me since a CFL uses roughly 1/4 the watts of a incandescent bulb to put out same intensity. So multiply your total watts by 4. <== anyone please confirm or correct me if I'm wrong on that. Your WPG=7.85?
The WPG rule is outdated. Its not going to give a real representation of quantity of light. For example, taking those cfl and mounting them vertically with a directional reflector will greatly increase light amount. Mounted horizontally with no reflector will do the opposite.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=85667&page=2
Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
TeamKRF
Algae Grower

Ps. Make sure to use CO2 airline tubing, helps keep concentration of CO2. I guess it can leach out of regular airline tubing.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
TeamKRF
Algae Grower

I agree with you Adam that It's outdated being there are so many different types of light bulbs out there on the market.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
Hardy85
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yea, I have 8 cfl bulbs, horizontally with a bright white reflector. Not sure the exact amounts of light its been getting but its better than the 2 stock bulbs it had originally lol
Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
TeamKRF
Algae Grower

I use a variety of CFL's on my 20gal long including a self ballasted 200w 6500k equivalent that uses 68w, a 100w equivalent full spectrum, a 100w UVB, and 60w equivalent blue light. I slowly ramp up the lighting utilizing different timers with peak lighting output for 6hrs and then starts to ramp down till just blue night light with 6hrs of complete darkness. As you can tell it a 100% DIY lighting as well. (it seems anything I put in it starts breeding without changing any parameters 7 different species)