High phosphates?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
newb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

High phosphates?

Hey all!

Hoping someone can help me resolve my brown algae problem. Was reading this is usually related to poor/excess lighting, poor circulation, new or unclean tanks. I have adequate circulation and great filtration with activated carbon, I do 15% water changes weekly with treated tap water. Lighting is not the case, lights are left on no more than 8 hrs. daily, and I have experimented with different lighting methods in the past. It doesn't matter if the tank is new or established, as my current one has been running well over a year. I have recently introduced live plants, had thought the plants would outcompete the algae for nutrients. Now I have brown algae growing on my plants. I was wondering if I should try a phosphate remover, or would this affect my plant growth? Anyone have a suggestion for a phosphate remover product? Advice much appreciated!
newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Adam C
Algae Grower

PTrader: (47/100%)

Plants need nutrients to live and grow. Attempting (key word) to remove enough nutrients to limit algae growth is difficult to say the least. And in the process your plants will starve to death and release more waste into your tank. Grow healthy plants and don't fight algae.

By brown algae I'm assuming you're talking about diatoms?
Adam C is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
newb
Algae Grower

Yes, referring to diatoms.

If attempting to remove silicates/phosphates is a bad idea, is there anything else I could try? It is very unsightly, and I'm finding it difficult to clean/remove now that I have live plants in the tank. Thanks again
Old 05-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Adam C
Algae Grower

I'm assuming you're using tap water? How big is the tank? Any other kinds of algae?

I would do larger w/c for starters. Many of us do 50% or greater weekly.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Brown algae is common in newly planted tanks. Give it about a month and it should reduce significantly, especially if you have sufficient lighting and such.

PS: Phosphates do not cause algae.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
newb
Algae Grower

I am using tap water and the tank is a 28 gallon. I have recently introduced plants; however, the tank itself is over a year old and I have been battling this algae the whole time. No other algae besides diatoms present in the tank. Before introducing plants, I was doing large w/c, but I began to suspect that perhaps something in my tap water was allowing brown algae to thrive as large w/c didn't seem to make much of a difference.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Adam C
Algae Grower

Sounds like your tap water has some silicates in it or your substrate does. What kind of substrate are you using? You should be able to find a water quality report from your municipal water supplier.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
newb
Algae Grower

For substrate, it is just standard pea gravel. If my water supply or gravel has excess silicates, what are my options then (if any)? Really appreciate all the feedback!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I am using tap water and the tank is a 28 gallon. I have recently introduced plants; however, the tank itself is over a year old and I have been battling this algae the whole time. No other algae besides diatoms present in the tank. Before introducing plants, I was doing large w/c, but I began to suspect that perhaps something in my tap water was allowing brown algae to thrive as large w/c didn't seem to make much of a difference.
Hello,
I would be happy to have just diatoms in my tank, there are worst algae than those!

You have introduced plants only recently. Give them time to install and thrive and you should see diatoms reduce significantly, if the plants grow and have what they need. It can take weeks and months. In the meantime you can remove manually what you can.

Fast growers and floating are the best to compete algae.

I am not toward removing phosphates, plants need phosphates. I add phosphates in my tank regularly, PO4 is 1ppm in my tank, even more sometimes.

Michel.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
newb
Algae Grower

Thank you for the advice! Guess I thought the plant introductions would have an immediate effect on the diatoms. I'm going to tough it out, and maybe check into an algae-eating cleanup crew to help me out in the meantime
Old 05-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #11
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

Shrimp and otto cats will eat diatoms pretty quick.

But.......my question to you is how well is the growth of your plants doing?

Focus on what makes the plants grow well.

That's your goal here, when that is taken care of, algae is a much much smaller issue. I do not think anyone has gotten into this hobby to learn how to kill algae, at least I've not met anyone yet.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
maxtcee
Algae Grower

In my experience with diatoms just keep vacuuming as much out as you can and eventually in a few weeks it will all disappear
maxtcee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #13
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Shrimp and otto cats will eat diatoms pretty quick.

But.......my question to you is how well is the growth of your plants doing?

Focus on what makes the plants grow well.

That's your goal here, when that is taken care of, algae is a much much smaller issue. I do not think anyone has gotten into this hobby to learn how to kill algae, at least I've not met anyone yet.
I changed my water on Sunday, its Tuesday today and I have diatoms on my glass already. Alot quicker than last week. Last week I dosed less macro, this week alot. My circulation is good, all plants perling like crazy and they are growing like crazy too. So excess nutrients (I should measure it with test kit actually) under high light (I have T8s now, sold T5HO) = diatoms. Thats what Im assuming.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

couple of oto catfish will clean that up in notime.
dzega is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

PTrader: (10/100%)

My amanos would live a week in your tank. That's one of their faves.
ShyShrimpDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.