Question about pumps
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-25-2003, 04:33 PM   #1
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

When I use my Python to suck the gunk out of my big tank I have to constantly back flush it due to it clogging.

I decided to rig up a pump thinks that the pump would act as a garbage disposal and chew the gunk up, spit it out and keep on going. The problem I ran into was I could not get the pump (a Rio 1700) to prime with the hoses hooked up. I tried with the pump in a sink and with the pump in the tank and it would not prime either way. If I removed the intake hose, it would prime instantly but when I put the hose back on it would reduce the output to a trickle and in a short time it would stop completely.

the length of the hoses is about 10 ft. each (intake and output). I would think this pump could push water thru 10 ft of hose as it's a pretty powerful pump. I really have no idea why I couldn't get this to work.

btw: The "gunk" I'm referring to is some kind of algae (yet to be identified) that this tank produces in commercial quantities. I'm thinking of tearing the tank down and starting over but even if I do, I'll need some way to get this gunk out.
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Will the pump move water with a shorter output hose?

I am thinking the RIO 1700 does not have 10ft Head. That could be why the water trickles out and then stops.

Mike
Old 11-25-2003, 09:13 PM   #3
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Will the pump move water with a shorter output hose?

I am thinking the RIO 1700 does not have 10ft Head. That could be why the water trickles out and then stops.

Mike
Sounds like you're pretty close on this...

My suggestion would be to splice the pump into the middle of the python somewhere, maybe just after the tank. This way the pump is sitting in the middle so the syphon presure of the water existing the tank is helping the pump push the water back up to the sink.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:12 AM   #4
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks. I'll try shorting the hoses and using a bucket instead of running it outside. I'd rather not do it this way but it looks like I have no choice.

I always thought that "head" was the distance straight up a pump can move water. Is it just the length of the hose ?

Momotaro, if I pull the hose off the intake, it will instantly pump like mad so yes, the hose is the culprit.
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote