75G Demasoni/Lab Setup... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-22-2006, 11:31 PM   #16
JenThePlantGeek
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek

VERY NICE! Love the dark substrate.

Can you tell us anything else about your caves / rockwork? Did you make those? I've never seen anything like them!
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
JenThePlantGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2006, 12:48 AM   #17
Ryzilla
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

The dark hardscape is wonderfully contrasting with the plants and fish. It is very peacfull. I would like to see how it fares out with that amount of light and no ferts/Co2. I think some larger val would look great inplace of the sag, maybe Jungle or American to lay across some of the surface and block some of the light. Great job

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
Ryzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:04 AM   #18
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Jen: The stones are feather rock that I had to water log. I made all the holes and passages in the rock using a few files and a large masonry drill bit. I also had to sand each piece due to the porous nature of feather rock which makes it very sharp. My hands took a beating during the working of the rock for sure. Several hours later and I had some nice pieces.

Ryzilla: The tank has been running at the current light level for a few months now. I am getting some brown algae and a light fizzy coating of diatoms on some of the rocks and anubias. The fish keep this algae in check though. It's hardly noticeable and looks natural to the casual eye. I do get the usual green dust algae on the glass which is minor and is easily removed during the weekly WC. Initially I had 330W over the tank which was creating some nice bright green algae on the rocks which pearled most of the day. I reduced it so I could use one of the AH Supply kits over my experimental tank. I had actually already thought of your idea using the vals to grow over the right side of the tank and block some light. I bought about 30 Giant Vals and unfortunately the fish had them chewed down to nubs in a matter of a week. They sure do like the taste.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:22 AM   #19
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (244/100%)

try crypt spiralis instead of vals, my cichlids never touched those and you will get the same effect. Nice tank!
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:26 AM   #20
yznj99
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice choices of fish/rock/substrate/plants etc, clearly you've done lots of research before setting up this tank. These fish eats alage in the wild but they could become lazy in captivity, hell, my cardinals stop eating flake food once they are on live bloodworms for a few months. Glad this setup work out for you!
yznj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #21
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

YZN: The fish spend a lot of their time grazing the rocks for algae, it's a lot of fun to watch.

Bigstick: I have C. Balansae and C Retrospiralis in there already, just in few quantity. They have not touched these yet. If I could buy the crypts in bulk it would be great but I don't think I am ready to invest that kind of capital.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #22
gonzobluefuzz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by yznj99
This is the dream setup I've always wanted but currently don't have the time/money/permit
Permit??????

Snails and algae are all I seem to be able to cultivate
gonzobluefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:17 PM   #23
yznj99
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzobluefuzz
Permit??????
I meant wife's permission
yznj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:03 AM   #24
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

Update :

About 5 weeks ago this tank was converted back to a planted tank. My mbuna kept dying of what appeared to be bloat despite what I would consider pristine water conditions and diet. This is very discouraging because the fish were fairly expensive, especially for me. I ended up selling the fish to a local hobbyist.

Please refer to my original 75G planted thread where I will resume this tanks progress. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...erfloater.html
Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #25
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

what are you feeding your cichlids? i have been breeding demasoni, so maybe i can help!

Alan
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:23 AM   #26
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

Wow... a late response.

I was feeding NLS and spirulina flake.