H2O2 spot treatment on nana roots ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

H2O2 spot treatment on nana roots ?

Background:
I have recently had great success with a 2-3min peroxide soak of crypts & nanas to remove all algae (BBA, GSA, & fuzz) from the leaves. I also scrubbed the BBA off w/ a dish pad prior to the soak. This however required up rooting the plants. I was very careful to not soak any roots in the H2O2 as I was unsure if this would kill the plant since they were already in super poor health (transparent, half of the leaves have major holes, many missing 25-50% of the leaf).

I'm in process of redoing the tank and am almost complete (pressurized CO2 in place, new high light LEDs in place, root pellets in place, will have another powerhead and 2 drop checkers in place by weeks end, and fertilizers in hand next week to begin EI). I've never done any sort of fertilization or CO2 until now.

Now that these plants in poor health are showing pearling and a lot of new growth for both leaves & roots I want to finish knocking out the algae before I begin my EI fert dosing regiment next week.

Now the questions:
- Without having to remove the plants from the tank or from being tied to driftwood can someone tell me if it's safe for the roots & stems to accept H2O2 spot treatments to kill the remaining BBA (after turning off all flow to tank) ?

- If so how long before turning back on the filter, CO2, & powerhead ?

- As for the fresh green spot & fuzz algae on the leaves (including new growth) can I spot treat those as well in the same manner or do you think this stuff will simply go away (after a week or so of dosing) after I begin my EI dosing and therefore not to bother with treatment here ?

- Or would one suggest a black out instead and if that doesn't work do the 2-1 punch after another black out ? I'm hesitate for this option due to such poor plant conditions as it is.
jfynyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No ideas ?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfynyson View Post
Questions:
- Without having to remove the plants from the tank or from being tied to driftwood can someone tell me if it's safe for the roots & stems of nanas to accept H2O2 spot treatments to kill the remaining BBA (after turning off all flow to tank) ?
Yes.

Quote:
- If so how long before turning back on the filter, CO2, & powerhead ?
I usually wait 10 minutes.

Quote:
- As for the fresh green spot & fuzz algae on the leaves (including new growth) can I spot treat those as well in the same manner or do you think this stuff will simply go away (after a week or so of dosing) after I begin my EI dosing and therefore not to bother with treatment here ?
You can try spot treating as well, but if you do not address the underlying issues, the algae will eventually come bacl.

Quote:
- Or would one suggest a black out instead and if that doesn't work do the 2-1 punch after another black out ? I'm hesitate for this option due to such poor plant conditions as it is.
I have found black outs to not work against BBA.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
limz_777
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

i ever blackout a tank due to decommission , the bba on my rocks still stay strong after three to four weeks , in the end i had to manual remove it
limz_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The peroxide method seemed to work but only for a while. Since then it's grown back very slowly. Started out looking like green fuzz (tiny hairs not the long hair type algea) but after a few weeks it's looking a light brown in color making me think it's BBA that I'm just keeping at lower levels (maybe I'm wrong).

I'll be performing my weekly WC tonight at which time I'll be removing my plants (only nana's & crypts at this point) and soaking them in H2O2 once again. This time including the roots (didn't do that last time and maybe it spread from there). I've been dosing EI since last Fri and CO2 since 4/23/13 to help get at the root cause. So I'm getting all parameters right and feel I need to kill it off again. I have new plants on the way and need to get this under control now !

I started adding O2 at night now via air stone under a powerdead and will be figuring out how to raise my lights (currently sitting on tank rim as that's the only place I can right now). I'm now believing my last contributing factor will be way too much light (4 30" LEDs on 135gal) until I can get more plant density. Someone on this forum has been gracious enough to send me a few big plants to help in this cause. I've spent ~$1500+ in the past few months (CO2 system, LEDs, ferts, etc...) and just do not have the money right now for more plants. I'm very appreciative of plant donations at this time and will return the favor to each contributor once I get this under control.

I'll be sure to create a journal once this tank starts looking better and will be giving creidt to all who have helped me out.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I spot treated the nana's crypts (on Sun.) as well as tested it out on some stones & driftwood. See pic after about 10 - 15 sec they turned into Alka seltzers ha ha ha. I turned the powerheads and filter back on after about 20-30 min. I tried to scrub off the algae after that but it's still too tough at that point (without ripping the leaves).

So, last night (water change night) I decided to pull them out and do a soak. Most of the algae by this point was easy to remove simply by shaking the plant under water ! Since the spot treatment didn't get good enough coverage (thanks to my 8" Clown Loach & 12" Pleco causing turbulence) I pulled all plants, stones, and driftwood for 3-5min H2O2 soak (this time including roots). They fizzed right away, I trimmed all leaves & stems that showed poor health and trimmed excessive roots. Seeing lots of good growth though.

I've been injecting CO2 & using root pellets (iron & trace) since 4/23, dosing EI since last Fri. I built shelving last night to hang my LEDs in order to get them raised off the tank rim and reduced my photoperiod from 7hrs to 6hrs. These things are far too bright from my current plant density. Have some donated plants coming in today and hope to get more next week !

Any suggestions what it means to have a 135gal moderately to densely stocked w/ plants & how much you think I need to get my tank up to ? (i.e. how many bunches, stems, etc.. of how many different varieties)

I'll be sure to post a journal once I get this under control
Old 05-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

fizzing after H2O2

Last edited by jfynyson; 10-16-2013 at 06:55 PM..