What do I do about Phosphate
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
epfakan

PTrader: (0/0%)

What do I do about Phosphate

So I just order dry fertilizers from aquariumfertilizer.com and they have a macro micro premixed package of Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Plantex CSM+B. So I bought all of these but as single lbs so I can alter the mix later if I want but after ordering I noticed that their missing phosphate. I will be using them with EI, my tank is well established so their should be some P but i dont have a large bio load. I am afraid nutrient imbalance might create algae if I start KNO3, K2SO4,MgSO4 w/o any P

Should I buy a lbs of mono Potassium Phosphate and wait til it arrives to start fert? Or is it ok b/c the P ppm need to be so low anyways?
Or am I just totally wrong about the P, I would expect it to be in a macro/micro package? no..
Thanks
epfakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

It needs to be dosed separately from the iron in the micro mix as it will precipitate it out under certain conditions. Too bad AF doesn't offer it bagged separately and sold with the nice mix they sell, be easier for those that don't really want so much stuff. I don't know of anything dire that will happen if phosphate happened to drop to zero if you start with the rest of them. Just wait until you have it in hand if you have concerns, won't take long to get to you.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by epfakan View Post
So I just order dry fertilizers from aquariumfertilizer.com and they have a macro micro premixed package of Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Plantex CSM+B. So I bought all of these but as single lbs so I can alter the mix later if I want but after ordering I noticed that their missing phosphate. I will be using them with EI, my tank is well established so their should be some P but i dont have a large bio load. I am afraid nutrient imbalance might create algae if I start KNO3, K2SO4,MgSO4 w/o any P

Should I buy a lbs of mono Potassium Phosphate and wait til it arrives to start fert? Or is it ok b/c the P ppm need to be so low anyways?
Or am I just totally wrong about the P, I would expect it to be in a macro/micro package? no..
Thanks

you are likely to get algae if you dose everything in higher amount and not dose any P at all, just remember that if you lack one of those nutrients, then others will just sit there and do nothing. for right now you can dose less than 1/2 of EI till you get the Phosphate, am sure there is small amount of P in your tank.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
micheljq
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

You have missed something, they have P as well.

Check for KH2PO4, Mono Potassium Phosphate, I see it on their web site.

Michel.

Last edited by micheljq; 05-01-2013 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: typo
micheljq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

OP bought the ingredients of the Macro/Micro mix separately and it doesn't have phosphate mixed in so it wasn't purchased. It is on its way, OP wanted to to know what could happen in an established tank if P wasn't dosed for a few days. Since there is likely some phosphate in the tank it may go to zero. I never had anything horrible happen back before I dosed phosphate using the old PMUDD system. Plants do better with phosphate though.

Tags
dosing, fertalizer, phosphate, planted, tank