Getting started
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Nevada

Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Jharder1985

PTrader: (0/0%)

Getting started

Im looking to start a small aquascape with a 5 - 10g tank. Im looking for suggestions for filters lighting and plants. I saw something that looked like a tree ounce and id like to see how to do that.
Jharder1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Nicklv

Well I am kind of a beginner myself, I just set my 40g tank a few weeks ago. Lights it all depends what plants u are looking to grow, myself I bought the fugeray since they are led they don't need replacement bulbs and they use less power. Those lights are a low/mid for my tank and it looks like my micro sword is growing very strong.

Aqua clear are a very nice hang on back filter in my opinion. And the tree looking thing u saw, might just have been drift wood with some moss growing on it. It's very hard to find fresh water plants in Vegas, the only way it's to go to a lfs and order it from em.
Nicklv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Jharder1985

this is the tree i am talking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_Syrah_Large.jpg (112.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I believe that "tree" is using willow/peacock moss to make the leaves. Personally your going to need a taller tank than 5-10 gallons to make a the trunk and leaves proportional. Just remember the taller the tank - the stronger the lights have to be to reach the substrate (if you choose to carpet or have light demanding plants)

Really it's up to your budget on how hard you want to go. I have a 6 gallon edge (chop top) with Co2 and ADA lighting (I wouldn't recommend ADA LED lighting - it works but it seems very low light for LED's)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000928.jpg (103.1 KB, 6 views)
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

found this if you want to make your moss tree - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=102173
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Jharder1985

Looks like a really good idea, ill try setting one up soon
Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
animedays

Hi! I've been lurking for weeks I guess you can say, but I've had "low tech" type plant tanks on and off for years. My biggest at one point was a 100 gallons, but now I have nanos (everything from unfiltered planted shrimp tanks to a 6.6 gal). This would be my first post XD

Your moss tree can be low tech, but will grow better like the picture in higher light (with CO2). Depending on the moss, it's look can be different depending on the conditions it was grown in.

Please excuse me if my former Fish store employee speals start to kick in XD....
I'd suggest either setting up a budget for yourself, or researching different types of set ups. Decide if you want fish or inverts. Also I suggest researching the plants you find before you buy them. If you go low light, most of the stores seem to sell higher light plants or semi-aquatics, and in the end you may fail with these.

From my own personal experience and sticking to what I generally see in stores here:

I'm assuming here - but if you go low light, lower tech some great starter plants:

- Certain mosses (quite a few can do well in low light set ups)
* buy from a hobbyist, they seem to transition better vs. going through several "acclimation periods" from nursery to distributor to sales store. Store bought mosses generally will come around, they just seem to take longer.

- Many common Crypts. These will occasionally melt, but generally will come back (most of the time)
* I love Crypts, and if you like these and do well with them there are some "rare" collector varieties out there. I don't have any, but I do drool.

- Marimo Moss balls

- Java Ferns and Boltitus (if you can find them)
* I have seen Bolbitus heteroclita in the Petco on Marks. It isn't related to Java Fern but has similar needs.
* Java Fern has become fairly popular in recent years, and is pretty easy to find, but there are some more "exotic" varieties out there

- Onion Plant (Crinum)

- Anubias (most - recommend Nana and Barteri)

- Round Pelia (ok, never seen it in a store, but I might be able to spare a starter culture if you ever want)
animedays is offline   Reply With Quote