Cypress branch cleaning?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 07-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
BDoss1985
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Cypress branch cleaning?

Found this dead cypress branch while fishing i want it in my 55 but everyone says to boil to clean and it's way to big to boil or soak

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Jonny
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Soak it in the bath? will take much longer mind, but you could use pretty hot water out the tap.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
BDoss1985
Planted Member

Well there's one bathtub here so, I cant have it in use too long either lol
Old 07-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Subtletanks91
Suspended

PTrader: (35/100%)

Nt to get off topic, but I have never heard of using cypress in tanks. What other types of wood are out there that can be used aside from mopani, Malaysian, manzanita???

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Subtletanks91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
BDoss1985
Planted Member

Well cypress is a natural water loving wood, and i've seen alot of people using it in their's mostly knees not branches. By my understanding most woods can be used in the aquarium but need to be dead and cleaned.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

You could make a pond from concrete blocks and a plastic liner.

If you cut/break the wood down to the size you are going to use it might be easier to deal with.

Since it was already in the water you mostly want to kill nasties. Bleach or H2O2 can be used for that, doesn't have to be boiling water. Perhaps just spraying a solution on could kill leeches, insect larva or hydra. Pressure washer would get stuff out of cracks, wouldn't it?

Using a dull metal edge to scrape off the outside of the wet wood would remove rotted stuff.

You could break down the tank it is intended to go in and use it to soak the wood.

I have big plastic tubs for storage and could soak half the wood at a time. You may have even larger ones around.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm assuming it was already in the water where you found it? if so, just letting it dry out will probably kill almost anything to be concerned about.

If the cinderblock/liner doesn't work, you could also just dig a hole and use a liner (if you have the yard space)

If it wasn't in the water, you could simply tie it to a stake and chuck it back in near where you found it (or a closer body of water) for the soaking, and come back and get it after a little while (plus, no need to worry about water changes).

for removing the dead/rotted wood, a stiff brush will probably work just as well as a scraper, and get in crevices/hard to reach places, and be less likely to noticeably mark the wood.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
Rodneywt1180b
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think killing any nasties hitching a ride would be your biggest concern. I would use a scrub brush with a bleach solution-no soap- and give it a good once over then hose it off really well outside. Maybe let it dry for a day or two afterward then it should be good to go.
I've used driftwood I've found with no ill effects before with far less cleaning but it's colder here so less chance of any parasites that can take different conditions.
Cypress may have some extra tannins and may stain your water some but you're already ahead of the game there because the wood has already been soaking.
Looks like you'll end up trimming it back some for it to fit but it's a cool piece of wood.
Rodney
Rodneywt1180b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
BDoss1985
Planted Member

Got it soaking in a kiddy pool for the last 2 days doesn't seem to be discoloring the water any, yeah it was half in the water when we found it and half hung up in some cypress, can't wait to get it in and figure what I'm gonna do with it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta