First Father & Kids Tank - 20 High - 5/23/14 update! Ich Death recovery! - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #121
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

WHEW all that business got my nitrites down from 2ppm to .25ppm. My son pointed out all the junk in the tank i should pluck out, and we're not going to put any more stress zyme in unless there's another spike - but we will add melafix for a few more days for the new fauna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #122
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's a pic of a brave Celestial Pearl Danio! They are all juvies - or should I say, shrimp-sized? A bit red around the gills, hopefully any ammonia related trouble from the shipping trip will subside soon, but they are all definitely zipping around now.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #123
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow...lovely tank!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #124
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Loving this tank and you are right...that sword really grew...wow! This tank is all that much sweeter since your kids are so involved. I plan to do the same with my kids also. They love my tank and I let them help feed and they are very interested in seeing it every day. In fact when my 6yo daughter comes home from school every day the first thing she does is comes into my downstairs office and checks it out. The only reason I haven't set up one of my 2 1/2 gal or 3 gal eclipse upstairs is I am afraid my 3 1/2yo son might get rough with it...who knows spill it everywhere or something. I have plans for the future however. Also, GREAT INFO about that stresszyme... I may have to pick some of that up "just in case"
Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #125
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh yeah, that stress zyme totally works - just one day dose and the nitrites read zero!

pH is 6.4 hmm, kinda lower than the 7.0...

ammonia is zero, nitrates very close to zero.

All in all, fun stuff - all fauna alive and happy, kids happy, no worries! whew!!

so what am i gonna do with the bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only coming? Haha, never hurts to just dump it in there when it comes I guess.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #126
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Other than the fact that the tank reads 81F degrees, this is the first full day where something didn't get us worried in the tank! In celebration, here's a new vid - bloodworm feeding time, with plenty of Celestial Pearl Danio action. The song was long so I had to loop the vid, haha:

Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #127
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The CPDs' fave hiding spot is right in the middle behind the petrified wood (not as good a spot as in the stems, but hey I'm not a CPD), and when they are brave they like to hang out near the marimo ball, like so:

Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #128
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Everyone still alive and healthy in the tank today, but doing the water tests we saw the nitrites creeping up to .15ppm - not much, but not zero either. So maybe the stress zyme was dying out and the water based bacteria still didn't catch up. So it's good timing that the Dr. Tim One and Only nitrifying bacteria came, which is the good water based type. No such thing as overdosing this one they said, so in goes the whole bottle, muahaha! Milky water at first but it'll clear up very quickly - think of it like a positive bacterial bloom.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #129
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow only took an hour for the bacteria to go crystal clean water. Plus, I found a sad source of ammonia- dead nerite snail. Thus, my one and only foray to petco was a short lived one.

As I was fumbling to get the snail out, the CPD swarmed my hand, thinking it was feeding time? Crazy, maybe because these were tank born, they aren't as shy?

Speaking of which, one of the CPD males claimed the cholla wood area as his territory, which happens to be out in the open. So there he is, most of the time, just checking out that moss on top of the cholla wood, making sure everything's in the right place, haha!

Last edited by Jahn; 06-04-2013 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: CPD
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #130
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another day, another no-death! My kids will help with checking the water params tonight (littlest one likes to count the drops) and we'll do a WC if needed, but I have a feeling it may be a bit early to need that.

The Red Root Floaters aren't putting down red roots as quickly as I thought they would, and some of them have leaves that are thinning out. Hmm, don't tell me the ferts aren't enough for them to pull out of the water?

On the other hand, the long leafed and stemmed plants are exploding, especially the amazon sword. That thing has three leaves now that have broken the surface of the water, whoa! The anacharis I got at the same time only managed to have one of the stems I got to rival that performance.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #131
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Son did a water parameter test, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 (yay!), Nitrate around 3ppm, pH 6.4, Temp 78F.

TDS meter came! Tap is 34, tank is 141. Seems ok since it should be around 100 more than tap, right?

Glam shot of the night - a side view getting CO2 bubbles to give a Space scene for the celestial pearl danios:

Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #132
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New Video! Feeding time, a tiny sliver of algae wafter that popped out of the glass dish right before the vid started, ugh. Didn't stop everyone from attacking it though, including the "shy" CPD, who totally started swarming my hand as I was lowering the dish - I guess they're already cool with the place!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #133
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=backlight

That thread got me thinking - hide all the stuff hanging off the back of the tank like the filter, cables, CO2 line with a white foamboard, and at the same time have it serve as a backdrop for light diffusion. Backlight would be the old Aqueon CFL hood's full spectrum bulb, and now that the HOB is propped by the foamboard i could use the HOB's plastic offset dongle to offset the aqueon hood light from the back of the tank at any angle needed. Separate outlet from the LED so it could run even when the LED turned off due to the timer, and bingo - done! Here's the setup, and some examples of how it looks with the Current Freshwater LED plus - RGB madness!

Here's a Sunrise look, with a low light orange coming from the LED:

Here's a little moonrise:

Here's a Blair Witch Project look with the LED off and just the backlight on:

And here's my son's favorite, an Aqua look that makes it seem like the water is blue and the plants still pop green:

Old 06-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #134
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

RATS a neon tetra died, snared in the moss above the cholla wood. Small ammonia spike, so i trimmed the moss and did a water change (three shrimp scooted out of the cholla during this, 2 sakura and one pumpkin. So they ARE alive!)
Old 06-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #135
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok plant growth is out of control. saw pearling from the ludwigia for the first time today too, so i'm guessing the balance of light and gas in the water is just fine. had to trim so so many long stems again, took this time to create two different "forests" to the left and right with more density, and in the middle plant some foreground plants that ended up being more like midground plants - but I planted them on a hill behind the back-most petrified wood right in the middle. Draws the eye for having a different look than the long stemmed plants to the left and right. Also, lowered the horizon of the foreground plants a bit.

Going to let the fish get used to all of that for a day before doing a water test to see if i stirred anything nasty up from the substrate possibly requiring a water change. Without further ado, here's the new look: